[SQR] Rumored: USMNT vs. Japan in February (Bay Area)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see a thread over here for this yet, but I heard about it after talking to a Gamba Osaka fan before yesterday's match.

From Japan Today:

Being discussed here on the USMNT N&A board and here on the Asia board.

Speculation is that it might be at AT&T Park and that it will probably feature mostly domestic-based players for both sides. Good chance that Brian Ching will be there, maybe some other EQs. Also looking like it will be broadcast on the Deuce.

I'm so there. BTW - did you know that the symbol for the Japanese national soccer team (the JFA) is a three-legged crow?

[​IMG]

Discuss...

2. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!!!!!!!! if they do play in SF, i'm all over that. I've always wanted to see the US play, and it would be nice to see some Quakes players play before next season starts.

3. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep.. this rumor has been around a couple of weeks I believe, that would be a nice West coast game

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...does that mean we have to cheer for Donovan now? Oh well, I guess so. :p

5. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to douchebags Hopkins and Bretos we "aren't allowed to"

so I guess that solves that problem

6. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's been ridiculously long since we've had a match, isn't it?

Especially when you consider the size of this market.

GOOD!

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those two are idiots, well hopkins is the bigger one.. I think Hopkins is in love with the referee who reffed last night...Every call was a good call or a good non call according to him.:D

8. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm, that's a tough one, i won't boo him, nor will i cheer for him, too much bad blood, especially how obnoxious him and the galaxy were last night when the game ended, celebrating like they won the MLS cup, just to piss us off even more. now when i watch US games, i hope other guys score, because when he scores i can see his head getting bigger. but goals are goals and i'm hoping he'll help us next year in the world cup like 2002, even if he is a galaxiscum.

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already a match against Norway for January 29 has been announced by way of the LA season ticket holders.

I'm hoping this match takes place especially since Japan withdrew in 2003 at Seattle due to the USA/Iraq conflict, and Venezuela took their place. If it does, it means I get to stay put and not have to put up with the lads and their significant others in Hawaii. :D

And, it's high time that the USA team gets some playing time at the ballpark instead of the Mexican clubs.

10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Mexico is playing Norway not the United States.:(
    http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/fixtures/index/0,2525,0-NOR-ALL,00.html

11. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I won't. I can cheer for the team without cheering for him.

13. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Japanese bring their supporters and they're allowed to do their thing. They're fun to watch.

I just hope the stadium doesn't expect us to pick up the garbage we make after the game. :)

I hope this gets confirmed, and I hope the game's at Phone Company Park.

14. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Hopkins and Bretos are giant douches. Idiotic statements by them.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a letter-writing campaign to Fox Soccer Channel requesting that those two (and, possibly, Miles) be canned.

16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet most of the tea in China that if we did that and Donovan caught wind of it, he would lay down the law with FSC in terms of "fire them and you lose access to me." However, it would annoy him no end that we did it and he would hate SJ fans more than he does now.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could get more than just SJ fans. There seem to be a lot of posts from other team's fans who don't like that little cabal.

Anyone have an email addy?

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what the press release says:

Japan, who have booked a spot in the World Cup along with the U.S. squad, will play a match in San Francisco sometime in mid-February and stay in the United States about 10 days.

Now, that doesn't mean they're playing the United States. We host international friendlies all the time that don't feature the U.S. They could be playing a South or Central American team, or the Chinese team (demographics would probably make that popular matchup).

I'm not saying they're not playing the U.S. ..... but this statement isn't exactly clear either.

19. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Fox Soccer Channel is the most pisspoor excuse for a tv network I've seen in years.

Seriously. Anybody who likes that station because they show soccer is stupid.

If they showed soccer with a constant drone of YOU ARE A MORON, would you love that too? Because that's how Bretos and Hopkins make me feel everytime I turn on that network. The best things about it are what they pipe in from Sky.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I want to watch a match from outside the country on that channel, I always make sure that one of The Three Stooges is not narrating it.

21. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dat, but it is just a rumor at this point.
    If it's Japan/Mexico, so be it. I still got blue to wear for that game. :)

22. SJ Cabrito

SJ Cabrito Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sac-Town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably won't announce who Japan is playing until after the WC draw next month. Teams usually don't like to play each other in pre-WC friendlies, if they are drawn into the same group for the WC.

23. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Japanese media have announced a friendly between JPN and USA. They may be wrong, but they named the USA as the opponent.

The USSF may just be waiting to line up all of the details, such as the facility before making the announcement. They also have several dates this spring that they are filling so the schedule could still change if they haven't signed an iron-plated agreement with the JFA.

24. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Although juvenile, seeing more MLS fans take this type of stance will increase the depth of fan interest. Could you imagine a Niner fan ever, EVER cheering for T.O. again? How about a Deadskin fan cheering for Neon Deion? Laker, or Magic fans for Shaq? Rivalries are slowly forming in MLS, and now certain players receive venom in opponents stadiums. This is good. I really hope S.J. stays put, because the rivalry with the Galaxy is a good one.

25. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I'm stoopid.

Just saw a killer game between two teams from Argentina. Back and forth the whole game.

The two guys you mention are idiots, but I've been waiting for a channel like this for over 30 years.

Ain't perfect, but I get to watch a lot of my favorite sport!