Spurs cry foul over new UEFA rules

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Dave_M, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Not sure if this has been posted before but here:

Spurs cry foul over new UEFA rules

Tottenham are going to take the fight to UEFA should they finish fourth and be denied entry into the Champions League next season.

Under new UEFA legislation, Spurs would be playing in the UEFA Cup should Arsenal win the Champions League and their North London rivals finished fourth.

When UEFA changed their regulations for entry last summer, they stated that the three countries with four Champions League places - England, Italy and Spain - would have to lose one of those spots in the event that a team from one of those nations won the Champions League.

All other European countries, who have fewer than four spots, were told they would not lose a place if one of their clubs finished outside the qualifying positions but won the Champions League.

A Tottenham spokesperson said: "All Premier League teams start the season knowing that the top four get into the Champions League and those four teams should qualify regardless.

"Clubs have to make spending decisions based on getting into Europe and to have that taken away a week after the end of the domestic season because another English team win the Champions League is not right."

But UEFA are refusing to budge, with William Gaillard, UEFA director of communications, saying: "The decision was taken last year, so if we changed the decision again we would look like complete fools.

"The rules are clear. If Arsenal win the Champions League then, like all defending champions, they would be in, and if Tottenham finish fourth they would be out."

2. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
  3. Skizz

Skizz Guest

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been telling an Arsenal supporting mate of mine that Spurs would finish 4th and Arsenal would win the Champions league since before Christmas. I 'm pretty sure I'm going to be right.

Tough titties on them too if it happens, they knew the rules before the start of the season.

5. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Well to be fair it would be a bit harsh if it goes down like that. If the shoe was on the other foot id be gutted. Course if we get 4th its semantics anyway.

What made me laugh was this particular quote:

"A Tottenham spokesperson said: "All Premier League teams start the season knowing that the top four get into the Champions League"

He's trying to make out that the rules have changed mid-season. If that was the case Id be the first to say the Spurs would be right to feel robbed. But as the rules were changed PRE SEASON its hard to claim any great injustice.

6. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong

That would imply that Spurs fans, employees and players are literate enough to read....

7. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    With a game in hand I am confident that if we beat Spurs on Saturday we'll finish 4th anyway so suck on that Spurs.

8. feej92

feej92 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    maybe they should have aimed for THIRD place then.

fck spurs!

9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe its a G14 conspiracy and barca will roll over for us in the final.

10. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

what babies. :rolleyes:

11. zonametro

zonametro ASU here I come!!

Jan 26, 2006
    Arizona
    what are spurs gonna do if they dont even finish fourth?

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Poor Spurs. Are they saying away trips to the likes of Široki Brijeg, Xanthi and Tromsø just aren't enough for their cosmopolitan supporters?

13. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I suspect for most fans it would merely be confirmation :)

14. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    Shh...quiet...before a spurs fan comes in here.:cool:

16. SF Gooner

SF Gooner New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    tri state stunna
    I really really really hope we win the CL now and they come in 4th. I just want that to happen so bad. Winning the CL and coming in 4th would be nice to, but it would be better if we won it and they came in 4th.

17. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

Exactly. It will be 1919 all over again, and just as deserved.

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Parrot murderers!!

19. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fcuk the cheating scum. If they lose out and get bumped to the uefa cup, too effin bad.

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

Hey, who's cryin'? Just using a bit of logic and common sense here. Whatever...you guys can enjoy your point from yesterday and see if it gets you anywhere by years end.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Tottenham should stop whining. The club knew how things were at the start of the season, and they should stop pretending they had their sights set on fourth the whole time.

I don't think many Spurs fans would be overly upset if they finished fourth and still missed the Champions League. At the beginning of the season, they were just aiming to make it into Europe - they've hugely surpassed all expectations, including their own.

Fourth - finishing above one of the big four, and their local rivals to boot - and European football will I suspect be most satisfactory. Sure, there'd be some disappointment, but at the end of the day it's still been a great season for them.

24. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think its more the tottenham boardroom then the spud fans.

spud funs are just like any other fans, more or less;). like you said, the spud fans are happy as it is because they have competed with us this year. long time coming imho.

25. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd still take 4th, because the higher you finish the more money you earn off the premier league.