Spurs vs Middlesbrough, FA Cup, Tues. Jan. 14, 3:05 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The first ever FA Cup tie at Nouveau WHL. There has to be a winner on the night, so there could be ET and penalties. Mourinho has said in the build-up that Tanganga will start again. Hopefully Lamela and Lo Celso will be in from the start as well, and Sessegnon will draw in, but I fear that Jose will revert to type and line up with a Winks-Dier midfield.

It looks like Inter are close to a deal for Eriksen, after taxes he will not earn much more than what Spurs had offered him. He had his heart set on going to Real or Barca so this is a lateral move at best that makes little sense, but hopefully it gets him out of the club this month.

Meanwhile, it appears that Spurs are close to the loan signing of the 21 year old midfielder Gedson Fernandes from Benfica. Don't know what this means, is he one for the future or does Mourinho plan on using him this season?

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If we do not advance in this competition, I will be at my lowest point as a Spurs fan* since the arrival of Harry Redknapp. I need a good cup run. Desperately.

*I mean in regards to how I feel about our prospects, not just on the misery index - which probably peaked when Chelsea won the Champions League and kept us out.

Lazy Assed Assassin and BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And the teams are in:

Tottenham: Gazzaniga, Tanganga, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Sessegnon, Dier, Winks, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Lamela, Lucas

Subs: Vorm, Foyth, Cirkin, Aurier, Skipp, Alli, Son

Middlesbrough: Mejias, Spence, Howson, McNair, Fry, Johnson, Clayton, Liddle, Wing, Nmecha, Fletcher

Subs: Brynn, Wood, Saville, Malley, Tavernier, Roberts, Gestede

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Nice to see Lo Celso and Lamela get in from the start, but we get another helping of Dier and Winks in CM, the Boro lads will be liking that. No Parrott in the matchday squad, typical Jose that.

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Never heard of Cirkin.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lo Celso 1-0, 2 mins.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Boro's keeper gives the ball away, Lo Celso calmly slots into the goal.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    First time we've been ahead in a game since Boxing Day!

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sanchez and Gazza in a mixup, the Columbian's header hits the keeper in the chest and somehow he holds on!

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Gazza with a great save on Nmecha after Sanchez played a poor ball to Vertonghen. Like I said, when he concentrates on defending, he is good. When he thinks he's Franz Beckenbauer, he's rubbish.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lamela 2-0, 15 mins!

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lamela wins the ball back and then finishes with the outside of his left boot beyond the last defender and the keeper.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sanchez is having a mare - he nearly got done by Fletcher. We are in control, except when Sanchez comes anywhere near the ball!

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Fletcher is rag-dolling Sanchez, who came close to giving away a penalty.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Good effort by Sessegnon diverted behind for a corner. Lo Celso, Lamela and Eriksen are combining nicely in midfield.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Tanganga looks a player, Lo Celso sets him up on the right and the youngster drills it just past the post. Spurs have been impressive going forward.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lo Celso brought down in the box after a good run from Tanganga. VAR is checking but it doesn't look a pen and it's not given.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Eriksen's free kick is saved by Mejias.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs have dispossed Boro players 9 times in the half.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs break with Lamela and Moura, but the Brazilian puts it wide.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Possession: 76-24
    Attempst: 9-2
    On target: 4-1

It's been awhile since we've seen numbers like that for Spurs.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    From a free kick, Fletcher heads wide. Boro are a threat from set pieces as we saw from the first game.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sanchez has picked up his game. After his early series of gaffes, Mourinho looked like he was getting ready to haul him off and that seemed to get his attention.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A dominant half by Spurs and we really should have scored more. Boro had one great chance from Nmecha and they are a threat from set pieces, so Spurs will have to keep their foot on the gas for the second half.