Sporting v. Academica |Oct 29th 2012

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by natenate101, Oct 29, 2012.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    56TH MINUTE, another uninspiring performance from Sporting.

Arias---Boula----Rojo----Insua
    ------------Rinaudo-------------
    ------Adrien-------Schaars------
    -Viola-------VwW---Pranjic----

That was the initial lineup. Gelson came on for Arias at the half. Now Izmailov on for Adrien.
    Pranjic and Boula have been terrible, Schaars and Adrien mediocre, with Viola and Insua being the bright spots.

Ugly stuff though, neither team looks good but they are more dangerous.

WOW, PATRICIO SAVED US! Incredible tip over the bar after Gelson gifts a run on goal to Marino.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Grande Patricio. The only true player. Sporting needs new field players .

3. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One of the few bright spots in another mediocre football night by Sporting.

The other two bright spots:
    Betinho's header.
    "Godinho, cabrão, pede a demissão!" chants towards the end of the game.

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Gelson and Boula almost gave two goals to Academica. Viola tried in the 1st half ,but had no conditioning to last a full match. All the Dutch players are spent as far as I can see. The Argentines, same thing. Truthfully, the worst 10 field players I've seen Sporting fielding in many years.

5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like Viola and with time he can be something special. Schaars (does nothing), Rinaudo (no brain on this player to match the incredible energy and passion), VwW (has to finish the few chances we create), and Insua have all regressed since last season. Adrien plays well then does something dumb, though with time I think he can be reliable. Pranjic just has not cutting edge, he's decent and all but disappears. Izmailov remains the only class player on the squad aside from Patricio.

We are in a bad position. Probably gonna see a youth movement coming next season or maybe even earlier if Franky decides these vets need to sit.

6. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    People need to chill with this new players. We aren't getting 16 new players, we aren't getting 5 new players.

Give them a coach and make a decision in a few months.

I do question whether Adrien can play the 10 though. If he can't then clearly he needs to be put in the CDM position and fight with Schaars/Fito for playing time.

7. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I posted my IN and Outs, I joked about it being a "perfect world". I'm under no illusion we can scrap everyone....unless we promote a good bunch of the B team. Costs us nothing really. I'm perfectly "chill".

Agree about Adrien, though who would be the better option at the 10? Izmailov for sure, but for some reason no one wants to try an Izmailov/Adrien/Rinaudo midfield. I do think Schaars is more steady than Adrien, but he also won't conjur up any magic like I feel Adrien can. And from the #8 position, probably would be the best spot for that. Labyad was supposed to be that, but who knows whats happened to him lately?

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Schaars plays a defensive role in the NT. Maybe that's what he should do here too.
    I know he has scored some important goals, but he has shown what a weak mid-field Sporting has at the moment.

9. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Labyad is supposed to be the eventual #10. Problem is, he isn't ready, but neither is the interim-#10, Adrien. I don't want to say he had us fooled, but he clearly lacks in the creativity department. Adrien is more Veloso, than Moutinho.

10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think he is between those 2, but take into account this team which is completely out of sorts. His role is undefined, he started the first few matches of the season, then was benched for something like 5-6 straight and has now come back into the fold. I'd say he's an attacking 8, kinda like Modric at Spurs (not comparing them talent wise, for the record). Provides defensive help and works the transition from defense to attack playing balls that split or spread out the defense.

Same for Labyad, his start at Sporting has been stop/start and I kinda feel for the guy. We assume he was brought in to play the 10 but with his lack of experience and even time at the 10 with PSV, he is still a very unknown commodity. Very curious that he hasn't played in awhile now, not sure if he picked up a knock or something? The guy needs some minutes though, and Franky will be tasked with finding out how to best utilize young talent like Labyad, Viola, Carrillo, Adrien, Martins, Cedric and Arias. That's the future along with the B team talents.

11. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    RE: Adrien

I've always seen Adrien as more of a box-to-box type. Problem is Schaars is that sort of player as well. He plays off of a #10, he isn't a #10. #8 is correct in your analysis. So in reality we have a DM and two #8's playing for us in any combination of Schaars, Elias and Adrien. At this time, I am not prepared to decide what sort of player Andre Martins might become.

RE: Labyad
    I think part of the reason Labyad has not played is because Sa Pinto went for a stretch with two DM's and one attacking mid, thereby eliminating him from selection. You could argue he could've fit in at RW, but I'd say Carrillo is #1 at that position and they have been trying desperately to make Jeffren work now that his injury problems are over. That would make him #3 at RW.

Throw in international breaks and a news story that "Izmailov and Labyad" return to work on Abola a few days ago, and I'd say it's pretty understandable why he hasn't played: Formation, Depth at RW, Int'l Break and an injury.

People are way to quick to write off players that don't make an impact immediately. Let's remember, this is the same player who PSV had a fit over losing, complained to FIFA and ended up pestering us for money for the better part of this year. I'm more than willing to give him a chance and let him mature. Given the alternative is go buy a #10 and I'm sure we don't have the money for that.