Spurs in Europe '07-'08 (quarterfinals will not suffice)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Aug 30, 2007.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i appreciate what you're saying, and intend no disrespect, but there was a time (and some of us old geezers remember it) when spurs were class - on and off the pitch. one of england's premier sides. a time when winning a cup while struggling to stay in the top half of the league, would not be considered a 'great' season. we've always cherished cups, of course, so, sure, no season with silverware will be a 'failure'; but you'll just have to trust me when i say that winning the UEFA cup would not cast a shadow over many a spurs' season.*

*which is not to say that there aren't many a season that it would. ;)

2. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    no disrespect taken at all -- I'm a newbie who admittedly doesn't truly appreciate the club history. I don't want to sound like an ignoramus, but I do believe that with everything the club is currently trying to do (become a big european club again), a UEFA cup victory would be a huge, huge step in that direction and thus a landmark season. Perhaps not one of the greatest in the grand scheme of things, but a landmark one nonetheless (assuming we build on it and reach our goals).

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    emphatically agreed. i think either the FA cup* or the UEFA cup would be huge for us. the carling cup would be nice, but not the same kind of indicator.

*i think the FA cup, even more than the UEFA cup, is 'getting harder'. it's really sad, however, that qualifying for the champions' league is a better indicator of quality than either. sad, because i'd rather win silverware than finish fourth, any day; but i know that the latter would probably mean more to the club.

4. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think I would be pretty excited if anyone outside the big 4 won the FA cup this year. That's a little sad.

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I have no idea whether he'll win us a cup or not, but *if* he lasts until the end of the season I suspect the fans will be very happy with him and his entertaining and competitive team.

Jol has gotten a team of attacking young players who are willing to stay at Spurs for him--not Levy and our low payscale. If Jol leaves, what's going to keep Lennon, Berbatov, Bent, etc. at Spurs? Obviously Levy has done a great job keeping the players on a low pay scale, but a third consecutive UEFA Cup spot and they'll all want more money. Once we break into the CL spots they'll want more money. So, that can't last realistically.

Every new coach wants his own players--that's a fact. So, we'll once again overhaul the roster if we bring in a new coach, and the current players will have less incentives to stay. Sure, we might keep Defoe, but at the expense of who, Berbs? Keane? Sure, we might add some flair Spanish speaking players, but who do you think they'll replace, Lennon? Bale? We'd lose Jenas, Huddlestone, Zokora, Malbranque and Lee almost definitely, but does anyone think that we're going to keep the rest of our core under a new coach? I definitely do not.

I think Jol has proven himself in the Eredivisie (however u spell the Dutch league!), and at Spurs. THFC are achieving again and entertaining again. Despite another slow start, I can't really predict anything other than at least another UEFA Cup spot for this season. If we get it a 3rd time in a row, that'll be only the 3rd time we've gotten it since the Premiership started, which is saying a lot.

The Board may not be happy with Jol, but if they want to replace him, their best chance is during an early slump. Jol's track record shows that his teams improve during the season, finish strong, and generally outperform their talent level and pay scale. So, sacking him after the season will be tough. If the Board doesn't sack him during his early season malaise, they suffer tarnishing the Spurs brand considerably. For a man (Levy) who is rumored to want to buy, enhance, and then sell Spurs for a massive profit to move up in Lewis' empire, I can't see him really wanting to tarnish the brand just before he sells it. Bad business that.

-Digital

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    best chance to sack him, perhaps, but the worst time to replace him.

7. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Agreed. It's a stupendously stupid time to replace a manager, but it's about the time Levy sacked Hoddle too. It's not a smart time to do it from a club success standpoint, but it may be the only opportunity to do it from a Levy-save-face standpoint. So, that begs the question, which is more important to Levy, his image or the club's success? I didn't think he'd make the same mistake twice, and I hope he learned from that disaster.

-Digital

8. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The thing that really grinds my gears about this season is that we haven't learned from last year. Another slow start? Another game where we were up big only to let them back into the game?

Yes, MJ brings some great things to the table, which DT listed out above. But let's learn from our past mistakes, ok?

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're referring to Jol and yes, on the evidence of Fulham, he hasn't yet. But let's also hope that Levy learns from his mistakes and remembers that firing a manager in September can leave you with a whole season of disarray.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So back to Europe, what do we need from the home leg to avoid a Crisis in Cyprus? 3 goal lead?

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    just a win should suffice. hell, even a draw should suffice, as we'd likely still beat them there. but, yeah, if by 'crisis' you mean "what will it take for us to to to cyprus without nervousness?", i'd agree that a three-goal advantage should do it - for me, anyway.

i'd probably be ok with 2-0, too. but the way we let sides back in it, i'd prefer that we not take our foot off the throttle until we're up five or six. ;)

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Let's just not predict any clean sheets ... Derby is our only clean sheet this season and last year we didn't have too many either.

Home leg I'm predicting a 3-1 win.

-Digital

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry, just trying to beat the tabloid headline writers to the punch. My point was the home leg first puts the onus on us to score goals. No question, we will, I just want to avoid any nerves. You're probably right, any kind of win will likely be enough at the end of the day.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok. so we're through to the group stage.

the draw will be made on 9 Oct, and will place 40 clubs into eight different groups of five. each group will receive a club from each of five pots - pot 'A' holding the best eight clubs, pot 'B' the next best eight, etc. the constituents of each pot are determined by coeficient ratings, of which i know not.

my question is this: does anyone know - specifically - what determines the coeficient ratings? ok, forget that question - does anyone know what pot we're in?

15. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Team Coefficients

Pot 1
    Villarreal 78.374
    Bayern Munich 73.640
    AZ 63.995
    Panathinaikos 55.415
    Basel 54.869
    Bordeaux 49.706
    Bayer Leverkusen 45.640
    Anderlecht 41.594

Pot 2
    Tottenham Hotspur 40.618
    Lokomotiv Moscow 38.920
    Zenit St Petersburg 38.920
    Sparta Prague 37.851
    AEK Athens 36.415
    Hamburg 34.640
    Bolton Wanderers 32.618
    Austria Vienna 30.104

Pot 3
    Spartak Moscow 27.920
    Sporting Braga 27.107
    Galatasaray 26.791
    Atlético Madrid 25.374
    Getafe 25.374
    Everton 24.618
    Fiorentina 21.808
    Rennes 20.706

Pot 4
    Hapoel Tel Aviv 19.338
    Red Star 19.256
    Copenhagen 19.129
    Toulouse 17.706
    Dinamo Zagreb 17.533
    Panionios 16.415
    Nürnberg 14.640
    Mladá Boleslav 13.851

Pot 5
    Aris Thessaloniki 13.415
    Aberdeen 11.064
    Zürich 9.869
    AE Larissa 8.415
    Aalborg 7.129
    Brann 6.509
    Elfsborg 4.478
    Helsingborg 3.478

Pot 1: avoid Bayern and Villareal
    Pot 3: avoid Fiorentina, Galatasaray and Atletico

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    thanks, murph. some decent clubs down there in pot three.

and what about aris thessaloniki down in pot five? didn't jaymes have a tryout with them back in his playing days?

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I hope we get a Greek team other then Panathinaikos, and we get them away. I'd definetly like to try and score a ticket for that.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the draw is on tuesday.

the most important thing for me is that we draw a home match on Nov 8th. i'll be arriving in london on the day, and it'd be great to take in another european cup night at the lane (did brugge last year). bayern, villareal, or atletico would be brilliant; but i'll take anything.

19. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Tough life, huh pook?

;)

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i support tottenham hotspur. yes, yes it is.

21. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Touché...

22. Aud300

Aud300 Member

Aug 14, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs miss out on top seeding in UEFA Cup draw

Tottenham have just missed out on top seeding for tomorrow's draw for the group stage of the UEFA Cup.

The draw will be made using UEFA's club co-efficients, with the leading eight clubs put into a pot of top seeds, but Spurs' rating puts them in ninth spot.

Martin Jol's side will therefore join Bolton among the second seeds in the draw at UEFA's headquarters at Nyon, Switzerland - while Everton are among a group of fourth seeds and Aberdeen in the bottom eight clubs.

It means all the British clubs face the prospect of being in a group with one of the top seeds - including Villarreal, from Spain, and German giants Bayern Munich.

The 40 clubs will be drawn into eight groups of five, with each team playing two home and two away matches. Clubs from the same national association cannot be drawn in the same group.

The top three in each group will join the sides finishing third in the Champions League groups for the knockout rounds, starting with 32 teams.

The draw starts tomorrow at 11am BST.

23. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that just sums it all up for Spurs... we can't get a top seed but somehow Leverkusen (who we beat in group play) does?

Add to that the other not so great teams like Slavia Prague & Besiktas that we beat are in CL group phase this time around.

I just hope we get a favorable group draw!

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't worry. only two of the five teams in each group are eliminated. if we can't get through the group stage of the UEFA cup - regardless of who we draw - then we aren't good enough to get anywhere, anyway.

we'll be fine.

25. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Spurs should certainly progress from this group. But it's not just progression that I'm concerned about. If I remember correctly, if Spurs place second in the group we end up with a home and home tie with a team which comes directly from the champions league, which I would very much prefer to avoid. (On the other hand, if Spurs win the group, we end up with a home and home against a third-placed side from one of the other UEFA cup groups, which would likely be a far weaker opponent.) So it would really be far preferable to win the group than finish second or third. We got a pretty good draw today, I think, but with Getafe languishing in the league (their start is about as bad as ours) Spurs' major competition for winning the group is likely to come from Anderlecht, and we play Anderlecht away. That could end up being a very important match, and I'd have preferred to have it at home. But I would make us favorites to win this group..