spurs champions league?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by mis-e-one, Dec 31, 2005.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    true. and yet any statistician will also tell you that the odds of it happening this year are exactly the same as the odds of it happening last year.

2. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Real Madrid will come good. So I doubt there will be any worries there.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield

4. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    An idea I've flirted with myself on several occassions. However noises I;ve heard suggest recent rulings would render us both qualified in that situation?

5. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal to win the Champions League? Only by the principle that the UCL often makes no sense, and therefore the very unlikely and ironic (Arsenal winning this year of all years would certainly be both), becomes probable.

But honestly, Madrid is hardly a top contender, and many don't see Arsenal getting past them. Madrid have been shaky at best this year, and if they still bother Arsenal, I'd imagine the matchup with a class side like Barca, Juve, Milan, or Bayern would be too much for them. And we've seen how they match up with Chelsea this year.

On paper it looks very unlikely, but so did Porto and Pool, so I guess anything is possible. At least two of Barca/Chelsea and Milan/Bayern will be out of the way, so that would help them.

Personally, I don't know who to pull for in that tie. Is there any way for both of them to lose? It should be entertaining though.

I do think that Spurs could compete given the right group and a couple of smart signings. Obviously winning the whole thing would be a big ask. But they could get to and out of the group stage possibly. I mean, look at some of the teams that made it to the knockouts. Artmedia Bratislava almost made it even!

If they got stuck in with, say, Juventus and Bayern, they would be toast (probably), but if they got in with Ajax, Thun, and Olympiakos, they could win their group. :)

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the club qualifies for the Champions League I'm sure they will sign at least 3 or more class players in the summer. The money will be there and the club has been upgrading the squad to this extent and more for the past couple of seasons, with no sign of stopping. So not worth judging their likely progress by this seasons squad alone.

As for "inexperience" - Edgar Davids has more champions league winners medals than the entire A*senal squad put together. Mendes has won it as well and can't even get in our team. Robinson, Jenas, Tainio, Mido, Lee, Stalteri and Keane have all played numerous games in Europe as well. No worries on that score.

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Man, that came back to bite us in the ass.

Not sinking in? Alright, I'll use the sarcasm code.

[sarcasm]Man, that came back to bite us in the ass[/sarcasm]

How about now, Dave? :D

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the very real possibility of no st. totteringham's day is sinking in, eh, dave?

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    'big' is relative, of course. no one's saying that we'll be a beacon of opportunity to the top half-dozen players in the world; but we'll have money to spend, and the combination of money and champions' league football pulls talent. the fact that the arse haven't signed more world-class talent over the last 5+ years is, in my opinion, (if i'm charitable) more attributable to either wenger's inclination to develop it rather than buy it, or (if less so) dein's preference to invest in stadium seats, rather than talent. i don't think it unreasonable to suggest that you could have bought more than you have.

and surely london doesn't hurt. the nouveau gouche over in SW6 haven't exactly found it impossible to lure the mediterranean set up to gloomy, wet londinium.

and as far as santini goes, well, he just couldn't take the pressure of three losses on the trot at as massive a club as THFC. :D

10. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

11. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Haha I hope so also. I would LOVE to see that.

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Which is kind of what I was trying to get at, but could't quite articulate properly. There are enough individuals in the team that have experience at that level, and as such I don't think Spurs' lack of experience as a whole team would be a problem...

13. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Im not suggesting that his departure was any great loss to the club, but it did back up my point rather nicely...but hey ho. Jol has been fantastic for your mob so I can see why you mourn Santini's passing so much :)

Im not quite ready to walk down that balsphemous road just yet ;)

Probably not, but its hard to know one way or the other. Certainly we've all got used to asking "who" during the transfer windows and then being pleasantly supprised.

14. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    An insightful counter point mis-e-one. Thanks ;)

15. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

....Hmmm. I think that you will find that it's only Arsenal fans that relay the same comment you made.

We have been called the following - "Sleeping Giant, One of the Top Five Best English Clubs, A Massive Club", etc, etc by many top pundits Dave.

Get your facts straight.

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Depends really. We haven't been a top team for a while but in terms of trophies the 5th most sucsessful in England so...

17. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Many of the guys I know have Arsenal chalked up as a relatively small club comparable in size (until recently) Spurs. However I know what your getting at, and of course it stands to reason that as a fan of any given club your perspective will be jaded - thats kind of the whole point.

And as colm says historically Spurs are one of the most succesful teams in the country. Certainly in terms of FA Cup wins.

Well those arn't facts, those are opinions. It is my opinion that a team that has not won in the top flight of the league for over 40 years is indeed a sleeping giant, perhaps even a comatose one, and thats not an entirely flattering statement is it?

But hey, y'all have latched onto one comment and are this is probably going to degenerate into an argument before long sooooo. Summary.

Summary:
    If, IF Spurs finish 4th I think they will probably do alright in the Champions League until such time as they meet serious opposition.

Like Rangers ;)

18. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and in terms of European succsess too :)

and don't forget our great sucsess in the best trophey in the world the league cup ;)

19. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Im glad you said that. Means you can't come and troll our forums when we celebrate winning it this year.

And no I don't have any concept of Sarcasm. Or Irony.

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    That's why I used the sarcasm code before.

21. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    No problem.

22. mklein818

mklein818 New Member

May 15, 2004
    Rosslyn, VA
    Seriously, we're in a situation now when every league match is vital--and "six pointers" with other top-6 teams become absolutely crucial.

Saturday's match with the Liverpudlians is a case in point. If we take points off of Liverpuddle, it cements the credibility of our drive for the UCL. If we get humbled--or capitulate as we did against Lye-ces-ter City (as we yanks call it), holding on tight for a Uefa cup slot will probably be the best we can hope for.

And speaking of hope--my fervent hope is that the four major goats of the "Lyecester City" matchup--Rasiak, Kelly, Gardner and Brown all get sent to Fulham, Wolves or Chivas USA in the next four days...

CMON YOU SPUHS!!!!

23. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    My point Dave was exactly the one that Colm made - Historically, we are one of the biggest clubs in England.

Of course I can't say that we are the biggest or bigger than Arsenal at this point - that would be stupid. But saying that we aren't a big club does put you on a stupid list.

I am a realist, always have been and always will be.

We have a hell of a long way to go before we can say that we are a top 5 club again, but as we are already a big club, it won't feel like, well, let's say Wigan or Birmingham* getting into and staying in the top 4 of the English game.

* No disrespect meant by mentioning Wigan or Birmingham.

24. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think finishing 4th would be fantastic, and we definitely have a chance. But my main goal has always been the UEFA Cup spot at 6th. Let's be realistic, we haven't finished 6th or higher since the Premiership was formed, so that's a good goal for the youngest team in the Premiership and a relatively new Premiership coach. Anything higher than 7th is a good thing in my book.

-Digital

25. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Good point Digi, but that doesn't mask the fact that we are a big club.