Spurs up for Sale

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Rmort99, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Yeah I guess I dindt really mean patience...but I could find the right words. No matter, I think you got the gist of it :)

I think that your probably right on the money there. Time will tell

Indeed it does. Some other time perhaps :)

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "this may beg the question, 'why hire santini, then'?"

here goes.

it's been said that a continental setup with arnesen in charge of personnel, and jol managing the squad, was, in fact, the longterm objective. this assertion is certainly buttressed by the fact that jol was even brought in, at all. i mean, why take on an assistant manager without even consulting the manager? jol surely wasn't there because santini wanted him; but because levy and arnesen did.

the supposed rationale is that levy needed to bring in a bigger name than jol to pacify spurs' fans. the whole thing seems a bit convoluded to me, but the pieces do seem to (or can be made to) fit. santini needed a job, as france wasn't going to re-sign him. how long he would want (or be wanted) to stay, i suppose, would depend upon results. so why'd he go so soon? pressure for results? the asserted - then denied - family problems? handwriting on the wall? i certainly don't know. but he definitely went quickly and without much fuss. and one thing can, i think, be safely said - jol has ascended to his present position with considerably less inspection and criticism (criticism for levy, that is) than would have been the case had he come in over the summer.

i really don't know what to think. even while santini was there, i felt that the time would come when we'd see a jol/arnesen tandem. i absolutely didn't think it'd be this soon. frankly, i can't imagine that the club did, either. that said, i simply cannot imagine that the last few week's developments have been according to 'the plan'.

on one hand, i think (as my prior posts on this thread imply) that we are now, with jol/arnesen, more stable and with better longterm prospects than we were even a month ago. on the other hand, these recent events can be viewed as just one more of the upheavals that have hamstrung tottenham hotspur so often over the last 10+ years. as dave just said - time will tell.

i'd be very interested to hear what other spurs fans (or even respectful others) make of all this.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    You make a compelling arguement. If ive understood you correctly, then your saying that Arnson wanted Jol, but figured the fans wouldnt accept him, so he pulled a crafty and got him in sideways. Certainly feasable.

I actually would really like to see Tottenham do well. Id like to see improvement in ALL clubs myself. While I am undenyably a gunner at heart, and would love to see us win the EPL every year from now until the apocalypse, I also consider myself to be a fan of the sport as a whole.

In my book the greater the competition the greater the thrill from winning. For some years now the only real condenders for the EPL have been Arsenal, Man U, and Chelsea now looking like a real threat. Hardly makes for a riveting title fight. Short of some really off the wall results you only need to beat out two teams.

A return to form of sleeping giants like Spurs, Liverpool etc etc would make for a more widely entertaining league as a whole, which club loyalties aside, has got to be a good thing?

The last 25-ish years of football have belonged to the "dynasties", with Liverpool then Manchester Utd, and currently Arsenal having long periods of success before slipping into the table for a new Dynasty to take over. Chelsea are next. No doubt.

But with ticket prices are these days id much sooner have a really open league that ANYONE could win on any given year. To know your team has a chance would be enough to justify todays high ticket prices.

Wow. Tangent!

4. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    nice post Dave M!

5. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    OK, This is extremely off topic but would you change your name if Ledly goes to Arsenal?

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    No need to even think about that, King Ledley will NEVER betray us.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he'd have to. because if king went to the arse, he would, by definition, be 'no better than sol'.

8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    eh?

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    sorry to drag up such an old thread, but...

while it was admittedly pure speculation on my part, i wondered if santini was just temporary by design, and if jol/arnesen was in the cards from the start.

well, there's an article at soccernet.com

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=321148&cc=5901

in which jol claims that he was offered an assistant's position with ferguson at man u; but that he turned it down because he wanted to be "a manager with control of the team, not just assistant".

well, if this was the case, why did he take a job as #2 to santini? unless, of course, his promotion had already been determined. interesting, i think. i've not heard any comments from santini since the first days after his exit. anyone else?

perhaps one day we'll know.

10. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    The board wanted a big name manager, Trapattoni was who they wanted but when that fell through, we got Santini to leave the French national job so he was a big name. I've heard plenty of speculation about Santini, like he was told he only had a couple of games to get the team right so he quit before he was pushed then their was the Michael Carrick situation.
    Arnesen wanted Jol all along & thankfully he got him in.