Post-match: Sporting Kansas City - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 8/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 19, 2015.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 QuietType, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    So I just rewatched the "condensed" game on MLS Live. I was looking specifically for what was so successful in this game. A few big things stood out:
    1. The first 25 minutes had more highlights than most entire games this season. The guys were playing incredibly confident.
    2. Amarikwa is freaking killing it. I know he is a midseason acquisition, and he didn't score tonight, but seriously, my vote for MVP. It's his to lose. He has the spark, the hold up play, the speed, technical ability we have been lacking in the attack. The biggest thing he does is make runs. He makes a pass and is immediately running into open space and beating defenders before it reaches his teammates foot. He looks hungry out there and like he wants to save this team's season. Please do so, Quincy.
    3. Cato looks good making runs into the box and finishing. Dribbling in and taking shots or passing, not so much. I want to see him moved to LB and MPG or TT at the LM. Acronyms....
    4. Godoy looks like the real deal. I hope he is. I actually liked the Godoy-Alashe pairing in the center.
    5. Wondo up top. Wondo stretches defenses. Wondo and teammates score. It's pretty freaking simple. Look at the goals and where Wondo is. Wondo up top with Quincy was the major reason why we bossed this game.
    6. Bingham is playing well. He's getting into the groove of MLS now, and it's starting to show.

KC certainly helped us out by not showing up. But we looked damn good. I hope the guys take this and build on it.

soccerbone repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The weird thing about this stadium is that it's miles away from anything. You drive for miles and miles past rolling verdant meadows and suddenly there's an oasis of activity that includes a racetrack, the stadium, a huge outlet mall, several hotels, and restaurants. But somehow the people who designed the stadium forgot about parking, so most of the parking is quite a distance away and they have shuttle buses to get people to/from the stadium. It's kind of bizarre.

One obvious tactic the Earthquakes haven't tried in many years is using the scoreboards to prompt the fans to cheer. The SKC boards would show the words for chants and people would follow along, and also wave their arms together (this subsided significantly after our second goal). Maybe San Jose fans are too cool for this?

Turns out we had a fourth fan -- Wondo's aunt, who is also traveling to DC to watch the team there. And there was another guy in a Quakes jersey, but he was on business in KC (from New Orleans) and has a friend associated with the team so decided to come and root for us. Anyway, I cheered as loudly as I could, and as our seats were just behind the team and right over the player tunnel, they knew they had supporters!

bigdumbgod, Beerking, evade6317 and 2 others repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've seen the whole game on DVR, this is what I saw as the differences in today's team:
    1. Godoy is huge, his work rate keeps positioning intact in the middle so that players are playing in support of one another. He is also hard to knock off the ball, much better at that than MPG, who goes down to draw a foul. Whereas Godoy fights off the opponent and makes a good pass.
    2. There were very few back passes. The whole team was trying to advance the ball. And in a lot of the attempts on goal, there were 2-3 players running in, not just the goal scorer.
    3. Quincy's constant badgering of defenders is also key, plus he had some great passes.
    4. Having Godoy and Alashe working together in the middle, with them and Cordell running crisis-cross gave the SKC midfield and back line too much to handle.
    Like everyone else said, who is this team, and what did they do with our Quakes? Be great if this version sticks around.

TyffaneeSue, evade6317 and QuietType repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is why chance creation matters. The Quakes missed a half dozen opportunities. The score could have been something like 12-1. Which means KC basically missed one good chance. In most games over the last two seasons that is the Quakes, just a handful of shots, a couple on target. Pretty much last in the league or close to it, in terms of chances created. And we don't concede too many goals for the most part so the one missed chance for us usually stands out. So many times last year Watson pointed to one missed shot being the difference when the team lost by one goal... but was outshot like 15-2. When you create a dozen good chances and put away five, you don't really have to worry about the half dozen that were blown. Not many people complaining about Wondo missing that sitter in this thread...

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Wondo could figure out why he is missing all these sitters, and stop doing it...

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5. Everyone playing in support of each other allowed more compact <10 yd passing, especially on the ground.​

hc897 and evade6317 repped this.
  7. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I love the Spanish soccer term "llegada". It translates to "arrival" and succinctly describes a teams ability to arrive at the opponents goal and create chances. For the first time all season, the Quakes "tiene llegada"

nfiniti, cpwilson80, evade6317 and 2 others repped this.
  8. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the repaly will be on again at 4am on Comcast SportsNet, if anyone is interested.

9. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The home team is having a good season and in fact is undefeated at home after a dozen games.

The visiting team is struggling and hasn't beaten the home team on their turf in over a decade.

Visiting team wins 5-nil. This is soccer. This is why you watch soccer. This is why you love soccer.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 xbhaskarx, Aug 20, 2015
    It's not so much soccer in general as it is MLS. The parity in MLS is just ridiculous at this point... I don't think there has ever been a season like this before.

7 teams between 1.56 and 1.74 points: KC, NYRB, DC, Vancouver, LA, Dallas, Portland
    7 teams between 1.29 and 1.4 points: Seattle, Columbus, New England, Toronto, San Jose, Montreal, Houston
    6 teams between .96 and 1.16 points: RSL, NYC, Orlando, Colorado, Chicago, Philly

That bottom tier has RSL, who have been one of the 2-3 best teams in the league over the last half decade, and two expansion teams that are top three in average attendance and willing to spend lots of money... only Colorado, Chicago, and Philly seem like hopeless cases (and all three have fan protests / boycotts going on at the moment).

EastBayGrease repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #61 JazzyJ, Aug 20, 2015
    Please, folks, pushing Wondo a little bit more forward was not really what made this happen. The Quakes just killed KC with their speed - Salinas, Quincy, Cato, Wynne, as well as Godoy and Alashe to a lesser extent, and KC was just really, really flat. It was such a strange game, like KC just didn't show up, and it soon became like a mausoleum in the stadium, and all you could hear was Dom shouting instructions to his players, and ball going "dink" off the bottom posts in the KC net, and then some Quakes players shouting in celebration.

At the end of the game, KC, down 5-0, in the ultimate act of humiliation, was defending with their whole team in the own half! That's incredible - the team that has made its name on high pressure, down 5 goals, and just playing back to avoid the embarrassment of giving up even more goals.

I noticed Vermes and Dom having a bit of a heated discussion towards the end, and Dom just kind of turned away with a bemused / smug expression. I'm sure he was really enjoying this one. Wonder if Vermes didn't like the Quakes "running up the score"? He's got to realize that goal differential can be a factor in playoff selection.

TyffaneeSue, spejic and davez repped this.
  12. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    It was only two years ago, the Quakes missed the playoffs on goal differential...

Oh_Teddy_Teddy repped this.
  13. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a season where they gave up a 2 goal lead to Montreal which cost 2 points...

You have to play the full 90 minutes, nobody can complain about final scores in a pro league regular season. But if the Quakes really wanted to overdo it, they could have pressed harder once KC was down to 10 men. But I doubt Vermes would have complained to Dom about that to be honest. He was pretty frank in postgame interview and gave Quakes props for being much better on the night.

14. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just saw the game...fantastic win. Great to see what we all wanted, two forwards...it wouldn't have been possible if we didn't have Godoy and Alashe in the middle.

Godoy's signing is the key to the whole midfield. We couldn't play a two man central mid with a Dmid and MPG...way too weak. So we couldn't play a sound 4-4-2 prior to Godoy's arrival. Unfortunately with Alashe out against Colorado , we didn't get to see both of them together. My gut feeling was it was going to be solid and allow Dom a lot of flexibility with Wondo and MPG, but the Alashe/Godoy pairing in the middle exceeded my expectations. Defensively it was fantastic and Godoy's distribution and savvy up field was great to see. It was so good that I don't want to see MPG primarily in the middle. I'd rather see him as a tucked in Rmid...a creator cutting into the middle from the outside.

Granted we caught KC a bit washed out and took advantage of their narrow 4-3-3, but our central midfield play is seriously legit...and quite a big deal.

Quincy played his ass off, causing Lenny level havoc up top..maybe even more due to his speed.. looks great with Wondo under him.

The boys are playing with a sense of purpose...Dom has most of the pieces he needs in place now....we're going give teams trouble...no way I'm backing away from us making the playoffs.

15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One thing I like about Alashe that I like over MPG is he uses both feet and make nicely weighted balls on the ground. MPG tends to be li
    Seemed he was arguing with Dom. You could hear him on camera saying, I believe "seriously?" Over and over. And Dom just shrugged him off.

16. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Godoy was the difference, and it's been years since we saw the Quakes playing such composed soccer. Quincy not only played out of his mind as he has every game, he was constantly coming over to talk to Dom (who never seemed to be enjoying the huge edge). It wasn't until pelosi came on that we started seeing our more typical, tentative, backpassing play.

It was funny to watch/listen to the fans around me go through various stages first of disbelief ("they're almost in last place!"), then rationalization, and finally disgust. I was surprised how many people left, starting fairly early in the game. Waiting in line for the shuttle to the parking area, people weren't even talking about the game.

The stadium is pretty incredible, compact but almost luxurious, except for the sg end. Our seats were vibrating pregame with the noise. Something that should happen at all Earthquakes games!

19. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    As I watched the condensed match, particularly with crowd shots, I could not help but recall Conan's wise words about the best in life: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentations of their women.

ColinMcCarthy and Earthshaker repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

JohnWP repped this.
  21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Pretty much sums up our feelings in KC -- congrats on the win.

DotMPP, NedZ, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  22. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the awareness and patience of guys picking out that pass made the difference - danger zone passing at its finest.

Fantastic result.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Generally those passes were not very hard though because guys were wide open. On the first one Salinas went to the end line and easily rounded the corner while Cato was wide open pointing at his feet. It was just so oddly easy, like twilight zone soccer where your opponent is only half playing and everything that had been hard is now suddenly ridiculously easy.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Average age of last nights starters:

27.72 years!

Bingham (age 25)

Goodson (age 33)

Bernardez (age 33)

Francis (age 28)

Wynne (age 29)

Godoy (age 25)

Alashe (age 21)

Salinas (age 29)

Cato (age 23)

Amarikwa (age 27)

Wondo (age 32)

evade6317 repped this.
  25. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two wins on the trot for our new Technical Director! ;)

evade6317 and cpwilson80 repped this.