Spurs vs. Manchester United, PL, June 19, 3:15 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And so it begins...again.

The PL returned yesterday like it had never been away, with David Luiz and Arsenal collapsing at Man City and VAR recording yet another colossal cock-up at Villa Park.

It won't be long before Jose Mourinho gets to try out his new set of excuses and Serge Aurier gives away his next penalty. Spurs are back and so are Harry, Sonny, Mousa and Bergie. While Tanguy is available, Tanganga is ruled out with a back injury, Dele is suspended (it seems the FA are the only ones who remember his social media post) and Lo Celso only makes the bench, becoming the first player to injure himself social distancing.

Personally, I can't wait, how much have we missed seeing Eric Dier flounder in central defence and Sissoko and Winks give the ball away in the midfield?

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't know what to expect to be honest. Strange with no fans. 3 points would be massive

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm curious for the result/performance, and obviously I am hoping that we do well … but in all honesty, professional football without fans just doesn't work for me. And that thing they're doing where they simulate crowd noise for the telly is almost offensive.

Arsenal being shite is always nice, though.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Excited. Who knows what we'll see.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    LOL, Dier in central defence, Tanguy and Alderweireld on the bench, and a Sissoko-Winks central midfield partnership - Mourinho is effing brilliant!

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lamela's perm though.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    United should be ahead, a Sanchez howler (he heads the ball right to Rashford) and Lloris with the save. Spurs just sitting back with everyone behind the ball.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs lead at HT on a Bergwijn goal, scored on the counter. Son had a header saved by De Gea from a great cross from Bergie. United have had the possession as Jose has set us up like he did in the Man City game. Remember, the teams can use up to 5 subs.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It's all United in the 2nd half, Lloris with a superb save on Rashford, Dier with a super block on Martial. Pogba and Greenwood have come on for the visitors.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Guess what? Eric Dier gives away a pen. 1-1.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    FT 1-1, Eric Dier was rubbish, he is rubbish and he will always be rubbish.

12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    On the one hand I wasn’t lamenting this season being cancelled given how rubbish the team was; why endure more of this nonsense. On the other hand maybe a pitiful end might see Jose get the sack in which case the misery might just have been worth it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Look, I'm not happy that Jose only used two subs. You have five, Jose, FIVE! Use them! The team was gassed after 60 minutes. Let's be honest, Kane was a non-factor today and Gedson needs to earn his paycheck.

That being said, Jon Moss is shit and needs to be put out to pasture.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Why the f is Dier starting over Alderweireld?
    I thought he was going to be suspended anyway for going into the stands.
    Nice goal by Bergwijn.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And he was complaining after the game that he didn't have a good bench. This clown is priceless - he starts Dier over Toby and leaves Tanguy on the bench for the entire game. He was musing about how great we would be with Kane up top flanked by Bergie and Sonny - great, but when you put 11 men behind the ball and only create 2 good scoring chances the whole game...

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This kinda concerns me. I've never worried much about folks speculating that Harry will move on if he can't get trophies here. I mean, maybe he will and maybe he won't - I don't know. But I really can't imagine him being happy at Spurs if he can't get goals here. Jose has neutralized him in a way that defenses couldn't.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Maybe Jose could be the secret to defeating COVID - he has certainly managed to flatten the curve of Spurs winning games....