Spurs v DC United on FSW - 10/17

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by FSW Producer, Oct 15, 2002.

1. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I thought it was a very entertaining game. I didn't find any of the commentators comments condensending. In fact, I thought he was extremely well informed on the DC players. Other than his mix up with MSL, I believe he did a fin job. And, really, regardless of you status in the soccer world, would you not have been excited to play against some of the greats in a charity match at WHL? I know I would. I really enjoyed the game.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that worse than saying "the EPL"?

English teams are notoriously half-hearted in friendly matches but it's still a good result. I'm sure Spurs didn't want to lose though and it's a shame DC didn't score earlier or it could have been a more realistic contest. Good result though.

3. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i hear your regarding the "EPL"...

i cringe everytime i hear that...

the intro for the Leeds v Liverpool game
    had an english lad.. stating the "prem"
    and calling the liverpool the "pool"...

he would be stoned if he said that back home...
    but i guess he's doing it for his audience....

that said.. im not going let it interfere with
    my enjoyment of the match...

Cantona---

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs TV

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English teams only, right? Everyone else in the world is blood'n'guts in friendlies, right? :rolleyes:

Please be careful to understand that just because you can't see over the horizon, that doesn't mean there's nothing there.

6. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wouldnt blanket that statement... but
    definitely in this game.. its was taken with a
    grain of salt by Spurs... their season is ongoing,
    they had a host of guest and (over the hill) guest
    players...

DC United had more to prove in this match.. and
    they did a pretty good job... considering the
    opposition... and i dont mean that in any negative
    sense...

British teams in testimonials though usually dont
    play with the "blood and guts mentality".... just
    on the odd occasions... most memorable was the
    testimonials that had Man U and Celtic... it was
    like the battle of britain.... but in testimonials
    its all good spirited fun... for a cause... as was
    this game..

Cantona--

7. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Spurs without Keane, Ziege etc but, i'm as happy as Hudson and the rest of DC fans.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-3k is an A-League attendance average. No MLS regular-season match has EVER drawn less than 4k, and this season they have rarely been under 10k.

9. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for correcting me as you clearly fully understood what I was trying to say.
    Tell me, is it easy to type whilst balancing that large chip on your shoulder or does it fall off now and then?

I didn't see the game and as it was on Spurs TV (I'd never even heard of Spurs TV) so I can't tell how committed the DC team were, but I'd risk at guessing they felt it was a good chance to pit themselves against premiership stars, old & new, and were looking foward to it as a contest. The spurs players, all 137 of them so it seems, would have regarded it as a chance to showboat a bit in a fun kick-about.

10. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and it seems you find it just as easy to read the Spurs players minds as Dave does to type with that large chip on his shoulder.... I'm not saying that they took the game as seriously as they would a league match, but do you think they wanted to lose to the last place MLS team in front of their home fans? I think there was a desire to win in both teams, but in the end they both realized that the result really didn't mean anything.

11. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to lose at home. Had the goal come earlier they might have put up a bit of a fight, but by then Spurs players on the field would have been more interested in playing to the gallery than the actual sporting contest. Just what was the team Spurs had on the field at that point? How many were over 35?

I'd be surprised if the Spurs players knew much at all about DC. They probably wouldn't even have known that they finished last, or even cared.

If you wish to claim that this result shows that MLS teams aren't rubbish then I'd agree. If you wish to claim that this result proves that MLS teams are not far off premiership standard then I'd request slightly more substantial proof than this.

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Spurs v DC United on FSW - 10/17

what else could you expect from these naive fools??

I remember when the metrostars beat Bayern munich in a friendly and some of the plums who support metrostars tried to use this game to prove that the metrostars could beat any team in the world...

they'll clutch at any straw to prove that they're "world-beaters" ...LOL
    even a win in a charity exhibition match..

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: Spurs v DC United on FSW - 10/17

No one here claims our team as world beater. The MetroStar fans are dillusional to begin with. All we are saying is that our league has grown in stature and competitiveness. We're not the shite most euros claim us to be.

14. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of the DC fans on these boards are happy with the victory, but realize that the result is meaningless. I don't think anyone has claimed DC has any right to any titles regarding their ability to beat other European teams. Both of you (Richard and Ronald) are assuming a lot of things that are just making you look stupid.

The Spurs team throughout the match consisted of more than a couple of first team players. And towards the end of the match they subbed in players that were actually a lot younger, like Blondel and Rebrov. Since you didn't see the game, Richard, it is really silly of you to make all these guesses about their attitude, though I would agree with you on some degree that neither team put much creedence in the result, although I am sure DC wanted to win a little bit more than the Spurs squad did. The Spurs squad consisted of Keller, Marney (youth team), Doherty, Perry, Bunjevcevic, Poyet, Freund, Gascoigne, Ginola, Klinsmann, Sheringham at the start of the game. And here are the subs and starters:

Tottenham: Kasey Keller (Lars Hirschfeld-46’); Dean Marney (Paul Allen-76’), Gary Doherty (Colin Calderwood-46’) (Stephen Kelly-76’), Chris Perry (Ronnie Henry-46’), Goran Bunjevcevic (Stephen Carr-46’); Gustavo Poyet (Chris Waddle-46’), Steffen Freund (Stephen Clemence-46’), Paul Gascoigne (Jonathan Blondell-49), David Ginola (Matthew Etherington-57’); Juergen Klinsmann (Clive Allen-64’), Teddy Sheringham (Sergei Rebrov-49).

So the game never consisted of a bunch of over 35's as you suggest. There were always several young players on the pitch, and at the point the goal was scored, I think there were only four players over 35.

So basically, what I am trying to say is, nobody is trying to make any claims on behalf of DC United because of the result of this game, and you should check at least a few of your facts before you start making excuses and laying out reasoning concerning a game you didn't watch or have the time to read about.

15. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All I'm saying is that in my time I've seen a lot of testimonial matches and in every one the result has had absolutely zero importance. It's just meant to be a fun night out. Any resemblence to a proper match is usually accidental. I've no axe to grind and I actually find it quite funny that you rather pissed on their bonfire as I'm sure they thought they'd easily get a few past you lot. Having been to an MLS match at Chicago and an A League game at Rochester I'm well aware that the standard of the American game is not rubbish. I suppose when you lack regular competition against opposition from 'respected' leagues a degree of trying to measure youself is inevitable. I just hope there were some London based DC fans at the game who'll be able to give their spurs supporting friends stick for ages to come.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome. In the future, please realize that there's a great big beautiful world beyond your teeny, tiny, one-modest-US-state sized island.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Spurs v DC United on FSW - 10/17

This match proved that DCU is competent, in terms of tactics and technique. I already knew that, and apparently you already knew that. I'll bet a pretty large portion of Spurs fans and players didn't know that.

I acknowledge that DCU took the game more seriously than Spurs did. I was more taking issue with your assertion that an English team would be more lax than, say, Leverkusen or Bayern Munich were when they came to the States. If Spurs come to the US next year for a pre-season tour, I'll bet they're just as serious (or un-serious, depending on how you look at it) as those German teams.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fixed your post.

19. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well I've never seen a testimonial involving two teams from outside England so I couldn't comment. I said that English teams normally are pathetic pre-season, which is true, and if they do post-season tours the they often have to raise their game to be regarded as pathetic. If you choose to think I'm implying that comparibly all other countries play friendlies as if their lives depend on the outcome than that's up to you. The level of tactical consideration in a testimonial would be far lower than even in a normal friendly match, although that might be countered by the fact that in a testimonial the players might look like they are enjoying the occasion. I've watched my team play pre-season in (continental) Europe twice. This summer I saw them play a friendly against bundesliga 2 side Reutlingen in a small village near Ulm. Despite the fact that around 50 fans had made an expensive trip over to watch them play, none of the players seemed to think it was worth putting in any more than the absolute minimum effort for the duration of the match. Nice scenery and nice beer though.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Cantona,

Bite me.

I wasn't going to flog this dead horse (although that does tenderize in prep for English over-cooking) until I noticed the reference to 'knowledgeable football fan atmosphere'.

Just to get the crowd thing out of the way, a number of these United players, aside from various world experiences, have played in front of a stadium full of 57,000 knowlegeable fans right here in Washington, D.C.

Just what is your problem? If you assume that the US doesn't have knowledgeable fans, then your definition of yourself as a 'eurosnob extrodinaire' is accurate. Kind of the opposite of 'ugly American', isn't it?

Now I will give you one thing--we're still developing our atmosphere. But it's not yet what it should be due to the lack of soccer (sorry...football) knowledge. It's just that our supporters groups are still educating the fans about chants and songs. We need more visiting examples, such as the 1000 or so Leeds supporters who came with their team to RFK a few years ago and showed us the rhyming qualities of the 'f' word.

22. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    DC treated it like every away team treats a friendly. They went out and got drunk the night before in London, then came and played around a bit. The Germans tried this with the Fire two years ago and got beat 6-1. Meanwhile, the youngsters on Spurs, playing early in the season, were thinking this was the chance to nail down a spot. And we still beat you.

Perhaps the large chips the English carry around on THEIR shoulders was too much of a handicap for them in this game. Maybe you'll have a decent national team someday. Till then, it must be awfully tiresome to make new excuses every time someone beats you in your national game.

23. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    seahawkdad... or whatever the hell you call
    yourself...

before you go flaming YOU get your facts
    straight...

the "knowledgeable fan atmostphere" was a
    direct quote from Ray Hudson the DC United
    coach at halftime....

and why wouldnt it be? it is Englands national
    sport... there are far more games televised in
    britain than in the US ...the passion for football
    cant even be described... is it here in the US?..
    sparcely.... you cant compare... and yes i think
    the average european fan would be more
    knowledgeable about the sport than an American..
    as would an American that was a fan of baseball
    be more knowledgeable than a European...

so go round up the kiddies and head back to
    your minivan, soccerdad...

again... another muppet...

Cantona---

24. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Cantona,

if you were a macedonian, I might concede your point.

the english have been proving they know little about soccer and less about the U.S. for 36 years now.

run along.

25. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With getting into a world rivalries style debate (god knows I've been in enough of them lately) if the English knew as much about the US as the average American knows about England then we'd know your language, be able to name about 4 cities and about 20 people and that would be about it. Know nothing about soccer for 36 years? Well maybe you'd like to give me a brief run-down on the glorious history of soccer in the US during that period.

ps

If you'd bothered to read what I was saying rather than instantly labelling me an anti-American heretic who must be burned at the stake, you might have realised that I was pleased that you won.