Post-match: Sporting Kansas City - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 8/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 19, 2015.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's immaterial what kind of win you get when you're on a long winless streak. Lost confidence and the will to win is the biggest casualty. As JazzyJ predicted, a win of any type would galvanize the team's confidence and lead to more success.

TyffaneeSue and JazzyJ repped this.
  2. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are the chances that 4 or 5 SJE players had career nights in the same game?

1) Salinas;
    2) Cato;
    3) Amarikwa;
    4) Godoy;
    5) Wondo;

An easy decision for Kinnear in picking the next game starting XI IMO.

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    He had his best game of the season.

4. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what the hell happened to Chance Meyers and the back 4 of KC? haven't watched them much this year or last but I always thought Vermes' team played aggressive high pressure team defense.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If by high pressure team defense you mean lots of late tackles and ankle kicks, they did not disappoint last night!

6. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! you are being very very kind to JazzyJ e.g., cherry picking.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I give credit where it's due. Even JazzyJ can occasionally be correct. :)

JazzyJ repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might have almost had two goals?

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  9. Archie Roboostoff

Archie Roboostoff New Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lot if interesting stuff out there last night. First, Amerikwa's work rate is very good. I am liking him much better compared to his previous Quakes stint. Launching his body in the corner to block a clearance is infectious--Goodson and Bernardez both had great diving header clearances, showing an enthusiasm I have not seen at all this year.

Alashe and Godoy are a good pair. They are rangy and athletic and patrolled the middle of the field, really dominated, compared to Wondo and MPG.

Now, MPG has marvelous skills. But, the Quakes are not a possession team, and their best hope is to counter. MPG's extensive dribbling might work well with a possession team but not with his current mates. Nor can he get up into the box to get on the end of the type of cutback crosses that Shea was dishing up last night. But Cato can get there. Man, it was good to see some bodies getting into the box last night.

Wondo missed a sitter or two, but that header will get him going. Confidence is so key.

Did you say playoffs? PLAYOFFS!!

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #110 JazzyJ, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    If Quincy's work rate is what you like, it is actually less than it was in his first stint with the Quakes :--). So I guess he picks his spots more, but you could see the value that he brought to the team, even then. I didn't see any flying through air laying out to block shots last night like the one in Houston. I guess it wasn't really necessary by the time it was 3-0. But there were a few times in the 2nd half where it looked like he just went to ground - not flying through the air but more gently but quickly lying down. I'm guessing because he was expecting a pass on the ground and he wanted to increase the chance of blocking the pass? The guy just does some really unorthodox stuff out there, which is what I like about him.

I remember in the offseason Dom saying something about the team needing to have multiple ways to play, and not being too one-dimensional. Last night looked like vintage 2012 to me, all the way down to the lopsided score :--). But they do have more possession-oriented players on the team now, so if they want to they can switch it up. Depends on the opponent, the game situation, etc.

evade6317 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Archie Roboostoff are you the real Archie Roboostoff?

[​IMG]

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. Archie Roboostoff

Archie Roboostoff New Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not Archie. Just paying homage. I have a Navy cap given to me by a friend and I wore it around. Got thanked for my service too often and now I can't wear it any more. Might have to change my handle here.

nihon2000 repped this.
  13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see quincy and wondo combining up top in an effective partnership. That's the first time I've seen them combine effectively. Hopefully it continues.

Salinas and cato have been pretty poor most of the season hopefully last night was a turning point for them and not a one-off. They played great last night long may it continue.

Same goes for the rest of this team. hopefully that was not a one-off like the home win over chicago last year.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo was very (and I believe sincerely) complimentary of Quincy in his post-game interview, which suggests that the supposed rift between the two was much ado about nothing.

QuietType repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah -- they've both put aside their antipathy and are focusing all of their disdain on Sam Garza.... :devilish:

QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were total bro's last night. Hopefully the start of a great strike partnership between them. :thumbsup:

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wondo played some of his best soccer next to Donovan. High energy work rate guys allow him to find more space in the attack. If Quincy picks out his passing options more often, the Quakes will rip a few teams apart.

18. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this last year after we won 2 staight after the Seattle/Levi's game, and we know how that turned out. Well, superstitions be damned, I'm posting it again. Playoffs or bust!

nihon2000 and SJTillIDie repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

SJTillIDie repped this.
  20. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Double Pivot 4-4-2 looking good, especially with great CMs like Godoy and Alashe in the middle. Hopefully we can get consistent dynamic play from our wingers, as they are key to the attack. Quincy and Wondo's high work rate is great for high press/counters as well. Kinnear will keep them discipline which is key for this system. Looking at next year: Innocent at RM will be a huge upgrade (Cato as a super sub). Might have to look to sell MPG to free up cap space and bring in a quality 2-way left-back. This team can be lethal if consistent.

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think too many people overreacted to the month of July. It was played almost entirely on the road against teams that are, in terms of quality, in the top half of the league, and all without Wondo. Losses pile on one another, players get down. It happens.

We finish the season with some good teams, some not some good teams, and a lot of home games. Because of the unbalanced schedule we will probably end with the toughest strength of schedule in the league, so playoffs arent really garunteed, but we have already eclipsed our point total from last year, and I think we have an opportunity to lay down a good foundation for next year.

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Where is Honore de balsac?

23. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny Failharder.

davez repped this.
  24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd move Cato to LB, and Innocent should be at LM starting over Salinas. MPG is fine and should be starting at RM if he was healthy. But it is evident how much his going to the ground really slows up the game and with it, chances. I wouldn't mind an improvement over him next season, but again I don't know who would give us as much money for him to transfer.

25. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im also wondering if MPG is a fit for the system we saw last night. It seems that Quincy can be an effective player maker and also has the speed to partake in counter attacks with the wingers.

Putting MPG on the wing means we lose speed which seems like a crucial element in this system.

Then again, maybe MPG and Godoy would put on a show in the center of the midfield.