SSS Design ideas. Why are teh fans still so far from the action?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by bostonsoccermdl, Oct 21, 2003.

1. I think a great example of an old stadium that has both character and good sightlines is the San Siro. The best thing about it is the sides are lower than the ends a little bit. Build a stadium like that, but of course, MUCH SMALLER, you will have my vote.

Of course the other thing you can do is have like 15 rows of field level terracing on the ends, and seel that cheap, like 10-15 dollars

Then seats in the seats on an overhang above could be like 20 dollars, and 25-40 on the sides

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I never said Garber was a soccer heathen, I said

I got news for you, Garber was in Charge of NFL Europe and we all know how much $$ NFL Europe makes.

Garber may know how to run a league, but that doesn't mean he knows how to make it soccer friendly.

Also, give me a break, there are plenty of examples of 20-30K soccer friendly stadiums in the world, and if you think you are so perfect, then why do you bother with the lunatic fringe, as you call us here.

3. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    Unfortunately it is easy to make that assumption if you're a non-soccer fan in this country. They just don't think about how many people actually go to NFL games. So they think that if they see so few fans in an NFL or any stadium for that matter, that it must be struggling, because it is pretty inconceivable for them that a stadium should be that empty without the team or the league to struggling. I can see bostonsoccermdl's point. A stadium where tv makes it seem that the stadium is packed can only look good to non-soccer fans.

4. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Example of 20-30K Soccer fan friendly stadium.

Stadio: Ennio Tardini
    Seats: 28,783
    Field Size: 105x68 meters or 115x74.4 Yards.
    Pic is from:http://www.acparma.it
    [​IMG]

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Fine, still, that puts the responsibility on the league to prove them wrong.. The non fan wont suffer (if they dont go to the game the MLS will..)

My point is that The MLS should leave no rock unturned when it comes to public perception and packaging its product.

Stadiums created as I mentioned cant hurt. In fact, they might do some good..

6. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael K. makes good points, actually can read his posts without a need to respond and call him an idiot...

Kqql and people like him need to stop posting..

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    What ever ! I never called him a idiot.

MLS is not Perfect ........neither are you.

8. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, now i figured out what your problem is, comprehension...

nowhere did i say YOU called HIM an IDIOT...

nowhere did i say MLS was PERFECT...

nowhere did i say I was PERFECT...

man this guy is a clown, what a moron, learn how to read...

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

The fact of the matter is that you gotta have a few feet between the stands and the field, if for no other reason to see the action that's near the sidelines.

But the five yards or so that they've got in LA along each sideline is ridiculous. Then again, the sidelines were a lot closer to the field for the first game at the Toolbox by having an 80 yard wide field, but Sigi Schmid and the Gals players complained about it. (Here's where Kqql calls out Sigi Schmid and the players as not being "soccer people.")

I'd really like to know what compelled AEG to build such a wide field at the Toolbox in the first place. About the only sport that I can think of that needs a field that size is rugby. And I'm not sure that AEG is planning on having a lot of rugby matches at the Toolbox.

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes you did say I said that Michael.K was an idiot,
    here it is

Now you called me a Moron, you are nothing but
    a SNOB.

By the way, your buddy Michaek.K called us all here at bigsoccer bunch of lunatic fringe.

If you and him are so sane, why do you even bother with bigsoccer.

Only thing you know how to do is call people names..if you know it all, why don't you make your own site,,,,,,and leave the lunatic fringe at Bigsoccer.com

11. A Rugbu Field is actually somewhat narrower, as evidenced my narrow confines at recent FA Cup and Promo Playoff finals at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends.

I actually went and looked it up for rugby union. Like soccer, rugby union doesn't have a set field width. According to Law 1, the playing field should have a width of "not exceeding 70m." That's about 76.5 yards. In addition, there much be at least five meters of boundary space between the playing field and the boundaries of the playing enclosure. So add another 10m to that width, and you can have up to 80m of width, or 87.5 yards.

Rugby league, which is what I believe you were watching, is a little different. The field is only 68m wide, or 74.4 yards, and there's no requirement for a boundary area outside the playing field.

Incidentally, The Toolbox WILL be hosting some rugby union, contrary to what I thought early. The IRB (rugby union) will be hosting a seven-a-side tournament there next February.

13. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Michael K. makes good points, actually can read his posts without a need to respond and call him an idiot..."

if you can read, you'll see that that means that I, I, I, MYSELF, after reading his posts I don't have to call him an idiot...

so again, you make an ass of yourself by not being able to read or comprehend anything, so yes, that makes you a moron, a idiot, and just flat stupid...

thanks, try again...

14. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Millenium is mostly for Union, I would think. And I thought he said he was watching football. But I assumed like you that rugby pitches were wider than footy pitches. Your find surprises me.

Anyway, back to stadia:
    Don't they hate the San Siro? No wait, that's the Delle Alpi in Turin that they hate. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Italian Olimpic-built stadia with their tracks and things. It was also one of the knocks on the old Wembley, I think--not sure if it had a track, but it had rounded ends (was the track covered for footy, then?).

Ennio Tardini!!!!!

I went to an SC Freiburg game, and they had a nice stadium (25k), four big "english-style" stands with huge roofs. It was great.

I think the HDC is a great "flagship" stadium, but they can't all be shiny metal things, can they? Hopefully they will all have different styles to keep things interesting. Then everybody can be a little happy. And it'll make for much better for the fans at the game and on TV!

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    As usual shows you have no manners.

Calling people names, just because you don't agree with me, shows you have NO CLASS and are nothing but a trash.

16. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a trash? whats that?

and don't agree with you, its not that i don't agree its that I said something, you said I said something else, I was right, you were wrong, I proved it, you couldn't, so now you have to resort to crying cuz you can't come up with anything to say except doing the same thing you said I was doing in calling names or saying I have no class...

stop crying, or find someone else to cry to, I'm not all emotional and mushy like you so don't bring that baby stuff around me...

thanks, please don't try again, your embarassing yourself...

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Oh please, spare me your high and mighty crap.

You are the one was has been embarrassing yourself, by showing you have no class or manners. Every argument you have made, involves calling me names.

Learn some manners, and get some class, because you sure could use some.

Also, you interfered on behalf of Michael K, I am sure he can answer his own post and did.

In the future, you should mind your own business.

GET a life, and stop bothering me.

18. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats your point, every arguement you've made involves saying I have no class and need some manners...

where did I say I was speaking on behalf of Michael K.? Nowhere, never happend, again your having problems reading and comprehending things.

Stop bothering you? You started quoting my words and responding, so YOU QUIT BOTHERING ME...

and just cuz i'm a nice classy guy, heres some advice, take a reading and comprehension class, I don't care where, but anything is sure to improve you...

and I'll say it again,

thanks, and PLEASE DON'T try again, cuz your still embarrassing yourself...

19. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Forgive me for asking, but y'all mind taking your bicker session to the PMs please? I'm here to read about soccer and stadia. Thanks.

20. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    ALELUYA!!!!!!

21. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here to talk about all those SSS designs that we know jack about?

every single thread in BS has at least 2 people argueing about something, and how come the most annoying thing always ends up being the person who comes in and is like please stop, i'm here to read about blah blah blah?

but ya, I've tried to stop but that other dude keeps going...

continue to talk about ALL those SSS designs...

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Not so much along the east-side, but definitely along the west-side.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Of the three or four proposed plans for the 1998 Spartan Stadium "renovation", the least expensive and time-consuming (but the least desirable) option was chosen: simply to chop out the first two rows from the west-side and build in dugouts for the players and coaches (as opposed to chopping away from both the east and west sides to keep them both at an even level).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The result became the total disappearance of the play that you mention, since the west-side wall is much higher than the east-side wall. Even the normal TV camera can't capture play on the west-side... a separate cameraman has to stand within the few inches between the sideline and the western wall just to be able to show the play on that side (in terms of sideline space, Spartan is the other end of the extreme from the HDC). :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's definitely a case of the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" chosen plan coming back and biting them in the butt! I'm hoping that the reported current negotiations for an AEG takeover and reconstruction of Spartan results in them correcting the problem (a brand new SSS in San Jose would be even better since a correctly-sized field can be installed from scratch, but the Spartan reconstruction seems much more likely to happen).

-G

23. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport,

What was the latest you've heard in regard to those negotiations? I follow along on the thread in the San Jose forum, seems like you know the most, and post the most also, hah...but has there been anything in the papers, news or anything?

and in my following of college football i thought i remembered either hearing or reading that San Jose State could be getting rid of their football team, or at least losing their status...

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

25. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Once again, learn some manners, and get some class, because you sure could use some.

(You have called me "a moron, an idiot, flat stupid, a clown.etc" plus put me down every time you responded to me)
    and now you claim to be a "nice classy guy." YEA RIGHT!...You are a Joke !!

You are the one who seriously needs to go and acquire some manners and class, because you seriously lack them.

This is my last response to you, because you are not worth responding to. BYE.