Spurs cry foul over new UEFA rules

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Dave_M, Apr 21, 2006.

1. SF Gooner

SF Gooner New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    tri state stunna
    That sounds reasonable, but that's exactly what these foaming from the mouth cnuts aren't. :D

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    If Arsenal win the European Cup, Tottenham can bloody have 4th for all I care.

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Riiiiiight... So us challenging the knee jerk rule change last year following Liverpool's failure to clinch the 4th spot is all whining and tantrums, and yet you lot throwing your toys out of the pram over Saturdays goal was, what? Mature and sportsmanlike?

Mr Pot, say hello to Mrs Kettle.

5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool won the Champions League and deserved to come back. Ever wonder why they call it the Champions league? I think its because they assume that any of the big clubs in a country have actually won a Championship in the recent past. Unfortunately, sometimes smaller clubs try to sneak in, despite the fact that they haven't won shit in eons.

6. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Arsenal for the CL.
    Spurs to finish 4th.

It will make my season :p

Spurs, big club my arse!!!

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i think this is more or less right.

i can't speak for anyone else, but i haven't spoken with any spurs fan who thinks that legal action is a good path. the differential in money is so great that the club will be under plenty of pressure to look into any potential wrinkle in the legalities; but the rules are clear enough, it seems to me. a law suit won't pay off, and the more vigorously it's pursued, the worse it will make us look. i really suspect that this was just floated out there to guage a response, and that it won't be pushed. i hope not, anyway.

basicly, most spurs fans know that if we get 4th and you win the CL, it will just be a case of very hard phukkin' cheese. it would suck. but we can cope.

8. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
  9. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
  10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

God, you Yids keep on coming up with it, don't you. Wenger's point WAS that Liverpool got in because of a rule change AFTER the tournament had finished. The rules were changed for this season BEFORE the qualifying rounds started, so everyone knew where they stood. Clearly your management staff thought so little of your prospects this season they decided not to check the rule book of the Champions' League.

"UEFA Cup, you're having a laugh..."

bigg

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that's the line I like.

The suggestion that clinching 4th on the Sunday meand they'd be forced to commit financial resources, without possiblity of change, before the following Wednesday to see which competition they'd be in.

If one team wins the thing, and the other finishes 4th, who deserves to be in it more? A team finishing 4th shouldn't be in it in the first place regardless.

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    And indeed not all leagues "pay" 4 places.

13. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    I agree actually. As already mentioned though, this decision appears to have been made by the board, not the management. No Spurs supporters that I know are whinging about the new rule.

14. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Indeed, and infact the article I copied that initial post from is quoting "A Spurs Spokesman".

15. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Exactly,

....unless it's Arsenal of course!! ;)

Congrats on the promotion and championship btw!