Spurs-Villa [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by metropolis2k, Nov 20, 2004.

1. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Code:
              Keane Defoe
    Jackson Redknapp Mendes Carrick
     Edman   King  Naybet  Davenport
              Robinson
    That's the formation according to Mark Lawrenson. All I can say is thank goodness he's not manager! LOL

I'm guessing it'll be more like...

Code:
            Keane Defoe
    Ziegler Brown Carrick Mendes
      Edman King Naybet Pamarot
             Robinson
    With Davenport replacing Naybet if all goes well mid-way through the second half.

2. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Re: Monday's formation according to The Mirror

Your team is the team most likely to play. I think Davenport will be on the bench. Villa's strikeforce is likely to be Carlton Cole & Juan Pablo Angel so they are quite powerfull. Hopefully we wont make as many mistakes this game.

Mark Lawrenson is the worse pundit their is, I prefer Alan Hansen to him, just though

3. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now

Suggestion...make this the Spurs-Villa thread....?

Ok, well we lost the fixture last year 1-0. It's good to see the ofense scoring goals, hopefully Keano can get on teh sheet this week.

Game will be on FSW at 3pm ET on Monday

It's guna be though considering Villa have been playing pretty well

4. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England

Right, I've got to disappear now. Lecture 2-4, dinner (yes, dinner!) 4-5, football training at Uni 5-7, change then run down the pub for the football!

I can't change the title of the thread to make this the Spurs-Villa thread so hopefully either a mod will or people will read this one!

Come on Spurs!

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Davenport and Atouba are in the squad. Edman is "100% fit" as is everybody else who isn't out long term (Davis, Richards and Bunje).

http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=239337

Hopefully no suicidal defensive errors like we had last week, the boys will need to be defensively near flawless away from home against a good Villa team, especially Pamarot and Naybet who have looked far too vulnerable at times. If we do that I fancy Carrick to feed a pass or two for Defoe or Robbie to put away.

---------Robinson

Pamarot--King--Naybet--Edman

Mendes--Carrick--Brown--Ziegler

----------Defoe---Keane

Subs: Fulop, Davenport, Davies, Atouba, Kanoute

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Done. I got to go visit a Uni today, so I think I'll be home for the second half.

7. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Funnily enough my 2 hour 'Principles of Acoustics' lecture lasted 45 minutes so I'm back home before training! No canteen food for me!

Cheers for editing the title!

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    The team is:

----------Robinson

Pamarot--King--Naybet--Edman

Mendes--Carrick--Brown--Atouba

--------Defoe----Kanoute

Subs: Fulop, Keane, Redknapp, Ziegler & Davenport

Not sure where Simon Davies is. I would think injured but you never know he could have been dropped

9. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    FT 1-0 To villa, solano in the 57
    why did Davenport come on for Defoe in the 83? Seems kind of like a defensive move to me, and late in the game.
    This is getting frusterating....6 loses..its tough, but im guna be stickin around.

10. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Davenport didn't come on for Defoe. He came on for Atouba and Davenport went up front. They went for 3 at the back so I think it was a 3-4-3 they were playing.

On the whole they never looked threatening going forward. I thought Carrick didn't have as good a game as he did against Arsenal but he still wasn't bad. Brown was brilliant, putting himself about and tackling well. Pamarot was awesome at the back, I don't think he missed one header in the first half, put in some great tackles and was often the last man in the second half but clearing well. Atouba was at fault for the goal as he got caught ball watching (he thought he was going to get it but it went over him). King was good, Naybet had a very good game but Edman didn't look himself (went off because of an ankle injury). Atouba I thought was ok in the first half but didn't cover Edman well enough defensively - he was ok at left back surprisingly. Ziegler was great when he came on, gave them some problems at was defensively very solid. Mendes had a game to forget. He was good in the first half and had some moments in the second but never looked comfortable wide. Defoe should have had a penalty and could have put away a few chances but wasn't a memorable game for him. Kanoute was great in the first half. Really running at the defenders well and winning everything but seemed to disappear in the second. Keane had a game to forget when he came on. Robinson had a very good game pulling out some great saves. LOL I think that's everyone!

On the whole it was disappointing - I thought we were going to win before the kick-off but they never looked comfortable on the ball. We could have nicked a goal but never really troubled Villa too much.

11. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    tottenham hotspur - same as it ever was. honestly it's getting farcical.

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Heh heh.

Spurs rule!

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Defence was poor last week, this week it was the midfield's turn. If it's not one problem letting everything else down it's another.

A real lack of leadership, confidence and not nearly enough creative quality. for 60 minutes we were a bit better but unconvincing and not sharp enough. Villa were there for the beating, yet somehow they managed to lose it. Not good enough again I'm afraid.

Jol has not convinced so far, I suppose he's got to be given time and all that, but I don't think I've ever seen a Tottenham boss take over and get 3 defeats in his first 3 Premiership games before. Even Pleat did better than that. Most of the decisions he makes seem sensible, although there the odd ones which are strange and haven't worked.

Home game against Boro next week, a very tough, confident and inform side. If they can win this that would be a springboard to going on a positive run. Another defeat would be a full-on crisis.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    The difference was a class finish by Solano, neither team looked like scoring other than that. I also thought Michael Brown had a good game & to be honest he usually does a good solid job for us. Pamarot had a decent game, i think he will become a good signing, he is very brave & a hard player in the tackle

15. bitter leftie

bitter leftie New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Western mass
    I think Brown put in one of his best perfomances for Spurs...
    Villa was really there for the taking but we just didn't have the quality to take this match. Keano really looked lost out there when he came on. That said if Defoe gets his penalty and Kanoute finished his chance (that header should have been on target!!) we could have run out comfortable winners.
    Its too early to get down on Jol, we do have a good, young squad (minus Atouba) that needs to come together a bit more.
    Oh, and Mendes played one of his worst matches of the season...
    Boro is going to be a real difficult game, but we need to get something, cause if results below us go another way on Sat things are going to start getting ugly....

16. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We really should start Ziegler over Atouba. And if we lose next week it is time to start Phil Ifil as well. That kid is going to be a great attacking player, his crosses are money.

17. irish spur

irish spur New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    boston
    couldn,t agree more its an absolute disgrace not one player is shown any heart whatsoever terrible only kidding ourselves in my opinion maybe one of the best spurs teams over the past 10 years and im watching the worst week in week out in that same period shameful i play wiyh more heart on a sunday mornoing and thats only for a laugh players should be ashamed of themselves

18. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    We played well last night and Villa were lucky. We are not Man Utd or, dare I say it, Arsenal and cannot expect to go to Villa and be guaranteed a win (the scum got a draw against West Brom!). Jol's had an unfortunate start which is hardly surprising considering the circumstances in which he got the job.

If you want to get down on Spurs then go watch a video of how shite we were last season. We will get better and we need more than three matches (one of which Jol won) before people start crying sack the manager.

The time to judge will be at the end of this season. There's still time to finish in the top half of the table.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Please try to use sentences and punctuation as it makes it easier for everyone to understand your points. Thanks, and welcome to BS.

As for Spurs, I didn't think we were all that bad last night. We matched Villa for possession and it was a pretty even game. As has been said, Villa aren't a bad team and the result on its own is disappointing but no more. What is worrying is that we have lost 6 league games in a row, but this is one of the most talented squads Spurs have had in recent years and I'm certain that we will improve.

20. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Had we lost six in a row under Santini, with only one or two goals scored, then I'd be worried. However, considering we'd lost three under Santini already in the premiership, and Jol was landed in it at no notice, I don't see this as a bad sign.

Considering the way we played last night, and the way we played against Arsenal, once we turn this corner I think we'll have a pretty competent squad. IMO he just needs to drop Atouba and Kanoute (when Keane's fit), they both seem to lack imagination and give the ball away far too often.

21. bitter leftie

bitter leftie New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Western mass
    I think there are some rumours flying around now about Moyes making a move for Keane come the transfer window.

The one big positive, and it is big, out of the Villa match is that we didn't leak goals again and defended fairly well. We will get better going foward, Zeigler looks class, just need a bit better support from the midfield going foward. Mendes had an awful game but he is class and does play hard, in all honesty I don't rate Kanoute and i don't see him scoring regularly...

22. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    this biggest problem for spurs right now is what it has been for the last decade and half, if not longer.

major shake up at the (managerial/ownership/training/player) level

followed by a brief period of debate amongst the fans as to the pros and cons of the new team. usually ending in a consensus view that, this is the team to turn spurs around.

followed by a brief period (3-10 games) of success

followed by a brief period of "see i told you X was the man for the job"

followed by a longer period of mediocrity, flirting with the relegation zone

followed by a long period of grief and much gnashing of teeth amongst spurs fans

followed by a bottom 10 finish

repeat.

i'm not looking for some miraculous turn around, that's absurd, but something. either way. you know get relegated or make europe. something! it's like groundhog's day, just the same thing over and over again, with no end in sight.

23. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bang on the money Win!

We aren't playing badly, regardless of what the media are saying, trying to make it into some sort of crisis. Admittedly, Naybet hasn't helped by sounding like he's entering a major episode of depression in his interview after the match.

I don't think we played badly at all. The game was anyone's, and we were the team in the ascendancy when a moment of individual brilliance from 'The Nob' finally had Robbo beaten.

I even like Jol's tactics. He seems to be from the school of 'We're losing, so I'll play with 4 strikers.' It was weird seeing Davenport making his debut as a striker though.

Kanoute got in some great positions, but I never felt he was going to score. He lacked conviction and motivation. He needs a kick up the backside.

24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    True enough, but at least Jol has started the other way around by losing some games (League Cup excepted.)

Let's get real here. This Tottenham team is the best one we've had for quality all over the pitch for almost 20 years (er, except Atouba and JJ).

I'm excited by this team. I'm not being unrealistic, I don't think we're going to swan into the CL positions, or finish there at the end of this season, but I do believe we're on the right track at the moment. Things are really looking up.

And Villa are doing really well and they've only got about 16 players! It goes to show that alot is down to management of the players. I've seen some encouraging signs from the team.

Have patience!

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    while we're on (or near, anyway) the subject of villa, it may be worth remembering the way alot of theirs were calling for o'leary's head a month or two into his stint. those first few weeks are hardly representative of what he's done up there, now, are they?

i bring this up because i'm reminded of what brian clough wrote in an article on the subject at the time. something to the effect that for folks to be calling for his head after six or seven matches was pure madness - indicative of an utter lack of understanding the dynamics of developing and managing a football club.

i've not heard much "sack jol" nonsense yet - let's hope that we don't. jumhed is right, it's not as though giving the new manager a month or two requires the patience of Job.