SSV Update: Amanpour backs out

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan2003, Nov 1, 2004.

1. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    IBT is loved away from the Earthquakes board, and some people have a sense of humor.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although he could not tell me the exact number, one of the SSV leading lights told me the other day that there are more than five parties interested in becoming i/o of the Quakes. So will you all of you people either drop another Prozac, light up a J, have a beer or do all three. Relax, relax.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah!...unless of course you are an investor, in which case you need to stay sober and look alive for a couple of months. :)

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That advice was only for the Chicken-Little crowd. ;)

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'll give my medical opinion and suggest Valium instead.

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but your mom doesn't count. She has to love you. :)

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prozac doesn't work any more. The Quakes have got me back on lithium...

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, think it was a ploy, but not by AEG; rather, by Mr. Amanpour himself. In all the articles/interviews I've read through this whole thing, his words seemed to be less than "concrete," shall we say, and more idealistic, "don't worry, be happy." He was going for his 15 minutes of fame - and he got it, culminating with his face on ESPN2. Course, that's all just speculation on my part (not being privy to SSV's inside information), but I just don't see it any other way. And it really makes me sick - what it's done to this team. They've been jerked around all season long.

People are saying, well, hopefully someone will come along and at least keep them in the Bay Area for at least another year - another year of what? Relocation hanging over their heads? Or just possibly being folded outright? (Yeah, thanks Lexi, for that little gem right before our final playoff game. Boy, what a GM!) If that happens, it will be a repeat of this year - up and down and inconsistent. And that's not fair to the players. They have families to think of, and I'm sure the spectre of another season of uncertainty is not what they are looking for. They deserve for this to be handled now, and instead the powers that be are continuing to mess with their lives.

Sorry if I sound bitter or whatever about Amanpour, but this just makes me mad.

9. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Seems like excellent news to me. I never thought MLS would sell to anyone who didn't write the big check or have all the money firmly behind him.

My hope is that someone who can make the bulk of the financial commitment is stepping forward to a leadership role behind the scenes.

10. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i intensely dislike AEG

11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough one. Wihtout them, there would probably be no MLS. But they have not treated us with a lot of respect. I sort of love them in the general and hate them in the particular.

12. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Wow! What a plethora of commentary. I think StillKickin got it right.

If you read all posts from top to bottom, you get a flurry of people being positive, skeptic, negative, frustrated, sad etc. These are just fans. Imagine what our QUAKES players (and those in the front office) are going through.

It is VERY VERY difficult. You have to be thick skinned to get through this.

There is a market in the Bay Area for soccer to be very very successful. It can be a lucratic business if run right and we have the right guys in the front office like McCarthy & J.Moore. People who have a deep connection to soccer in the Bay Area. The fan base can be pulled in all the way from 1974. Its here. Why do you think MLS chose to have their FIRST mls game here? despite their thoughts of a mealy city of San Jose, the MLS suits KNOW soccer fans are here. The NASL of the 70's proved that hands down. I can recall a consistent large attendance of 18k+. Why do you think they expanded the stadium on the press box side? It was because we kept drawing big crowds to the all the qUAKE games.

We just have to have consistency in ownership & mgmt to bring the fans (outside of our 10K solid die-hard fan base) and turn this into a money making machine.

13. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I don't think TA was just going for his 15 minutes of fame. He's an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs do stuff like this all the time. I think he thought there was a chance he could pull this off. He sensed an opportunity and went for it.

But, I also don't think he had the financial resources, skills or relationships to make his dream realistic.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a little insight into what the Quakes players are going through.

http://ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1969

From the article:
    "I don't know if you could call him possible ownership," said Donovan of Amanpour, before stopping himself. "I'll keep my comments to myself."

However, Donovan failed to hold back when noting his disappointment with the situation, feeling both he and his teammates have been "messed about" by the efforts to keep the team in San Jose.

"It's pretty sad. It's just another thing that goes on that affects you that you can't help to get excited," the US international added. "But when someone's just clearly kind of messing with you, it really bothers you."

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If I were in your shoes, I'd probably hate Alan I. Rothenberg, Dentsu, Robert Kraft, SVS&E - but not so much AEG. Afterall, all of the above backed out on owning/investing in the Clash/Earthquakes, while AEG - who never wanted the team - stepped up and saved them from contraction.

While this year has been pretty bad with AEG and the Quakes, if Rothenberg's group, or Dentsu, or the Krafts had bought the team when they had the chance, everything would likely be fine right now.

I really, really, really hope someone steps forward and saves the Earthquakes.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that the atmosphere now surrounding Tony Amanpour's withdrawal is one of the reasons none of the others would want to go public. If you're not absolutely sure you can put a good deal through (or even if you are), you'd rather not have the bad publicity.

17. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    "15 minutes" was very much a part of it(he enjoys the positive attention) but I think you are right about the entrepreneurial thing. He is a fan and he had a vision, he just didn't quite have the resources......I think SSV just feels that Amanpour is not the guy that should be heading this or any group for various reasons and there isn't much room for error. I don't feel that this is a bad thing, quite the contrary, it makes me think that there is a better plan in place and I for one like this news as a sign that the eggs are not all in one basket......geez, if i'm doing the glass half full thing then it's gotta be good!

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Absolutely....and as impatient as us fans get, even though we always want to know more, it's really better that this stuff stays behind closed doors for reasons like this. Mr. Amanpour would have done well to do the "I can't comment at this time" thing. He chose the opposite......ESPN.

19. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fail to see your sense of humor in the previous post.

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

And I thought I was the only one that felt it wasn't even remotely funny.

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I still think his effort was "well-intentioned" (Blackmun himself called it that) but, as you say, he probably didn't have "the financial resources, skills or relationships to make his dream realistic". He clearly didn't mind being in the spotlight as the white knight, but I don't believe he did it just for the "15 minutes".

22. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Can you say "Rochester Earthquakes?"

23. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My two cents. Amanpour is making way for better options. If Amanpour were the only ownership hope or the best hope by far, SSV would still hang their hats on his ability to assemble an ownership group. There would be no reason to ask him to step aside. The fact that SSV did makes me believe there's something behind door number two.

24. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yes, but I'd rather say, "Piss off, troll."

25. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    There were some inconsistencies between the SSV release yesterday and the Merc article today. Dylan Hernandez doesn't mention anything about SSV asking Amanpour to step aside, and portrays it as Amanpour withdrawing the offer himself because his potential investors were contingent upon a stadium deal. Whichever...guess it doesn't really matter in the long run because the end result is the same (Amanpour out).

Here's to hoping SSV and AEG get something else worked out.