Spurs January 2022 Transfer Window - Rumours, Wants, Confirmations

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Doesn't quite have the same ring as "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio..."

soccernutter and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's even more to sending out three and bringing in 2. That means there's a roster spot for an academy prospect if one is catching Conte's eye.

soccernutter repped this.
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will miss Alli. When he was playing well he was simply a joy to watch. Fun, verve, creativity, beauty. When it was lost I kept watching for the old Alli to return. Glimpses seen, but never consistently. Sad. I want him to be a great footballer because I believe that's really possible for him. Fare Well, Dele!

Funkfoot repped this.
  4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I won't miss him because he is a disgrace. He basically downed tools and was stealing his salary from the club. I will miss the talent unfulfilled. If he applied himself, he would be an automatic selection in this squad.

His first 2 seasons, he scored 28 goals in 70 appearances and then only 23 in 111. He reminds me of Adebayor, a player who if he applied himself, would have been one of the best, but for some reason wouldn't, mainly because he was a high-paid dickhead. I have no time for rich athletes who couldn't give a flying. That scene with Jose in the Amazon doc summed him up perfectly. It was the only time Mourinho made any sense in his time at Spurs.

brasileiragem repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harsh. But I must concede that moving him on provides very little - if any - remorse. And that is seldom the case with me; especially with a player with history at the club. Ndombele? Good riddance. LoCelso? He's more of what's typical for me ... there's a player in there ... why aren't we seeing it? There's a player in Ndombele, too, but he just can't be arsed. Dele's somewhere in between. He's not been used much in the same ways that saw him at his best, so maybe it's not just about effort ... but maybe it is, and how long ya gonna give it?

Anyway, good luck to him. I hope he does well at Everton, a club who's successes I don't disparage. If it didn't affect our bottom line, I wouldn't much care about Ndombele's footballing future. But it does, so I hope he makes a fist of it back in France.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If Harry Winks is getting picked ahead of you in a mediocre squad, it's not because you're not being used properly, it's because you lack desire and effort, and there is no excuse for that. He had that hunger when he came here from MK Dons, but once he got his juicy contract, he decided he was king of the manor and checked out.

7. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Re Dele, I just think we changed the way we played and he couldn't or wouldn't adapt.
    Watching him one or two-touch a long pinged pass from Alderweireld into the net was beautiful, but for whatever reason his game of runs into the box stopped happening and the rest of his game simply wasn't as good.
    If he's played to those strengths he'll be a success again imo.
    I wish him the best. I don't think he became Bill BigBollocks, but only time will tell. I hope Lamps gets a tune out of him.

Funkfoot and soccernutter repped this.
  8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Winks is good but needs certain players alongside him to function properly.
    Lo Celso and Ndombele also have really good players in there somewhere. Not working here, move them on.

I read a great quote in the comments from Dele's Everton transfer. It was something like;

'You can join Everton or restart your career Dele, you can't do both.'

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't know what Conte and his staff have done with H. Winks, but he is doing stuff he never did before, like making meaningful passes forward, tackling opposing players and covering a lot of ground. So the coaching definitely had something to do with it but the player also has to have the desire to improve and work, which is clearly something that is lacking with Dele. And his decline started once he signed his big contract after his third season.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nature's first green is gold
    Her hardest hue to hold
    Her early leaf's a flower
    But only so an hour
    Then leaf subsides to leaf
    So Eden sank to grief
    So dawn goes down to day
    Nothing gold can stay.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It doesn't matter how much talent you have or where you play, if you don't want to work and lack desire, and just want to collect your paycheck, you will be a Dele/ Ndombele/Adebayor.

One of the reasons we had success under Poch was that he got these kinds of players out of the club. Conte is doing the same thing.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    C'mon, Winks did all of those things - and did them better - under Poch, before he got hurt. I'm ecstatic that he's finding some form again, but it's hardly as though he's showing something heretofore unknown.

The reality is that a football side (and team) can be a complex thing, and we really don't have a clue (or at least nothing more than a clue) as to how things go, save the results come matchday. The same player, trying to play the same way, can look great in certain sides, and appear rudderless in another. When someone like Adebayor cruises up in his Rolls-Royce, smiles at the staff, and jogs off to train with the reserves, it's a fair bet that he's coasting. But we don't know how hard Dele's been working, we only know that whatever effort he's putting in isn't working. And that's reason enough to move him on ... but it doesn't validate criticizing his character. Maybe he's gotten the big contract and is just dialing it in, but we don't know that.

People have spent the last few season ripping Winks apart, and among the criticisms of his inability to find a teammate going forward were implications that he simply couldn't be bothered to do what it takes to be effective. I don't know, of course, but present evidence suggests that was nonsense.

Dele, it turns out, lost form at roughly the same time as a number of our better players (and the team, in general) lost form. Eriksen had to move on to find it again ... but find it he did. Toby needed a new manager before coming good again. Things change. It's complicated. And none of us, if we're honest, really knows anything beyond the results.

Ndombele looks like he can't be bothered, and has done under three managers, now. That's good enough for me ... out you go. But he'll probably look great again in France. So what ... he just won't try in England? Maybe. Or maybe it's something else. Who knows?

jumhed repped this.
  13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Incidentally, the reason that Poch purged the likes of Lennon, Kaboul, and Capoue wasn't because they lacked desire and didn't want to earn their pay. It was supposedly because they didn't buy in to Poch's vision 100%; he saw them as dissenters, not lazy. Holtby, to be fair, was said to be 'not serious enough', so maybe we can file that under 'lacking desire', but even he wasn't accused of sloth.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I read a lot about how hard Dele was working in the off season to improve his fitness. I don't think the problem with him was lack of effort. Not this season, anyway. N'dombele isn't made for a league where all 10 outfield players have to run all the time. Lo Celso, I just don't think he's good enough for England.

But really I think it comes down to what Conte calls "trust." Could he trust N'dombele to give 100% effort? I think the answer is clearly no. Can he trust Skipp and Hojbjerg to always give 100%? I think so. And the two guys we brought in seem like they can be trusted to give 100% effort. Sometimes more effort overcomes more skill. See our matches against FC Mura and the like.

I'm pretty happy with the window overall. Really hope Lo Celso and Ndombele don't come back. Paratici has enough to do without flogging those guys to every team in Europe.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah, if we could get our money back for Ndombele that would constitute a minor miracle.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If you are not getting into a Conte team, you are either not good enough or you are not putting in the effort. I will trust his judgment based on his record. With Dele, it was clearly the latter and it wasn't just under Conte. Why should I have any sympathy for a talented player pulling in 150K a week and not putting in the effort?

Eriksen had simply run down his contract and wanted a move - he was basically a dead man walking in a Spurs shirt.

17. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well I correctly predicted one.
    The other one just put the Spursy back in Spurs