Squad Size Concern

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigp, Jul 7, 2004.

1. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    I don't know about you guys but I'm concerned by the squad size we have next year. If you look at it, it looks like we'll end up with the same size as last year and that includes having kids like Cesc and Lupoli in there which I doubt will feature in the first team. I think Arsenal should sign atleast 1 or 2 more players for more depth as I don't think we have enough players to handle 3 major competitions.

And also what happened to Ryan Garry? I can't find his bio in the Arsenal website. In fact a lot of bios are missing. If you look at the reserve team, it looks so empty. I think Ryan Garry can be a good squad player as he's versatile at the back and Wenger rated him highly.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm not concerned what-so-ever~

3. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Keeping things short and sweet today, phishy?

4. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am not too worried about this...we have some older players who know their roles and the youngers ones know they are not going to be first teamers this year. I think this become a problem when you do stuff like Chelsea did last year in adding so many established players all at once.

5. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    I too am not concerned. As long as the gunners can keep the amount of suspensions down to a minimum (I guess it would be too much to ask for no injuries?!), the have the mental strength to grind their way through three major cups. They did it last year, right?

gp

6. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    On the face of it, we do not have enough cover in defense if SC or KT are injured. Arsene probably has something up his sleeve, ala KT from last year. He already mentioned Ryan Garry in one interview as being a potential center back. We also have Phillipe Senderos, but neither of them have much experience. I guess we just have to trust that Arsene knows.

7. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    Justin Hoyte can play CB too but yeh we badly need cover in defence as I cant see Kolo and Sol not missing many games again this season surely??

8. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I think AW is in talks with Mexes..

9. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, it's not the size of the squad that matters, but how Arsene uses it. :D

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on, I'm getting a sense of deja vu....yep, I know now, this is the same thread as before the season started last year, and the year before, and the year before......

The squad is fine, we've lost a few first team players like Kanu, Keown and Wiltord who hardly played last year anyway. Up front we've added Reyes and Van Persie so that's fine. We've got Senderos fit now, he's obviously earmarked to be cover for Campbell and Toure along with Cygan. It looks almost certain we'll be siging Trabalsi from Ajax. Stack's gone out on loan, but we're apparently signing this Aluminium bloke as cover for Mad Jens.

So as far as I can see we have roughly exactly the same amount of depth as we did last year when we won the championship. If injuries or suspensions come along we'll have to deal with it. I was just looking at the Premiership appearances records from last year and these things stick out: Campbell missed three of the first seven games when he served a suspension because of his sending off against Everton and then the death of his father, Lauren missed eight games between November and January due to his part in the fracas at Old Trafford and then injury Ljungberg only played in 29 games out of 38, Vieira 28 and Bergkamp 27. Gael Clichy, a complete unknown before last season started seven games last year covering various people, including playing left-back away at Chelsea and at home to Manchester United. And we were unbeaten!

Now you can never have too many good players I suppose, but top players won't be happy sitting on the bench, the only one I can think of like that is Solskjaer at Man Utd. I think we'll start the season with roughly the same first eleven as last year and Wenger will be looking to the likes of Reyes, Van Persie, Senderos and Pennant to make their mark when they get their chances.

Nothing to see here. Get a grip people.

12. Vegeta777

Vegeta777 New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    South Africa
    i think Ryan Garry is still around...we need to sign at least 2 older older players like trabelsi !