Spurs vs Liverpool, PL, Thur. Jan. 28, 3 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    No Dele, no Lo Celso, we have only won 1 of the last 15 against them in all competitions. A win takes us into the top 4 at the half-way point of the season.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've gotta work a late one tonight. Won't see it. Not minding that at the moment, if I'm honest. I'd take a draw.

3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Curiously optimistic. We've not had the rub of the green against this lot in a while.

No Regulion either which hurts our creativity. A Mourinho-esque tight win would do the trick.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are the teams:

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Rodon, Dier, Davies, Aurier, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Doherty, Bergwijn, Kane, Son.
    Subs: Alderweireld, Sanchez, Winks, Bale, Lamela, Hart, Sissoko, Lucas Moura, Vinicius.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Henderson, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Milner, Salah, Firmino, Mane.
    Subs: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Minamino, Tsimikas, Shaqiri, Origi, Rhys Williams, Phillips, Kelleher.

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Strange lineup with 5 defenders and 2 RB. As long as Aurier stays out of our box we might have a chance...

5. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That sucked. Three goals, all down to errors. Played off the pitch, pretty much.

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll sum up my thoughts with this: When you go down a goal just before halftime and you're about to lose one your leaders to injury, you'd better come up with more inspiring substitutions than Harry Winks and Erik Lamela.

If I was in the dressing room and I heard that Winks and Lamela were supposed to give the team a lift, I'd also lose focus and concede a cheap goal 90 seconds after halftime.

Phillyspur repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Mourinho is such a twat. You have Bale, Vinicius, Moura and Sissoko on your bench and who do you bring on with Liverpool down to their 8th string centre back? Harry Effing Winks and Erik Lamela. And when you go 2 goals down, you wait till the 81st minute to bring on Bale.

Yes, the players were shite as well, but should we be surprised?

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saw a graphic yesterday. Mou has 6 home defeats with us, more than with any other club he has managed. Only 5 in all his time at Chelsea. We expected more of him and rightfully so given what he's paid.

A trophy would be his only redemption now. LC final is against an invincible looking City, tough FA cup tie at Everton, and plenty of good teams await in EL. Not hopeful.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And in all those defeats, you can't really say we deserved anything out of the games. He has set us up to be defensive at home, while the opponent has taken the initiative and been rewarded, playing the kind of football we used to play under Poch. Nowhere is that more stark in his head-to-head record vs Klopp, which now stands at 1-5 with 3 draws in the PL. Klopp plays digital football, while Jose is still stuck in analog.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It is so frustrating watching this manager grind this team into the ground. Ok, maybe we don't have the talent of a City or Liverpool, but it's not like we are bereft of quality. It's painful watching teams like Villa, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton play better football than us. Last season Poch was the right manager at the wrong time. This season Jose is the wrong manager at the right time.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I was also unhappy with Mourinho's substitutions yesterday, I don't agree that we "set up to be defensive" yesterday. This was our heat map away to Liverpool:
    [​IMG]

This was our heat map at home against Liverpool:
    [​IMG]

The thing that should worry you is that, for whatever reason, the team can either go on the attack or we can sit back and defend - but not both. Every time we have a game where we try to attack the other team but we give up a lot of goals, Mourinho immediately parks the bus in the next game. Happened last season when we lost 3-1 at Sheffield, happened against this season after the 3-3 debacle against West Ham, might even happen again after yesterday game.

I understand that some of you do not want to see Mourinho here for another transfer window. But, I don't favour sacking the manager until there's evidence that the team is under performing and right now, the team is still over performing in some respect (we should be further down the table). The mentality of the team needs to be better but we also need better two-way players so that it's not all out attack or all out defence every game.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The only reason our heat map was like that was because we were behind at half-time. He will never attack a top 6 side if we are level or ahead. Which means unless we score first, we are screwed. He is the only manager I've seen who makes negative substitutions when he is behind!

We are on pace for 66 points. Tactics Tim, who was as shite a coach as you'll see, finished his only season with 69 points with a side that was considerably worse than this one, and he wasn't earning 15 million quid a year.

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even if the premise that we packed the bus in the first half was true, 45 minutes doesn't account for the disparity between the two maps.

He does this to protect our swiss cheese back line. I understand if you'd rather be adventurous and lose 4-3 than 1-0, but I'd rather be where we are in the table than Leeds.

This I agree with.

Not comparable. There's never been this much parity in the league before. United, City, Leicester, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Southampton and us are competing for 4 CL spots and 2-3 EL spots. Literally, every week, anybody can beat anybody - just look at Sheffield's win over United. A bunch of awfully good teams will get left out, regardless of how much their manager gets paid.

This is where we disagree. I don't believe that Mourinho should have us several points clear of fourth, for example. But I do believe that we should be playing in a way that commands respect from the rest of the league. There's hasn't a fear factor when playing against us in a long time.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If you are happy with us paying a manager 15 mil a season to finish behind West Ham playing rubbish football, then more power to you.

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Happier than Abramovich after spending £128m to finish behind us.