Spurs v Arsenal or Which NL Club Is More Shite

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs 2-1 Arsenal: as is usual with this derby, the team that is in more disarray going in comes up with a performance.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Can’t say beating Arsenal is much of a consolation, but losing would have been salt in the wounds.

soccernutter repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. My thought on seeing the final score, "okay."

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It is in my house. It's damn near the only thing that matters to me right now. Spurs are shite and football is shite. But beating them is always worth something in my eyes.

I've only three wishes for the remainder of this season in ascending order of importance:

1) qualify for the Europa League
    2) finish above them
    3) just get it over already

5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It certainly is a bizarre time to be a football fan. But beating Arsenal will always make my day, no matter what.

I read today that the manager's record after 22 games in charge is better than Klopp's beginning at Liverpool. My only solace for having my club be the vehicle for his ego is the track record of trophies he brings. Next season it will be put up or shut up for him.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we have to wait that long?

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're not winning anything this season. Except the Amazon documentary consolation prize.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Because, frankly, less than a full season with only one winter window is not adequate time for any manager to implement his program - and the level of investment in this particular one is a discreet finger on the 'patience' side of the scale.

I don't like him any more than anyone else, but sacking the manager twice a year is not the way to run a football club.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I wonder, would it be better to qualify for Europa and get that extra money, or not qualify and be able to focus on domestic competitions? I suppose qualifying would make it easier to recruit new players - they always say they want European football - but is there going to be any money to bring players in anyway?

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I worry. I think the Great One wants to sell Kane to raise a boat load.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Top players only want to come if:
    1. You are willing to pay them top wages.
    2. You are in the CL.
    3. You have a progressive manager and ambitious ownership with a proven track record of success.

The last time I checked, we don't tick any of those boxes.

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I would rather us not be in the Europa - we would play a bunch of games against teams like Gdansk FC and get knocked out in the round of 16, and then have to listen to Mourinho moaning about how he has to play on Thursday, while the other clubs get 24 or 48 hours more rest.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    BTW, whatever happened to those blokes who were going to pay 650 quid to fly a banner over the stadium saying LEVY OUT? I bet Uncle Danny called the pilot and gave him 651 to stay on the ground...

mekarshalev repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    But the current situation can't go on. We can't sign another good player at that position because nobody wants to sit on the bench behind Kane. So Kane plays every minute of every game until his body breaks. And there is nobody to take his place. Year after year. Maybe it would be better to sell him and bring in two players to compete for playing time at that position. I would hate to see Harry go, though.

But as Jose says, the great teams have lots of good players on the bench. So you need to convince somebody who is already at Kane's level to come in and compete. And with no money and no CL, I don't see that happening, certainly not this year.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't mind the moaning - Poch did his share, too. But without really knowing the economics of it, I would rather miss the Europa league, too. Playing in Europe has really hurt the team's performance in domestic competitions, especially the last couple years. Our squad just isn't big enough. If JM has time to stay home and work his magic on the training ground, maybe we can finally win something next season (and then he can leave, haha.)

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Won’t have any money to spend without selling thanks to COVID and the new stadium hanging round like an albatross.

We’re in for an Arsenal. Fancy new stadium, ********-all ability to compete in the transfer market.

17. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Equivalent of 5th place since he arrived.

https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/hqgl0p/spurs_are_5th_in_the_league_since_joses_arrival/

Phillyspur repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is one of the few areas in which I'll back Mourinho. He's said he wants to be in it, and I believe him. And if we are in it, he'll try to win it. He goes after every trophy he can get - even the League Cup, whilst simultaneously chasing the League and the CL - which I've always respected.

As to the moaning, he's going to moan about something anyway ... it might as well be this.

My only fear about Mourinho ... well, aside from the dreadful football ... is the way that he ostracizes talent. I don't know how Ndombele is going to play out, but we can't afford very much of that stuff.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    now ... where did i leave that 'i told ya so' thread?

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way the money is working out for this season, it may be that getting the money from even Europa League is a substantial positive. Still, I don't have confidence we will find our way to it.

21. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #21 mekarshalev, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    good 3 pts., 2 hk goals, classical jose

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He also said he would get us into the CL this season and have a go in the CL and the FA Cup (by starting our 3rd string keeper against Norwich). Jose says a lot of things, that's why Levy hired him.