Spurs vs Man City, PL, Sun. Aug. 15, 11:30 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The Nuno era begins with a fixture against what will most likely be Harry Kane's future team.

Make no mistake, this is rebuild time as Fabio Paratici will need a while to sift out the deadwood from the squad. So far it has been a promising start for the new director of football, as he has brought in Romero in defense, Gil in attack and Gollini in goal, all young players who we can build a team around. Oliver Skipp is like a new signing in midfield and should form a good partnership with Hjobjerg. There is certainly some decent players in midfield, but we have yet to see the best of Lo Celso and Ndombele and Dele remains a mystery. Hopefully we will get to see what Sessegnon brings to the table.

Despite the new signings, the defense still looks a shambles and if Nuno can get any change out of the likes of Dier, Sanchez and Aurier, he will be doing very well indeed. I would really like to see Tanganga and Rodon get a run in the side.

Goals will be a problem with Kane likely to be sold and Bale heading back to Spain, unless Fabio can sign a striker at the last minute.

I know we beat them last season, but I can't see us getting anything out of this game. Looking at the other top sides (United, Chelsea and Liverpool), I can't see us getting anywhere near the top 4. We are likely to finish anywhere from 5th to 7th. On the bright side, the haul we get for Harry can be used to fill the remaining gaps in the squad.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Agreed that getting anything from it would be an unexpected pleasure. I just don't want to get hammered, and to look cohesive - preferably at the back - which would prevent us getting hammered - but also elsewhere on the pitch.

Early doors. I'm looking forward to it ... but probably shouldn't be.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Agreed not much to hope for from this game, though City do look a bit toothless without an out-and-out striker; bizarre they’re clearly set on Kane, but not actually making it happen. It’s a shame to see the brief window when United, Chelsea and alternatively Liverpool, City were rubbish with nothing to show for, but the team has been in need of a serious rebuild for 2 and a bit years now.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The return of the crowds and the psychology of a reasonable record against them give me a bit more hope of a point or three. I do kinda hope NES doesn't play Kane, worried about how the crowd would react. We need them focused on the opposition.

Though our defense is suspect, Ryan Mason got a creditable performance out of them vs. City in the league cup final. Lucas and Son have good memories of playing them too. Who knows.

Mostly I'm just glad they are back.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pleased that it's finally underway, but it's frustrating to think how much more difficult it will be now that we're no longer 'CL perennials' than it would've been to just refresh under Poch, while we were still perceived as being among the heavyweights. Oh well ... water under the bridge.

COYS!!!

6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It would have been really interesting to see what Poch would have done. Could have been an utter disaster, certainly some of those random wingers brought in over his tenure that quickly disappeared didn’t bode well, as you say though water under the bridge.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #7 pookspur, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Random wingers? Who ya thinkin' about there, Lazy?

Edit: Oh yeah... N'Jie and Nkoudou, I'm guessing. I'd pretty much forgot about the former, and have been working on forgetting the latter.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    here we go.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Those are they.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Six minutes in and City've had two great chances.

11. BruceC

BruceC New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 14, 2021
    Dier/Sanchez = Sigh

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crisp passing, aggressive runs, winning 50/50s, anticipation and intercepting opponent's passes. good chances created. All hallmarks of a winning side. And, that side is Man City, and definitely not Spurs.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are now looking more or less par with Man City.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What a run from Lucas there. He's looking sharp.

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been much better since about minute 20. Still, we are only about par with Man City. Either scoring would be no surprise. That Man City didn't score in first 15 is the surprise.

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    0-0 HT.

City with the better chances, but Spurs came into it nicely, and you can't say there's been too much between them. As was said throughout preseason, Lucas and Bergwijn seem to create the biggest threats with penetrating runs, but the final product is just a bit lacking. We're in it, though.

Grealish is quite good.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Big moment there. Bergie misses badly when in on goal. Really bad miss.

All Spurs though.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can we say about Son except Love Love Love!

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dougherty for Tanganga, who's been brilliant.

Fresh legs, but ... uh-oh.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "He's one of our own" being sung for Japhet.

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    c'mon, c'mon, c'mon ...

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This last 15 has been really fun. It's like Tottenham's players have remembered the skills they already had and put them to use in this game, finally.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "Are you watching, Harry Kane?" sung at fulltime.

I love Harry and always will; but eff right off to City, mate. We've got plenty of talent that wants to be at Spurs, thankyouverymuch.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levy was looking at the calculator app on his phone to figure that this win raised Kane's price on a sell to Man City by at least 10 million.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's good news and bad news.

Good news is Spurs beat Man City.
    Bad news is West Ham are above Spurs in the table.