Post-match: Sporting Kansas City - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 8/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 19, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Letch was the one who technically directed last nights win, he deserves a medal!

Let's hope it continues....:thumbsup:

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Wondo as midfielder = ZERO GOALS

Wondo as forward = TWO GOALS

Get the picture yet Dom?

3. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just had to stop by and double check that what I watched last night was real......thought it might of been a dream...

QuakeAttack repped this.
  4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the fact that he's been playing through injury has a lot to do with this, to be honest. In some regards, it's a reinforcement that the two defensive midfield scheme is a good one. It's not my favorite, but it used properly, as it was against Kansas City, it can free up your offensive players to play offense. That being said, Perez Garcia had good games early in the season when the Quakes employed the same high defending method, so at this point, I'm leaning toward the injury being the biggest factor in Perez Garcia's inability to influence the game in an overly positive way. I still suspect he won't be with the team next year, which I hope I'm wrong about.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO: Ha ha ha! I missed it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OK, I recorded it, but I won't get to watch it until tomorrow night.

Did we really play a 4-4-2?! With an actual diamond midfield?! I need to at least watch the highlights.

GO QUAKES!!
    Fire Doyle!!

- Mark

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jahn almost got a goal. Had he played a bit longer, who knows?

don gagliardi repped this.
  7. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Diamond midfield - That would have been too much to hope for. No it was empty bucket - but effective with Godoy and Alashe both making runs up field at opportune times. It was one of those weird games where EVERYTHING came off just as it did the 6v4 practice earlier in the week.

DotMPP repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not an expected result, but this is not the first time the Quakes have played well this season, it's just been a long time. They did it early against Seattle, they did it at home to Columbus. I think not playing injured players, actually studying the opponent, as you mentioned, and yes, playing a tired team made it a better game than we're likely to see the rest of the season. I do not put it in total fluke category, though.

What I'm hoping is that we are witnessing the patented late season run that Kinnear's teams seem to be blessed/cursed with.

FUAEG repped this.
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And he almost got a card too. That's the thing about Adam, will he score or will he be cautioned (or both, but usually the latter).

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They did it the first 30 minutes in L.A., too.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. chispa

chispa Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Of course they had to run up the score against KC if they could . Just their last game against Vancouver they came back from being down 3-1 in the 80th minute to winning 4-3, with 1 of those goals in stoppage time. I'm glad SJ didn't just sit back and try to defend the whole second half of the game after going up 3-0 in the first.

bsman repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw him at the end of the game but I didn't notice him much. Too bad he could have had his second...

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it as I was busy last night and couldn't watch...

And you're right. I don't believe it. Someone made a typo right?

14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I was not feeling comfortable at 2-0, especially given what happened in LA, and especially after all the blown chances in the first half. After they got to 3 I really wanted them to hold KC to 0 until half, then I started to feel pretty good about the game.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This may not belong in this thread, because it's more about the FO, but I'm throwing it in here anyway.

I wanted to know if I could bring my small but decent Olympus into the stadium because their rules only allow fixed-lenses cameras. Someone on the KC board gave me a link to an FO person, and I emailed him, figuring I would not hear back because it's game day. (Much as I love our reps, typically I'd receive the standard "I'm busy preparing for tonight" response). The guy got back to me immediately, said it would be ok, copied the head of security. Wow! So we arrived at the stadium and the screener looked at my small but decent Olympus and said "ummm, I don't know if that's allowed." I explained about the emails and she asked "what's your name?" I told her, and they were all like, oh, yes, we heard about you, welcomed us to the stadium and waved us in.

I think our FO is doing a better job in making fans feel more like guests when we walk in the gate, less like probable terrorists, but I was very impressed with their level of responsiveness.

Beerking repped this.
  16. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alexiskool1991, nfiniti and bsman repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    evade6317 repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    nfiniti and evade6317 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had that speed all along. The real difference has to be Godoy, who allowed that speed to move forward in a concerted effort. Before, we just had speed on one side of the field at a time. This game, they moved together. Try to watch the replay, it is almost like watching Japan WNT.

I was shocked to see how just one guy could impact how a team plays.

DotMPP, alexiskool1991 and QuietType repped this.
  20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conan O'Brian said that? :D

(I know u meant Arnie)

Edit: oops, I just scrolled backwards and saw that I was beat to the punch...

JohnWP repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not just one thing but I think speed on the outside combined with a 4-3-3 narrow KC that had heavy legs, and yes Godoy's presence helped a lot as well.

The game actually reminded me more of Germany / Brazil World Cup match. Just total domination by the visiting team, a shocked crowd, children crying, etc. Their passing and touch was not bad but nowhere as good as Japan WNT.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not to mention the team played with new-found confidence derived from their win at home against Colorado.

23. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the two games yesterday, he had the highest passing percentage.

nfiniti repped this.
  24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As in: we barely beat a crap team at home?

It's warm again, we were so lucky with the weather. Tuesday night there was a thunderstorm and they might not have played.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  25. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Salinas will wish to play against the Chance Myers from last night every week. More Chances.