St. John's [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Here's the report from St. John's site.

http://www.redstormsports.com/pls/portal30/sportdev.redstormsports.press_release?p_id=2836

That's two straight solid wins over ranked teams - and in the Big East, to boot - for the Johnnies after getting thumped in their first two games. Nice to see them recover.

Interestingly, Guy Hertz, the starter in 2001, started the two wins over Bill Gaudette, an All American candidate who had a great year in 02.

Anyone know if the GK switch was tactical or due to injury?

Also, looks like Ryan Kelly, the UVa transfer, isn't even starting. Granted, St. John's will be a Top Ten team this year while UVa, even with Kelly, was gonna struggle, but you have to wonder about going from being a starter to being a reserve as a senior.

Also, the St. John's website SUCKS! They have stats from 2000-2002 but no stats for this year. The schedule they have listed is "tentative" and the roster they have linked is for 2002.

Its a new year, boys. How's about updating the ol' website?

2. Yeah..the St Johns website does suck....

Basically, St Johns owned the first half last nite. Looks like last year is long in the past. Two straight 3 goal games against ranked opponents. The defense was once again VERY solid. I was quite curious about Gaudette also, looked like he was on the bench last night, even warming up with Guy Hertz. Conway's biggest problem was that he was getting into it with the fans, and cheerleaders, and anyonewho said anything. Granted most keepers will show a finger or two, but everytime the ball would be in the other end, he would turn around and talk to the students. His coaches should teach him to play the game..and not the fans.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    A friend of mine saw St. John's wax Notre Dame, and he said the best player on the field for the Redmen was Matt Groenwald, who I think is a sophmore.

Comments??

4. Junior I think, but thats the truth. He scored the last two St Johns goals and shredded Rutgers' outside backs with his footwork and his runs. Definately the best player on the field against Rutgers.

5. soccerwriter

soccerwriter New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    new york
    masur said before the season started that gaudette and hertz will most likely split time (both have started two games). kelly has started but has been too inconsistent early on for masur's liking.

as for groenwald, check out this story on collegesoccernews.com

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/page38.html

6. Groenwald came up through the same Chicago Magic side as Grabavoy & CJ Klass.

7. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Matt Groenwald

I was at the Rutgers game- he was indeed the best player on the field. He's got very good pace, and his second goal was a rocket of a shot from outside the box.

I'm not sure how he would fare against serious defenders in the college game, but he certainly had his way whenever he wanted against the relatively young rutgers defense.

Is it just me, or is Chris Wingert very over-rated? I think he's a solid defender, but U-23 National Team starter, and all-american?

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Matt Groenwald

I think you have to see Chris play a few times to appreciate him. He's not flashy but very consistent and makes the other players better. I'm not defending him because I think there are other defenders who are more dominating in college soccer. Is he overrated....well be gets so much credit for what he does he probably is a touch overrated.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheesh, 3 surgeries and TWO sports hernias in two years. Before this year, I had never heard of a sports hernia, with Ivanov, Mathis and this guy, now I've heard of it three times in the space of 6 months.

Sounds like a helluva player.

10. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Agree

terpfan,
    I've seen Chris play about 8 times (all for St. john's) both last season and this. I agree he is consistent, and he makes other players better. In fact, in my playing days, i always respected players like him- he's not a tremendous athlete, but he does read the game pretty well.

I see him getting the kinds of accolades reserved for the top 10-20 college players in the country, and there's no way I'd put him in that category. I don't think he could play in the MLS- mainly because he's just not athletic enough.

11. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Agree

I guess you have to impress your coach to get the accolades and his college coach Dave Masur and Mooch Mynernick of the U-23's seem to love the guy. Again, we obviously see the same things here and it's unfortunate more deserving players don't get more of the recognition.

12. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Terps

BTW- how do your Terps look? I was at the UConn/UMaryland quarterfinal game last year. I thought UConn played much better soccer, but failed to capitalize on some early opportunities, and ended up paying for it. UConn's defense was porous. I guess UMd has all its starters back, so they should contend again for the NCAA championship.

Do you think Sumid Ibrahim can be an impact player in the pros?

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    wish we could get MSG to televise some of the St.John's College games.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Re: Terps

My opinion, yes, I saw him play a few times, very impressived, believe like Adu he his from Gana

15. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Terps

UMD is off to a good start at 6-0 and the #1 ranking. I think they are playing better soccer this year and are a much better team. Last year we were a bit too direct and had very little possession and tended to end up defending too much. This season we still attack but have much more of the ball. There are probably 11 guys who could start in 6 attacking positions. If someone is a bit off there are outstanding players on the bench that can do the job making us much more consisitent on attack. Last year we started two freshmen and a converted forward in the back so we were inconsistent at times. This season that group has the experience of a 25 game season and a Final Four and are now probably the best backline in the country.
    Regarding Sumed.......he certainly has speed, quickness and skills but he never seems to produce as much as it looks like he should. He plays attacking midfield but rarely creates the opportunies that unlock a tight game. He is often injured and unavailable to the team at critical times. He didn't play in the ACC Final last year and didn't have a goal or an assist during the run to the Final Four though he did score a cracker against UCLA. It's hard to believe a 1st Team All-American underachieved based on his ability but I think that was the case. His future is a big question to me, he has the ability to play in the MLS but I don't know it he has the passion to do it. It does seem to bother him at all to miss important games. I'm usually overly positive about the Terps but Sumed has really left me confused over the course of his career. Having said all of this I hope Sumed goes on the have a long and successful pro career if that is what he wants.

16. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Interesting

Thanks for the synopsis. I've only seen him play 3x, but i was left with a similar impression. Dominic Mediate appeared to be an impact player towards the end of the season, although he had trouble getting anything going against UCLA's defense in the final four.

Who in college soccer do you think has the best chance of being next year's the Damani Ralph of the MLS?

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Interesting

Last season I kept saying that the best attacking player we (UMD) saw all year was Damani Ralph. We played against him twice and the first time he really schooled our defenders but in the tournament we controlled him. Remember we saw Alecko Esky twice, all the UCLA guys, Westfield from Clemson, White from WF, Storey and the UNC guys, and so on but none were at Ralph's level.

This year the best attacker in the country that I am aware of is Adolph Gregorio of UCLA and he will make an impact if he elects to sign with MLS in my opinion. I think he will also have Euro options so we will see where he lands.

I have a limited view and don't see that many players outside of the ACC and Big East, the guy I'd like to have chime in here is Sandon....Sandon where are you?

18. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Adolpho Gregorio was certainly impressive in the college cup last year- that was the only time I got to see him, but he was dangerous pretty much every time he touched the ball. It appears that his freshman running mate chad barrett is putting up the stats, but then again, we all know that stats mean less in soccer than any other sport. How did he (gregorio) look in the game earlier this season against your Terps?

BTW- is there any way to watch non-local college soccer games? I live in manhattan, and don't venture far from here too much. I'm waiting for the Internet to be the ultimate distribution medium it's supposed to be so I can get unlimited access to top-flight college soccer.

19. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    sju-syracuse

sju squeezed the orangemen this past Saturday night 3-0...The Redstorm seem to be back in form and are undefeated in their past 5 games, after losing there first two. The team is really starting to jell and the scoring is spread out amongst several players. The two freshmen, Ashlie Kozciki and George Spanos look solid and Matt Groenwald, Ryan Young, Chris Corcoran, and Simone Sallino are dangerous up front. Once they get Andre Schmid back they will be even more dangerous. Should be about 2 weeks or so..anyways the Storm are back on track..

20. Re: sju-syracuse

First off, welcome to the boards Redstorm....from a fellow Johnny.

While no one can really dispute the play of the freshmen, is it best if Andre Schmid is put back into the starting lineup? Afterall, if it ain't broke....dont fix it. Schmid didnt score much last year and could possibly be indirectly blamed for SJU's low goal output since he was the target forward and seemed to be counted on for the majority of goalscoring. St Johns has looked VERY good in their past 4 games, I wouldn't change a thing right now. BTW...anyone have any info on why Gaudette isn't the full time starter in goal? Was it the rocky start against WF and UNC?

21. soccerwriter

soccerwriter New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    new york
    masur has said he planned on alterating hertz and gaudette this season. as for who plays when, believe it or not, it is sometimes decided in the pregame warmup!

and as for schmid, i agree with jmoney. hes better off just redshirting and then you have him for another year with salinno graduating.

and someone eariler questioned kelly going from starter to sub. he has started, in wake he was in the starting back four but has since moved up front because of his ability to win balls in the air and his accurate strikes. may not start, but gets quality minutes.

22. Kelly seems to be filling the roll of supersub quite well. Last year, the bench consisted form guys that would give 110%....but werent quite up to par with the starters. Now, when Schmid comes back, I tihkn its safe to say theres at least 3 guys on the bench would could start game in and game out for the Johnnies. Now, should we se them starting if everyone is healthy, probably not (Schmid in this case). The overall depth this year is much improved and with Groenwald back, the quality of the starters are up. This is reflected by the fact that St Johns no longer seems to have a problem scoring goals <knock on wood>.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, the Johnnies five game win streak just came to an abrupt halt.

The Storm blew a 2-0 lead and fell to Seton Hall 4-2.

http://www.shupirates.com/sports/msoccer/boxscore.asp?GAME_ID=935

Great win for the Hall. Presuming St. John's recovers, the Pirates beating them will look really good on their resume come tourney selection time.

24. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    Crap.. the dreaded 2 Goal lead, not the 1st time I 've seen that happen. I think they'll learn from this . but its PAINFUL !