Sr. Moreno

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Alejandro 10, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, Cunningham has tied Moreno's mark, http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2010/10/fc-dallas-greet-historic-night-open-arms

Maybe I missed something while glancing at games between grad. school reading the last few weeks, but it seems he hasn't played in ages. Is there a chance he had a quiet conversation with Olsen to say focus on the rest of the team and let me fade into the night? I don't mean to suggest he is not willing to give the team his all, but he was rejected in an awkward fashion.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm thinking along the same lines. Has he even played since the (less than cordial) announcement?

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At halftime in our last home game Moreno and Junior were just fooling around on the pitch, while the other subs were doing serious warmups. What it said to me was "I'm not playing today, so I can do whatever I want at halftime." Yet despite that Junior actually played a few minutes. Yes, it looks as if Jaime has a tacit understanding that his career is over.

4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the all time goal record really matter that much?

I mean, sure, it'd be great and all. But me personally, I don't care. He's the greatest player in league history for a bunch of other reasons also.

Cunningham isn't going to match his assists, or many of the other things Moreno has done.

For him, if it matters to him, then I'm pulling for him, but I personally don't think it matters very much.

And to be honestly realistic about it, Cunningham probably has way fewer penalties and might have passed him weeks ago in that regard.

Shrug.

I'm bringing my 3 month old to his first game on the day it will be Moreno's last, because I want him to know that his first game was the last for a legendary player in DC, MLS, and USA soccer.

Practically nobody is going to care about Cunningham's last game, I bet.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. Moreno is more then just a goal scorer, he hasnt been a TRUE goal scoring machine since his return in 2004, where he turned into the more supporting striker he is now.

His asissts numbers can attest to that.

6. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree. The only reason I referenced the Cunningham article was because it got me thinking about Jaime.

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamie last played in the MLS game against Columbus. A couple of weeks after the news.

8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham would have passed him afterward for sure anyway, but I was hoping Jaime would be able to retire as the all-time scoring leader.

Bummer.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He didn't say he was retiring, he said he wouldn't be playing for United anymore.

10. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. So I'll amend my statement to "I had hoped he would be able to be introduced at his final game for DCU as the all-time leading scorer in MLS."

11. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    With the last two games against other teams out of contention I hope Jaime gets some playing time. I suspect there's a PK or two waiting for him if he takes the ball into the penalty area. The refs may be looking for the chance to give a retirement gift. And of course Jaime's been known to bag a goal when you least expect it. I predict he retires one up on Cunningham.

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely sure if this is even on topic but ... lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGGJEf3C-Y"]YouTube - La Patada de Evo Morales 2010 - ¡E, vo', qué pegás! - Evo Morales playing soccer and kicking[/ame]

13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Moreno lost his best occasion to retire at the end of last season after a pretty good personal season despite the team flop.
    Now he seems like a living dead on the field (when he gets to play), he doesn't move anymore, and now not even his class and experience are enough to save him. Really a shame to end like this.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree, which is why I don't think the FO was out of line in gently shoving Jaime out the door. By not leaving totally on his own accord after last season he invited the FO to make the move. It may not have been a classy move by the team, but it was the correct one.

15. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Ali the Soccer cat

Ali the Soccer cat New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Adams Morgan, DC
    This very well be the case, but I still would like the team to let him play, or walk around, or just ********ing stand there like a wooden indian for 90 minutes for the remaining home games. I really don't care whether some 14 year old on loan from a third-tier team in Upper Volta gets playing time...put the old man in!

17. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post reminded me of this quote:
    "All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs."

I guess sporting lives aren't much different.

Regardless, Jaime has earned the right to manage the end of his career in any way he wishes. The Jaime I remember will always be the Jaime of 2004.

For the curious, the quote is from Enoch Powell.

18. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...or Jewsbury. :mad:

20. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    :confused: I must've forgotten some past transgression, 'cause I could've filled out a starting 11 of current & former MLS players I'd like to see that done to and Jewsbury wouldn't have been on my list.

21. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Him too!

How could I have forgotten about Namoff!?!

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Are you Rick Sanchez?

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the one who kneed Bryan Namoff in the head (while he was already on the ground injured) and gave him the most recent concussion (assuming that Bryan had been concussed before), from which he has not been able to return to soccer.

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jewsbury clashed heads with Bryan Namoff and essentially ended one of the great DCUnited careers.

25. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Wow, don't know how I missed that one.

So then, Yep, Jewsbury goes on the list.