Squadron Supporters and Marinators...

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by cmedina1983, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ...an honest question for you both. I'm determined that we can keep discussion here civil and respectful, regardless of the intense rivalry between both teams as this topic is not about both of you against each other but rather:

How well do you think we (Australian teams), will fare in the next Asian Champions League?

I'd really like you both to be realistic (no "We're gonna win because we're the best...", etc etc garbage), about your chances and also let me and others know how each supporters group is feeling towards being in the ACL next year.

Personally I worry for the Jets, obviously, as they've been hit with the voodoo of being Grand Final winners and are now sitting dead last. What news from Newcastle about new signings or staff that could be an improvement for this year?

And for the Central Coast, you've kind of escaped the hoodoo a little, but are sitting around mid-table, having good moments here and dreadful ones there. The same to you - new signings next year or coaching staff that could make a difference come the ACL 2009?

I hope that each of you make it out of the group stages at least, but do you think each team could be serious contenders for moving further ahead, perhaps into the finals stages?

2. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Sorry I'm 3rd party, but Central Coast were looking alright till they lost Jedinak. He was a key player for them, but now they're without him, they may take some time trying to replace him (Although they've moved Hutchinson into Jedi's old positon, for time being).

Hmm how interesting, I wonder how much money the ACL clubs are paying Genciligribri (sp) to poach all our key ACL players? Notice the pattern? Djite does well for Adelaide in A-League and in an ACL fixture or two, the Turkish club poaches him. Jedinak tears it up this A-League season and seems set to be key ACL player for them - bam, Turkish club pounces!

Hmmm... who knows? :p

Sorry, anyway, with Central Coast losing Jedinak, I'm not soo confident as to how they'll go, especially keep out the goals in light of the recent Roar result. But one man does not mornally make the team and they're still and generally always have been, a pretty solid unit. And I suspect prior to the ACL, they may make a quality acquisition or two - hopefully a quality VISA player.

So I have faith Central Coast will really push their group rivals, even challenge to progress, especially given their coach has them fairly organised and they've known to be a counter attacking/defensive type of team, traditionally, under long serving coach McKinna.

Newcastle, well we can predict one thing - they will be unpredictable. But actually, given their unfortunate trend of great instability and how longer term, its severly affected on field performance, I'm sorry to say, no matter who they bring in, they seem set to struggle.

Let's hope they prove me (And many of us) wrong though.

3. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off as a Jets' supporter and one who'll make the long trek to Australia just for the ACL (if anyone wants to ask how I became a Jets fan as a American; long story.) I can tell you one thing that's going to help, both group winners and runner's up advancing to the next stage. Without this I'd say us; the Jets would be doomed.

After zooming "no pun intended" through newcastlefootball.net we need badly; defenders. Our back line is woeful and while some Squadron guys are upset Griffiths is going I couldn't be happier. We need guys who can play the backline and if that means looking for Aussies or dare I say Americans from other teams; so be it.

If I were Constantine ot "T" I'd be heavily looking at the USL; Miami FC gave up Diego Walsh and Romario plus they have two teams in CCL so it shows the talent they have.

The Jets need to do something fast otherwise we'll see ourselves become like the real Newcastle.

4. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ^^ How'd you become a jets supporter??

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    cmedina: not many coasties or newy supporters here, if you haven't already I'd recommend checking out the Squadron and Marinator forums and asking there...

6. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks for the tip, zhuangzi, I'll make sure to link them to this thread :)

It'll work in both directions ;)

7. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I'm studing to be a pilot so the Jets name stands out; however. On a MLS forum I said I'm not a big club guy and in a sense that's right. For me its impossible with both time difference and distance to become a true Jets supporter so while I do enjoy them and talk alot on their forums its tough to always be kept in the news.

When I became a true Jets supporter however is when I found Joel Griffiths again. A few years back I got into soccer and played FIFA regularly (05 to be exact). As I was going through manager mode I noticed that Pauleta the famous PSG striker was sold to a random Swiss side called Neuchatel Xamax. Seeing I only had 4 stars in my manager prestiege (as this version made you progress and made assinine transfers) I decided I'd try them out. Well after playing a game with them I was shocked at this Joel Griffiths character who was surprisingly talented. I later decided to wikipedia him and found out how good a player he was.

Well after two years without hearing or knowing about his exploits after the Xamax to Leeds saga, I was watching some A-League highlights two years ago and saw him again. Shockingly it was with a team I was curious about and after both peices coneccted I knew that it was fate (or in my beliefs; God) saying be a Jets supporter and as such I happily am.

8. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Both teams won't make it past the group stages.

9. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm a Jets supporter so you can read my comments taking that on board.

I think at this point the CCM would have to be the favorites of us two to go through, but they have a very physical style of play which may work against them from what I have seen of the referreing in the Asian confederation.

As for the Jets, who knows. I honestly think the squad is there, we just need to play beyond the 70th minute. The number of games we have been in control until the last 20, only to go on and loose this year is a joke. I'm not expecting big things, but if we can pick up a few key players in key positions, we could be sitting OK.

10. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good replies so far; many thanks for keeping it as civil and interesting as I'd hoped it would be :)

I managed to miss this A-League.com update a week and a half ago about the draw, amongst other things. I felt quite proud reading it, not only because of the realism that both Newcastle and the Central Coast are approaching the ACL but moreso because of Adelaide's open communication with each club about how to handle the competition.

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=aleague_newsdisplay&id=25940

Adelaide United did Australian football proud by reaching the finals of the ACL in 2008 and although I don't think we'll be able to repeat that effort with an Australian club this year (but hey, let's hope it happens anyway, right?), it's absolutely fantastic to know that they will help as much as they can with preperations and advice to Newcastle and the Central Coast this year. It's this type of comeraderie; call it mateship if you will, and respect - not only for the accomplishments of Newcastle and the Central Coast, but also for Australian football in general, that will improve our game locally and regionally so that we may in turn improve our relations and our football against other top flight Asian teams.

11. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to believe that, I think their motivations are self-centered. (A league) that is constitenly succeding in the top Asian club competition bods well for players and fans for all teams. Its called a Premiership syndrome. Imagine if the EPL sucked; you'd wouldn't have all these foreign internationals craving to go to Wigan. But because the fact the league is so highly rated people clamour over getting into anyone of their sides. The same can be said if the A-League was to be the second best league in Asia, players would clamour to get on the teams.

I only wish MLS followed suit by getting into the Copa Libertadores or winning the CONCACAF Champions League outright.