Sporting News Piece with anonymous player quotes on JK

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Golazo, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did I do to you???? :eek:

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you disagreeing with the following Straus conclusion based on anonymous comments from a handful of non-core players: :eek:

— Klinsmann and chief assistant Martin Vasquez either lack the tactical acumen and game-day chops to successfully lead the team or fail to communicate their wishes effectively.

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you keep misrepresenting the contentsof the SN piece, I'll keep calling you out on it. Straus spoke with 11 anonymous players and that group included both core and "non-core" players (as you put it).

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    • Personal attack deleted by mod.
    But now that 'every' core player has publicly denied being a source, [my esteemed colleague] claims the anonymous quotes came from "non-core" players.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You forgot to also put quotes around "denied."

6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I used it loosely. :)

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope that the article wasnt based on mostly non core players, otherwise the article is less relevant.Bitter players will say anything to vent,especially if anonymous.

This would be like interviewing Jimmy Conrad, Heath Pearce, Sacha Kljestan, Conor Casey, and Bedoya as "anonymous" after they missed out on the World Cup. Something Conrad is still bitter about if you hear some of his interviews. It would be heavy anti Bob.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  8. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I doubt Gulati and Klinsmann would acknowledge knowing about the concerns Straus raised if the only ones upset were guys like Brad Evans and Mix Diskerud.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  9. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conrad is bitter about missing which World Cup exactly?

deuteronomy and Dignan repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players felt uncertainty in San Pedro Sula, starting from the moment Bocanegra was benched and continuing into the Olímpico locker room.

“(Klinsmann) didn’t really say how we were going to play. It was a quick turnaround,” one U.S. player recalled.

I guess that player forgot the long pre-match tactical meetings (like here at 5:20 before the Guatemala match ) the team is "subjected to" ;)

http://www.ussoccer.com/media-library/Videos/US-Men/2012/06/120614-BTC-Deal-with-It.aspx

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I guess you forgot the player was talking about the Honduras game.

12. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
  13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you having issues understanding the word 'like' or are you suggesting there was not a similar tactical walkthrough v Honduras or are you suggesting that Straus' point was only about Honduras?

14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't need to suggest anything - the player is flat out saying it.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    See bolded for relevancy.

17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was probably too distracted by the player reaction to the Boca benching and oppressive heat that he got caught short by the quick turnaround. I'm sure he at least told them to express themselves.

19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is certainly relevant to show examples of pre-match tactical planning given that Straus raised that issue in the article. Folks can see for themselves the kinds of detailed tactical meetings that occurs before each match.

It is even more important since Howard came out and blasted Straus for using old (Howard) quotes out of context in that article. What was the context of that anonymous players' quote?

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If the point you're trying to make is that, why would JK be holding those kinds of meetings before the other games but not the Honduras one, I think there's a better way of going about that. Such as saying what I just said.

And again, you can generally trust athlete's public statements about as far as you can throw them. What's Howard going to say? "Yeah, JK's out of his depth and conducts himself like Clowny McClownerson"?

No. There was enough smoke around this issue that you can assume there was fire. And enough of the information was accurate enough to apparently result in a narrative, which has been echoed by other, independent voices (Kyle Martino being one of the obvious non-player sources to the piece).

21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to rewrite someone's point at least understand what you are trying to say. JK does not do any detailed tactical pre-match talk. Most head coaches don't. The detailed tactical plan is done before match day and usually by staff. Straus should know this so why did he include that player's quote?

So you will trust anonymous comments from players but not their on the record comments. FYI JJ had no problems telling Ives that JJ did not understand why BB only played MB and someone else. Maybe BB should try 2 other CMs.

Howard could have said nothing given that the question was about Dempsey as captain. Howard went out of his way to take a shot at Straus.

blacksun repped this.
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that TSN added an update right in the middle of that Boca National Inquirer paragraph titled 'Bocanegra backs Klinsmann'. :D

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying this was such a hatchet job that Straus would ignore if the player told him that staff provided direction on how they were going to play but Klinsmann didn't? I think the key to the quote was the part, "It was a quick turnaround" - possibly meaning that things happened quickly and they didn't get to all the details. Which, if that is the case, would be poor planning by the head coach. I found it hard to believe myself that JK would have had the team pressing as much as they were in that heat and humidity.

Jones did not say "could not understand why BB only played MB and someone else...". He said that Mo and Mike were paired, Mike and himself and so maybe they could try himself and Mo to see what works best.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying this was such a hatchet job that Straus would ignore if the player told him that staff provided direction on how they were going to play but Klinsmann didn't? I think the key to the quote was the part, "It was a quick turnaround" - possibly meaning that things happened quickly and they didn't get to all the details. Which, if that is the case, would be poor planning by the head coach. I found it hard to believe myself that JK would have had the team pressing as much as they were in that heat and humidity.

Jones did not say "could not understand why BB only played MB and someone else...". He said that Mo and Mike were paired, Mike and himself and so maybe they could try himself and Mo to see what works best.

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect Boca to say that and on reflection the players could feel the same. But, that is very different than having something like that sprung on them with little to no notice going into hostile territory.