Spurs in Europe 2021/2022

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, Aug 2, 2021.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Brilliant ball-winning tackle from Winks, who then puts Gil(?) through on the left, who cuts it back into Kane in the box, who finishes calmly.

1-0 Spurs.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harry just misses putting Sess though for a tap in.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sess off for Hojbjerg. 62'. Spurs 2-0.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lo Celso very nearly with a third, played in by Doherty. Nice save from their keeper.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Gil fires just past the far post (he had other options, there). Chances keep coming. Opposition looking a bit leggy.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spurs 3-0. Missed the third while my stream was buffering. I think it may have been an own goal off a deflected free kick.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Gil off for Bergwijn. Kane off for Son. Kane comes off to what appears considerable applause (my feed has no sound). Getting a brace doesn't hurt.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bergwijn hits the post from a tight angle. A fourth appears to be coming. They're out of gas.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sonny through on goal, but the keeper does just enough.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dele for Lucas. 84'.

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's more like it.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    3-0 FT.

Kane 9'
    Kane 34'
    OG 70'

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Had planned to watch a stream but pesky work intervened. Only saw the last 10, when it was all over. I did enjoy the Pacos player stopping the ball with his hand and then protesting the handball. Even Winks laughed.

Job done, let's see which far off places we'll have to go to in the group.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bryan has a shedload of skill. He'll be a player for us. The most exciting part of today's viewing, to my mind.

Bergie's abilities to come close without actually scoring are unparalleled.

Kane'll probably score a bunch of goals; but that's not really going out on a limb there, is it?

15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    When we're in Europe, I always like to draw the biggest names for the biggest ties possible.

... looks like I'm outta luck then, at least until the knockout rounds - and even then it doesn't look good. The only club with any kind of genuine European pedigree that we could get in our group would be Feyenoord. And while giving them a good beating on the pitch would be nice, I can't think that hoping ours and theirs mixing about is ever a great idea. I'd just as soon give them a pass - though it might be better to get them in the group phase, whose games are less intense, then later. Still, I'd just as soon avoid them (read: their fans), altogether. I guess Partizan had some clout back in the day, as well (they reached a European Cup final back in the early 70s [edit: it was '66, oops]); but if we're honest, there just aren't any glory ties to be had in this draw.

I guess if I had to pick anything, I'd take Union Berlin, as I've been there and really like the culture of the club. I've also been to Slovan (Bratislava), and wouldn't mind seeing us go there. Both are in group C, so we can't get both.

If we're honest, the only glory to be found in this tournament will come via Roma and/or the final. And frankly, I don't want Roma (read: Mourinho) in the final.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. Pot 1 is where all the action is. Even then the fact that LASK can be there is kind of revealing. Basel are a shadow of their former selves. We could get some revenge on them or Gent, in the knockouts.

Qarabag and Cluj have been in the champions league not so long ago, I think. But I'm reaching.

If Spurs or Roma are eliminated by anyone other than each other, it'll be quite the upset. But we are used to them.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If I needed any convincing about how rubbish this competition is, the previous posts sealed it. I am just praying none of our top players (Kane/Son) pick up an injury against these.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's Rennes, Vitesse and Mura.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Be reyt. They're footballers. Playing football is what they're paid to do.

21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    France, Holland and Slovenia. Nice draw in terms of traveling. Mura have the lowest coefficient of any team. I expect Nuno will continue to use fringe players, especially road games.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Getting French and Dutch teams will, perhaps, be a slightly bigger challenge, as they will at least have a bit more experience v bigger and much more expensive sides. They might be slightly less overwhelmed by the occasion.

I'm grasping, here, I must concede.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You wouldn't be saying that if Kane or Son had done their ankles last night.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well, I'd not be happy, for sure. But I'd not be happy if they did the same in the League, either.

If one of ours goes down in any comp, I'd think of it pretty much the same. Being in Europe (any comp) means more fixtures, which naturally increases the odds if injuries. And you can say the same about domestic Cup runs, too, but that doesn't mean I want out of the FA Cup asap. The increased risk of injuries is the residue of success.

Conversely to your post, Kane wouldn't have got a brace if he hadn't played last night. It's kind of the whole point.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If they get injured in this competition I am personally holding you responsible, Pook. :D:ROFLMAO::thumbsdown: