Spurs-Arsenal at the Kezar/1906 in the Off Season

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by RoundBallNewbie, Aug 20, 2007.

1. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all those who were at the game on Saturday, Alvin and I's North London derby piss-up will take place on September 15th at the beloved Kezar. Everyone should come out, have some booze, and get loud. You will have a great time watching Arsenal lose, I promise.

Other than that, I was thinking about general post season activities for the group. If you look around the league, the best supporters stick together in the off season and continue to socialize, plan, attend soccer/other sports, etc. to recruit and gear up for the next year. It's going to be a big year in 2008 with the Quakes and the return of our San Francisco Hammers :)D) and I think we need need to be prepared for it. Plus, we know we're of no mood to miss drunken days with other soccer fanatics.

So, just wanted to start a thread for potential ideas.

Social/Soccer/Sports:
    - semi-regular Saturdays at the Kezar for Euro viewing
    - college soccer
    - 1906 Raider game outing?

Organizing for next year:
    - Find a group sponsor
    - exploring the SF-San Jose gameday bus idea
    - planning tailgate issues (grills, kegs, etc.)
    - developing recruiting tools (business cards...don't laugh, this works wonders in DC)
    - group swag (SCARVES!!!!)

Yes, I suffer from an excess of enthusiasm, but it's never too early to start thinking, right?

2. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just a quick correction. Saturday morning 'Live' EPL games are shown at the Mad Dog in the Fog at Haight and Filmore. Often big games are re-shown at both Kezar and Mad Dog later in the day. Keep up to date with what games are being shown and when/where:

http://myspace.com/maddogsf

Oh yeah, expect a cover of around $10. More for FA Cup and select Internationals. I believe they give you drink tickets but cant be sure...

Here is an interesting thread regarding viewing at the Mad Dog:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385796&page=5

3. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea we need to continue even in our offseason plus like 1906ers need a reason other than the day ends in Y to throw back some pints and watch a game :D

4. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    You'll have a hard time getting me out to a place with a $10 cover when I already paid for all the channels I need to watch the matches live at home.

5. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 10 bucks is if its on Setanta, not if its on FSC. Anyone know what channel that game is on?

6. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its on FSC but kickoff is at 5:30 in the morning. Maybe the replay at Kezar would be better. Because to justify drinking at 5:30 in the morning I would have to start drinking the night before and just keep going :D

7. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm down for that. Count me in! ;)

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    As far as I know, it is illegal for a bar to sell alcohol before 6am ..
    So, during the first half you will have to settle for a crappy coffee and a bagel.

9. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what my flask is for Alexi, makes crappy coffee good coffee :D

10. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Im not sure if Bagels are on the English Breakfast menu.... :)

11. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better believe if I'm up at 5:30 in the morning and without sweet, sweet alcohol then I'd better be eating an English breakfast and not some wimpy little bagel!

You gotta assume it's a big enough game that it'll be on FSC, right? I personally don't care, 5:30 or replay time I'll be there either way. Thats for us to decide later on when we know the real schedule Just as long as we all show up and toss more than a few back, all is well. (Actually all we really need is me, Alvin, and someone to laugh at Alvin with me.)

12. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there if for no other reason, to laugh at you and Alvin. :D

13. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody interested in meeting at Kezar for a pint (or two) on Thursday night to watch the LA galactifags play Chivas Jr in the LA derby. It should be fun because you get to heckle both squads and laugh at their fans at the pub :D

Just a thought (or excuse to go to the pub) :rolleyes:

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of the big games are only on FSC as a tape-delay (a few days later), but Fox PPV or Setanta PPV live.

What members of 1906 are interested in playing soccer? How about forming a team and joining an amateur league?

15. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Like a true gunner, I come back late in the game!!! Sorry for the late post. I've been transitioning to a new job this week.

You know I'll be there to watch the sadness slowly come over the faces of Spurs fans both at the pub and on the screen.

What time will you folks be getting there? Does 5 sound good?

16. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Btw...Roundball...I think your idea of post-season activities is brilliant. Delle Alpi, Bruiser and I lugged our drunken post-last-victory-match asses to the Raiders Season opener. It was quite a sad sight.

I'm down for sporting events, playing sports (although I've never really played football) and plain 'ol drinking get-togethers.

Any excuse to get together is good enough for me. I'd be down to set some East Bay activities occassionally for the Non-SFers; don't forget about us in the 510!!!

17. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game starts at 5:30 so yeah about 5:00 sounds good. Is there parking around there I have never been there.

18. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was at Mad Dog's last night to see the re-show of England thumping the Ruskies :) and inquired about this game. They were not really sure if it was gonna be shown live and told me just to keep checking the hotline (415) 442-7994. The word on the $10 cover is most weekends its not in affect unless its a really big game so I guess thats wait and see as well.

19. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to FSC's website the game is on at 5:30am.

20. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is why they are not sure if they will show it LIVE. If think if they do show it LIVE they are not allowed by law to serve alcohol until 6 or 7am :rolleyes:

21. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what will they do wait until after 6:00 to start the game or not show it at all and let Kezar show it later?

22. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If they are open I'd imagine it will be like a breakfast place that shows the Prem(until they can serve). English Breakfast and coffee can be served whenever :D

Only way to know what they'll do for sure is to keep checking the hotline. I'm kinda pissed they haven't been updating the website this year but I think they've changed some personnel.

23. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Emulating his beloved Spurs, Roundball can't deliver and is making excuses. He can't come to the match. Honestly, his presence was the big pull for me to get my ass out from the 510 at 5am...to watch him squirm and and see the progression of desperation and finally relent.

Yo Roundball, is there ANY way you can get out of your responsibilities for that morning!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway...just wanted to take a roll call of those who will go if they play it live.

- Al

24. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Al we still don't know if they are going to show it live or not as of yesterday Mad Dogs hot line had no new info on it. The only way to watch it may be on replay at Kezar but we will keep checking. If they are going to show it live you can count me in.

25. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Latest update on the hotline...even more confusing

The hotline said it'll be played at 11am.

On the fox soccer website it says kickoff is 8:30am (EST).

On Arsenal.com agrees with the FSC time but it mentions that "the game isn't live on UK TV."

Where the hell does that leave us?

I'm gonna call around to find if there will be anywhere else it'll be playing *praying for an east bay location*