SSS design

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 20, 2006.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I know we had a thread on location for the SSS in Houston but I have been thinking about the design.

I don't think we will get an enclosed stadium w/ retractable roof so I'm thinking no air-conditioning. That means a roof over the seating area would be really nice but we need to keep good ventilation to let what breeze we get through the stadium. Bowl stadiums like Bridgeview or PHP don't seem to accomplish this especially if you put a roof over them.

Anyway, here is my idea. Put almost all the stands on the sides with a roof over each. The roof should be designed to give mostly shade without blocking the ventilation. I was looking through the World Stadiums site and this is one that is closest to what I can see in my head.

[​IMG]

I think this stadium only has the one set of stands but you could just duplicate it on the other side. I would want the seats to be steeper than this but it gives you the idea of how to do the roof without blocking air flow.

Maybe it is too expensive. I don't really know. Just an idea but I would like to see something different than the other SSS that have been built.

2. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't like those for Houston because they are too enclosed. There would be very little ventilation. Robertson is nice because the corners are open allowing air to flow through the stadium. I think they should keep that concept for the new stadium.

4. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Just built roberstson style stadium somewhere else with all the new stuff and I think we are there. We dont have to invent the wheel again.

5. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking the same thing. What will the Houston SSS stadium look like? Watching the game yesterday at Highbury, I really think that we could get a really nice looking stadium for not a ton of money...

Looking at various stadium designs I am hoping for that they go with something like this,
    [​IMG]

I can imagine that flat wall pushing up against one of the freeways downtown, or a wall like this...
    [​IMG]

Look at all the club seats/luxury boxes that will bring in the money...
    [​IMG]

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The problem with the thread-starter's idea is that it is considerably cheaper to build into the ground than on top of it. That is why the SSS's being built these days are bowls. I agree that it would be nice to see a stadium with four free-standing banks of seats, but it would be much more expensive to build than PHP, Bridgeview, etc.

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm almost positive they are not going to build down into the ground here in Houston. Too much rainfall and we are just above sea-level/water table.

I understand about the cost but below-grade ain't gonna happen.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not saying re-invent the wheel but a roof would be really nice to give shade, hold in sound, and esthetics. So the issue is what kind of roof?

9. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

I would love a stadium like this. As I said in the other thread, I have been to matches at that stadium and it is absolutely fantastic. The stadium was just built a few years ago in Athens. The layout of the stadium keeps all the noise in so that even when the place isn't full it is still very loud. Overall the capacity is a little over 30,000 - perfect for MLS. (By the way, IMO, MLS is dumb for building 20,000 seat stadiums and is shooting itself in the foot with respect to future growth. 30,000 is a more ideal size for soccer in the US.)

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I still think this type of fully enclosed stadium is going to be very uncomfortable in the heat and humidity we have in Houston. In Athens I can see it because they have heat but little humidity so all you really need is shade. Here the humidity is going to kill you if there is no capacity to allow a breeze through the stadium.

In my opinion.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    PHP, Bridgeview, Home Depot, Colorado....these have all been designed to accomodate inexpensive and relatively quick expansion in the case of need. Which goes back to building the stadium in-ground. It is much less expensive to expand at ground level than it is to expand in the air. Keep the capacity low initially, spur demand for pre-purchased ticket packages, then expand when gameday tickets become sparse.

12. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Do I think 30,000 will show up on a regular basis - no. Does every sports stadium in baseball and basketball operate at capacity every night - no. The point is that there are numerous opportunities to have crowds larger than 20,000 in a season. By building 20,000 seat stadiums all you are doing is limiting your upside. I understand the need to spur demand for tickets and to create a perception of scarcity, but 20,000 is just too small.

And by the way, the stadium I was refering to above was built at a cost in the neighborhood of only 60 million Euros . . .

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field and part of the lower bowl at Rice Stadium are below ground. You do get a better breeze in the upper tiers and in the higher rows in the lower bowl.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I didn't realize that Rice Stadium was below grade. I guess it could be done that way here but I still think above-grade is the way to go to get the cooling benefits.

Cost will, of course, be the deciding factor.

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how most stadiums are built below grade but you don't realize it. Minute Maid is way below grade but you don't think about it while in the stands, and so is Reliant. It makes getting to upper decks easier, but I do know what you're talking about, a breeze would be a nice thing on a hot summer day. Have you ever been to Texas Stadium in Irving in August? It's an oven.

16. DPir1320

DPir1320 Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Spring, TX
    Take out the guts of the Dome and build a new stadium inside.

17. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's closer to 74, look I just saved the FO 16 million dollars...

18. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I found the perfect stadium cheap to build with lots of open space for winds.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Astrodome holds 50,000 to 60,000. Sure you could reduce the seating capacity but it would still be a cavernous building with 20,000 to 30,000 people in there.

And the grass would die.

I'm not totally against the Astrodome but I think it has problems that are going to be difficult to overcome.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not bad but it dumps half the rain onto the field.

21. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking the same thing. What will the Houston SSS stadium look like? Watching the game yesterday at Highbury, I really think that we could get a really nice looking stadium for not a ton of money...

Looking at various stadium designs I am hoping for that they go with something like this,
    http://www.stadiumguide.com/hirschinew1.jpg

I can imagine that flat wall pushing up against one of the freeways downtown, or a wall like this...
    http://www.stadiumguide.com/highbury6.jpg

Look at all the club seats/luxury boxes that will bring in the money...
    http://www.stadiumguide.com/hirschinew2.jpg

Not sure why the pictures won't show up...

22. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Hey Veruca nice Pictures!!!!

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That new Hirschi stadium looks like it would be a cooker.

24. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I would cut the half of the dome out and make it open with only the bottom seats then put covers on both sides but we have a problem its round.

25. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the stadium (at least the lower seats) were below ground, then the breeze would blow right into the stadium

Also the magnifying glass over the fans would have to be changed to another sun blocking material.

The main things I like about the stadium are the high wall on one side (and in my preference right next to a major highway) and the large number of A/C luxury boxes for corporate sponsors.