News: Spurs Multimedia Links

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spur_Forever, Jul 26, 2006.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Most of that video is quite encouraging. Wage bill proportionate to revenue is one of those key indicators that often suggest that a club is dancing a bit close to the edge, and we've always been - and remain - strong on that count. Most everything about it suggests a club that is well organized financially. Still, the video rather blithely sets aside a billion pounds (a billion effing pounds!) of debt by merely saying it's not due for years. Granted, that's significant given the club's ability to generate revenue over those intervening years ... but that still doesn't make it go away anywhere near as easily as it does in the video's script.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yes, but as the video states, the debt is structured like a mortgage, it is not all due at once.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A billion quid?! I'd fooking hope not.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would say that Levy has built a solid foundation for success* with the new stadium and training facilities. Now they desperately need to get the football right. If the squad remains full of lazy, choking donkeys, then prize money won't flow in and stadium seats will be empty. Without success on the pitch, the whole thing crumbles. Levy is smart enough to know this. The Mourinho gamble didn't work out, but Conte and Paratici seem to be on the right track.

* "Success" = being in the top 4 regularly and occasionally winning something

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Success on the pitch would be nice, but the stadium was built so Levy and Lewis could cash in when a sugar daddy comes in for the club.

Levy has shown time and again that he lacks the ruthlessness you need as a chairman at this level to win trophies. Case in point was the hiring of Antonio Conte - it should have been a done deal in the summer, but Levy bottled the negotiations. Just think about where we might be if we had signed the Italian in the summer.

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just coming here to recommend this video. It really educated me on how clubs operate, particularly Spurs.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the point where the debt comes due they may renegotiate it on new terms. I think sooner rather than later is better, but I'm NOT good with money. It just seems with present interest rates low, you get the biggest bang for the buck paying down the loan now. Levy may have structured it that way to make sure the team is financially able to be agile in the player market and to provide cushion for unexpected events. That ended up quite wise with CoVid not really being known before January 2020 and not really understood in actual impact until months later.

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The Beeb is showing a two-part documentary on Gazza. They aired the first episode today. Lots of archived footage. Highly recommended watch.

9. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I wish they'd stop flogging that dead horse of a story. Should just leave him alone to his fishing. He's very vulnerable and sick.

10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It goes into how the press hounded and used him. It's so far the best tribute to the man I've ever seen.

11. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #412 electrickeeper, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you give a preview? I'm not thrilled about giving Spotify any of my data.

14. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, basically they go through Hoddle's career and the Weah stuff (I forgot that he played for Wenger there) was just talking about how raw George was when he was trial at Monaco. They talked about his managerial stints as well and his England sacking.

He said he was fortunate to join Spurs since they were one of the few technical teams at a time of long ball dominance, which allowed him to grow as a player.

Really interesting things.

It's also on other platforms if you use them for podcasts (Apple, Google, Acast, TuneIn). Here's the actual link to the episode from their site.

Also as a bonus, Kate Mason (Spurs fan, formerly of Sky Sports) is the interviewer. I have a *slight* crush on her. :D

soccernutter repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dane Scarlett with two nice goals for Pompey.

stlducks and soccernutter repped this.
  17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A very interesting interview with former player, interim-manager, current coach, and Thread-of-Famer, Ryan Mason. Well worth a listen. Loves the club. Don't be surprised if he manages it (again) some day.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

SF19 repped this.
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ Great analysis.

@Golara

Check out the 8th minute mark. He compares the transfer strategies between Spurs and Arsenal.

20. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Seems like a nice bloke, with a high pain tolerance.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    This is good for a chuckle. Or maybe a cluckle.

SF19 and soccernutter repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    BalanceUT, SF19 and Golara repped this.