Spurs transfers/rumors/etc. Summer 2021

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, May 22, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The transfer window is now closed in the UK.

Here is a summary of our activity:

IN: Cristian Romero, Emerson Royal, Bryan Gil, Pierluigi Gollini and Pape Sarr (loaned back to Metz).

BACK FROM LOAN: Oliver Skipp and Ryan Sessegnon

OUT: Juan Foyth, Toby Alderweireld, Moussa Sissoko, Erik Lamela, Danny Rose, Serge Aurier, Joe Hart, Paolo Gazzaniga,

And most significantly, Kane stayed.

Not a bad first window for Fabio Paratici - he got rid of some of the driftwood and addressed some of the concerns - RB, CB and GK. We still lack a playmaker in midfield, with Lo Celso lacking the consistency or the fitness to cement his place in the staritng XI. Ndombele could be that player, but apparently wants out of the club.

A solid squad with a couple of exceptional players, but not the aimless rabble we were for most of last season.

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All young players brought in. Mostly old players out. I think I heard Lloris is the only player over 30 left.

3. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I liked Aurier. He wasn't as bad as people make out.

Funkfoot repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Levy will like that. The numbers tend to work out this way. The key question, though, is will we have and maintain a balanced squad. Getting young talent and profiting on their development is great -especially for an agent- but if it's not the right talent ... well, that'd be like bringing in Damien Comolli all over again.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Apart from giving away bonehead penalties, hitting crosses into the stand, making foul throws and being constantly out of position, I'll admit, he was pretty good.

When even Daniel Levy is willing to eat 23 million in transfer fees, you have to be pretty bad. This guy was on the market and NOBODY in football anywhere wanted him.

6. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #131 jumhed, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    It was cheaper to let him go for nothing rather than let him sit it out and pay his wages for a year.
    He did a couple of foul throws and crap crosses, but he also did some great crosses and goals too.
    Most of his cackness was when he was settling into the EPL, which I'm sure we can agree is a couple of steps up from the French league.

Highlight reel, schmighlight reel, but his full-blooded rampaging play was pretty good.
    I think most of us were just annoyed that he wasn't as good as Trippier, who like so many other players was allowed to leave Spurs on the cheap and then won trophies;

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well if you want him on your team, he is available for free. I don't see a huge queue out there for his services.

8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Apparently he's off to Fenerbache.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Statistically speaking he wasn’t as bad as my memory, but not great. 77 appearances, 5 goals, 12 assists, 2 red cards, 1mown goal, 1 error leading to a goal, 16% cross accuracy.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Only one error leading to a goal? I can remember him giving away 4 penalties in the short time he was with us.

Believe me, we are much better off without him.

11. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I saw a rumour he might go to Arsenal

Yes. Please, God. Please.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't see Aurier anywhere near as harshly as Golara, but that 'one error leading to a goal' thing cannot be right.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well if he conceded 4 penalties, there are 4 errors leading to goals right there.

Just picking him in the side is an error.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Only if the penalties are converted, technically.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 that were converted and they all ended up costing us points.

One of them was at Brighton, just after Harry Kane had given us the lead: we ended up drawing.

One was at Anfield with 15 minutes to go and the scores level: we ended up losing 2-1.

And I quite clearly remember last season against Leicester, he conceded in first-half stoppage time of a 0-0 game that we went on to lose 2-0. Jose subbed him at half-time and he reacted by storming out of the building like the dickhead he is.

Anyone remember the other one?

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No idea. I just know that it seemed like every week he'd either make one big mistake that cost us, or he'd make one that didn't, and you'd breath a sigh of relief and think, "there it was, and we got away with it!"

... kinda like Y.P. Lee, but without the being lovable part. Aurier was better than Lee going forward, though, to be fair.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Aurier is a present-day Pascal Chimbonda

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't be breaking on Chumbawumba, now! Chelsea got no joy down their left in the 2-1at The Lane in '06, and I don't have to tell you why.

Watch your step!

19. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Whats that coming over the hill is it Chimbonda? Is it Chimbondaaaaa?

20. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't mind players who give their all. It's players that don't who piss me off.

Funkfoot repped this.
  21. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Was that the Icelandic volcano game?

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No, the volcano game was later. This was the one with Ledley's tackle on Robben, Dawson's header, Lennon's winner, routine uneventful transatlantic flights, and my ass in the Park Lane end. The volcano game was the one with my ass sat in The Acme, necking Bell's Oberon and fuming in general.

23. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    While I watched the game with your ticket. Thank you Pook, and random geological events.
    Let me know when you're next over.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    On the upside, the volcano spared me sitting through the most boring Steel City Derby ever. Silver linings, and all.

Fuming aside, I was pleased the ticket went to good use.

As to next time over, I was hoping it would be this fall, but now I'm looking at yet another 'career' adjustment, so that may be put on hold yet again. But yeah, I'll let you know whenever it happens. We'll get a couple down t'neck.

25. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    None of our Lb's or Rb's will ever reach the majestic heights of the god that is Mauricio Taricco.
    Totally unironically my favourite ever Spurs player.