Sporting vs. Lille - Europa League 12-01-10

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by natenate101, Dec 1, 2010.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly Ugly Ugly stuff tonight from Sporting. Pretty much everyone was mediocre to bad. The team had much posession, but most of it was in our own half. Too many back passes and the crowd´s growing restlessness illustrated their displeasure. Ref kinda stunk, but Sporting players were going to ground and expecting to get every call (Looking at YOU, Andre Santos!). Polga took his goal well, finished like a champ. Liedson worked hard, Postiga make some dumb decisions with the ball, Djalo was inivisible, Maniche/Mendes solid enough but really didnt push the action enough for my liking. Big disconnect from Midfield to Forwards.

Santos was pretty terrible, giving away posession too easily and generally being weak out there by feigning injury several times. Evaldo wa horrendous with his passing, gave away posession too many times to count. Thats not to say he lacked effort, he just wasnt sharp. The rest were ok, Pereira is a crazy hothead as him and Hazard were going at ech other a little bit.

Overall, glad they got the win, liked the supporters groups/Ultras on both ends and happy I got to see them in the flesh. Just wish the spectacle on the pitch was better. Oh well, its all about the experience. First in the group is locked up, right?

2. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the win, mate!

3. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I get where you are coming from, but a win is a win and I;ll happily take it. The player that I;m really upset is Yannick seriously needs to go, hope an EPL team is dumb enough to cough up even 5 M for him. Disappointing in seeing Salomao not even make the bench, the kid is better than yannick.

And yes we have won the group with a game to spare.

Question; how many were in attendance?? I'm guessing 15,000?

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, a win is a win but I wanted to be mesmerized....haha
    Salomao couldn't have been any worse, thats for sure. Djalo totally screwed up that 1 v. 1 with the Lille keeper.
    Vukcevic's FK off the bar to end the game was awesome.
    Crowd was sparse, I'd say 12-15,000 or so. Just a guess.

btw, any idea where I can get some relatively cheap Sporting gear? The legit price for jerseys, sweatshirts and all that is borderline criminal. :D

5. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah a cold Wednesday night doesn't attract people to the stadium.

I know in the stadium theres the "Loja Verde" wear the sell the jerseys but they arent cheap abot 60-70 euros, and pretty sure they have scarfs, hats etc.

Another question lool, did you go to the futsal game? Even though we lost 4-2, it was an entertaining game. But things got a little out of hand at the end.

6. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It got colder as the match went on, and I did buy a scarf for 5 euros outside the stadium. At least it didnt rain though. The crowd struck me as pretty tame, and the type that waits for something interesting to happen in order to really get into the match.

I didnt get to the futsal match, what happened at the end?

7. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Different objects were being thrown at each other and firecracker was thrown by Sporting fans to the benfica fans. :)

8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've met several Benfica fans and although they chuckle and smile when I tell them I support Sporting, I can tell there is some serious judgement going on in their heads about me....haha, serious business this football.

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    they are prolly wondering why an american from california supports Sporting. benfiquistas like to think they are the only ones with fans outside of Portugal:rolleyes:

but the fact is Sporting is a global brand with more potential than any other in Portugal. heck yesterday I was watching TV and they were reviewing pro evolotuin and FIFA 11, and what team did they show on the TV when they were playing the game? Sporting i remember the guy reviewing the game scoring with yannick.

Sporting is World wide!

10. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Make sure you get a pastel de nata in belem.

And get some "carne de porco alentejana com almeijoas".

And of course eat lotsa cheese and drink lotsa wine. If you go beer, Superbock.

If you like roasting chesnuts, they should have them around just about everywhere. I'm not a fan.

Did I mention superbock?

11. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Sporting is not a club, it's a lifestyle!

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, Belem is tomorrow morning's activity, along with searching for cheap Sporting gear and finding my wife a cool ceramic christmas ornament. Had a liter of Sangria and a Superbock just about an hour ago, which is why i'm off to bed now! Not so young anymore.

Had some chestnuts yesterday, I'm also not a fan. Tastes like a mushy peanut, no thanks. Thanks for the tips!
    -Z-, you are probably right about the first part, cant really comment on the second. Lisbon is a cool place.

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Belem is cool, lotsa historical crap there. And, something that's kinda cool is the "car museum" or carriage museum. The monastery, and the tower.

Take the train and head into Cascais. Just don't take the train too late at night. Go have a drink at the Camoes statue, down Rua Direita. Rua Direita has tons of little shops: ceramics, cloths, tourist traps, jewelry. And a couple of good seafood restaurants tucked around there by Praia do Pescador. And go into the marina, but that's a little "too modern".

Man, I need to go back!!!

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the beloved Sporting keeps marching on in Europa league. its our duty to make sure the Europa league comes to Portugal, and not to the Den of Deceit and Corruption (Estadio do Dragao)

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You must have had a bad bunch :)