Sporting Kansas City in the Media

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by hipityhop, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sporting Kansas City in the Media: 2011

a 14 game unbeaten streak and we still hardly get any mention on the MLS site...

well, at least LA's is over, so if we can get a point or more this weekend, we at least have it on them...

anyone else with the "league hates us" paranoia still?

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Eh, I think it's just them playing to their biggest audiences. In all sports we just don't garner the national attention like the coasts do. Tamba Hali just signed the 2nd largest contract in the NFL at his position and some national media hardly know who he is. It just comes from being KC.

Not sure if anyone caught it today but Vermes had a nice 20+ minute conversation with Keitzman today. Some highlights:
    1) Talked about the growth of soccer and the developmental tools in the US. When Vermes moved here he put his kids in soccer and today we are far beyond where we were in 2000. Early signs of this are Besler and Sinovic with others coming because they get to train near and with the senior side.
    2) When asked who is leading the charge for our success on the field Vermes specifically mentioned Jimmy, Davy and Collin. Then went on to list quite a few of the young guys who have stepped up. Have to feel like Davy was only mentioned because he is the captain.
    3) Talked a lot about "belief" in that the team knew after the road trip that they could still climb the table. And that there is pressure with so many home games to perform AND entertain, this in response to being asked if the long home stand helped gain momentum.
    4) Talked about the national team and Vermes didn't sound overly supportive of Klinsmann. Said he wants us to go well obviously, but also sounded like he would prefer an American.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I've bought one (okay, two) guitar-picks and exchanged them for the burger and chips prior to each game. I think that the NE game was the first time that they took them away from the grill area and put them off to the side. I lucked-out against NE, because they just put a fresh batch out where the picks are now redeemed. I was not so fortunate last night. My 2 burgers were dry and barely warm. I won't be doing the $2.50 option again. Nice while it lasted, though.

4. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007

Thanks....noted and will try to fix

5. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've really enjoyed his talks with Keitzman. Keitzman lacks a bit of soccer knowledge, but he always comes off as enthusiastic and that he wants to learn (at least when I've listened as of late). Always good to hear someone on local sports radio talk very positively about the team (he had some very good things to say about SKC). I remember he said something along the lines of SKC being the best team in town or best sports experience, something like that. Basically encouraging people to go instead of whining for literally 15 minutes about the smoking ban (who could that be).

I texted them about it, but in Jurgen's defense, he's lived in the U.S. since the late 90s when he retired, is married to an American, and his kids have been raised here (with the exception of his brief spell with Bayern Munich). I mean, it was a criticism that he would commute from the U.S. when he coached Germany. So, I guess, at the very least, its not a guy who's never lived here and doesn't have a lot of contact with Americans. Jurgen has been living around them for years. So theres that, I suppose.

6. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All Keitzman has to do is Google Jurgen and he knows this. You'd think a guy who runs a drive time call-in show might be curious enough to do 15 seconds of research about a national team coach. But no.

Today on "Stump the Chumps," Soren and the guys were a little miffed that a guy called in and asked them what club Jurgen last coached. They could have just blurted out German city names and possibly got it right. But I doubt they know any (maybe Berlin), so they bitched and moaned. Obviously, they didn't get the question right, so their question back to the caller was really difficult. All any of those guys had to do was watch Sportscenter in the last week and they would have gotten that right.

Do let them bullshit you. They don't care about soccer. 810 claims to be "The Largest Sports Station in the Country." Which is incorrect. They are "The Largest Football/Baseball Station in the Country."

7. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You forgot about their obsession with MU/KU and K-State on occasion. It's borderline psychotic.

8. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya, they pretty much concentrate on three sports at a time. Just swap around baseball, football, college basketball and golf.

They ignore the NBA, NHL, and MLS. And I get that we don't have an NHL or NBA team here in town so that's why they don't really talk about those leagues. But we do have an MLS team. They could bone up on the basics at least.

My biggest issue is that they will talk about a MNF match-up not involving the Chiefs for 30 minutes. Which is fine. We have the Chiefs, they all play in the same league, it's relevant. But they could also talk about a large game coming up in MLS too. They don't know anything about soccer or the league. They should probably learn.

9. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or let Jake or someone else who knows/loves the game step up and talk about it. I wouldn't mind to get some fresh blood in there to liven things up. The room full of 35+ year old guys BSing about their glory days and only about the sports they like has got to end at some point, why not now?

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnyDUJMw6xg&feature=related"]‪How much You wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

11. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure about how much they care, but they do have PV and player on often which is great for SKC. Border Patrol in the AM talks often about SKC... As most know both Jake and Nate are big fans...

12. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yup, the amount of coverage in all time slots is up.

13. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm well aware of local sports radio's long long history of not giving a shit about the team, but basically all I was saying was that someone WAS in fact saying some nice things about the team for once on talk radio at great length. He asks Peter good question and how he talks and responds, you can tell he actually catches some games at the very least. A script can only carry you so far when you're saying something in response to something PV said. I mean, I can understand the cynicism, because as I was inferring to, Nick Wright spent straight up 15 minutes whining about the smoking ban when the Livestrong sponsorship was announced. Here the team does something new and interesting and instead he blasts them for the smoking ban (it was really more so his sidekick or whatever. CLAIMING that he WAS going to go to a game, BUT NOT ANYMORE. SKC committed a cardinal sin, as Nick's crony made it out to be).

Despite history, Keitzman, in his multiple interviews with PV, asks good questions that aren't exceedingly generic. Actually talks about specific points in games. He gets into the conversation and has things to say outside of the questions. After the interview, he talked for another good few minutes before the break about SKC and said some very nice things about the team.

Don't get me wrong, almost every sports radio guy in KC doesn't give two shits about our beloved team, but I'm actually going to defend Keitzman here because I really do enjoy his talks with PV. And unlike everything else I hear (when they actually do talk about us) on sports radio, he said some very good things about the team that actually come off as genuine. He got pretty enthusiastic there talking about our turn around.

I dunno, history is history, and I guess its just nice to actually hear a decent (and not negative) conversation about the team on sports radio thats not on a soccer specific show.

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Have you not heard Keitz get into "Soccer isn't even a real sport because they do not use hands?" :D He is thee least genuine I believe, but I also think he realizes that PV and Heinemann are good to interview, after he bitched about SKC on the air for a solid 20 and Robb called him up unprompted.

15. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh for sure. Like I said, there is that history and its pretty grievous. But in these last few instances, I will give credit where credit is due and he's given some good interviews. And I think it seems that he actually pulled his head out of his ass (at least partly) and watched some games. Even if he's bullshitting a lot of it, its still very good PR for the team versus what he and others have said before.

Yeah, I think he was actually pretty impressed that Robb actually called in. Another reason why i love our FO. I didn't get to hear it, but from what I heard, it totally caught him off guard. I've always thought that if I was an athlete or an owner and someone was talking shit about either me or my team (or both), I would totally call in.

I don't think he's ever going to admit being a complete ass and saying that dumb shit, but at least he's saying some positive things now and I will give him credit for that. I'm going to encourage these guys to continue saying nice things beyond the typical, "they all dive!" (while ignoring people such as, ohhhhh say Kevin Garnet).

Also

:)

16. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess that I should have stated that I hang out with a few guys who used to work for 810. Anyway, I know what is said about soccer around the water cooler. I guess it gets to me more that I know it's all a front when they're on the air. Sure, PV and players have been on more, but that's the only time they discuss the team. They couldn't be troubled to just strike up a convo on the air and just talk casually like they do with golf and baseball. The only time they're troubled with paying any attention is when a guest is coming on the show.

I know this is completely nitpicky, but since I think those guys are full of shit, it bugs me more.

17. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

It's pretty obvious that Kietzman really doesn't like the sport and is just kissing up to Robb Heineman to get him on the show more often. Robb is good radio.

Petro puts slightly more effort into his interviews, but he's no fan. He basically fakes his way through PV's calls by just tossing him cliched questions that would apply to any sport. He has no insight at all into the game, and not much interest as far as I can tell.

Bukaty and Gutierrez are the only ones on 810 who show a genuine interest in the team and the sport. I think the rest of them are secretly hoping that it just goes away so they don't have to learn something new.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

First, I'll state that the only radio personality I like in KC is Nick Wright. I don't particularly care for Keitzman, not that I dislike him just don't like his style. The BBQ/cooking and NASCAR hour each week that fall when I'm in the car don't help his stock with me either.

That said, the interviews with PV have been good. Some of the questions he asked this past week about soccer development and growth don't come from someone who just googled a few things. He had knowledge and asked good questions. Give credit where credit is due.

The debate about whether the choice to cover soccer is a "front" is silly. Talk radio is a business. As with any business you change your service to meet your customer's needs to maximize profits. Soccer fans in typical "they all hate us and our sport" fashion complain about the infatuation with their coverage of local colleges or that they only really cover football and baseball. The reality is that a vast majority of their listeners only care about the Chiefs and Royals, then which ever college they follow locally. Like it or not that is what gets them listeners and ratings, which is all they really care about. We could have the best cricket team (just picking some random small sport) in American here in KC but no one would talk about it because the public wouldn't care. Football, baseball, college football/basketball...........others (NBA, NHL, soccer) are a distant 4th on the list of interests with the listeners.

Sporting is becoming more relevant to the public, slowly. But I think it's unrealistic for fans to expect much more than we get. For every one of us there are, I'm guessing, 50 people listening that want in depth Chiefs coverage when they turn on the radio. And while we flock to the segments involving Sporting I would guess more people change to the opposite station to see if they are talking Chiefs when Sporting coverage comes on.

19. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Agreed. Robb probably recognizes what is going on too, but the ticket telephone number and team website gets a mention.

20. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From what I'm inferring from his Twitter, sounds like Kevin Ellis lost his mom today. He mentioned praying for her yesterday and then today

@Kev_Ellis14: The world lost a great woman today !! Can't believe she's gone feels like my world is over ! Christina Marie Ellis 12/18/63 -- 8/6/11 LOVE

21. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I often wish Mark Cuban would decide to buy the Royals. He'd have KK for a drive-time snack every single day.

22. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Abso F****** lutely.

Kietz just doesnt like the sport, period. He's admitted multiple times he "doesnt know it." He's been openly antagonistic against soccer On Air for years. For 810s part, I specifically recall morning conversation of soccer during the '06 WC as just a punchline. It was childish dribble, and was literally the "ugly American" coming through the airwaves.

Recent inroads into local radio are attributable to the team having some success; the stadium; and Robb being, well... Robb; NOT some internal revelation by Kietzman (or 810, sans Jake). When Grant Wahl writes SI stories about whats going on in Kietzman's back yard, he be-grudgingly must follow suit.

[Sigh, 'soccer again, didnt we do that last week' comes through loud and clear.]

23. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Wow just saw this. That's perspective. Poor kid.

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Maybe you guys listen to sports talk more than me, but I just don't agree. I have a 1 hour drive each day and listen from roughly 6:30 - 7:30 am and 4:00 - 5:00 pm. My take on each station during each segment:
    610 AM - Fesco doesn't bash soccer but doesn't talk much about it either. This time slot has few guests except George Brett on Tuesdays at 7am. The always mention US and SKC results and recently there's been small talk about their success.

810 AM - St. John is simply a child with a radio show, so a lot of this show falls apart and gets off topic. He doesn't care for soccer but doesn't bash it either, although his silliness if it happens during soccer talk could come across poorly to a soccer fan. Jake and Nate like soccer and during the 7-725am Border Report they always talk about anything related to soccer. This 25 minutes is a bullet point presentation of the world of sports and entertainment though, so there isn't much detail and I find that Jake/Nate often are a bit off on their facts. They always mention upcoming games and talk about results for a day or two after.

810 Lunch Petro - I catch 20 minutes or so a couple times a week and never hear him talking soccer. I caught him once with Zavagnin on air though and the interview was standard but Petro knew what he was talking about.

610 Afternoon - Nick Wright doesn't like soccer but again I never catch him openly bashing it other than maybe a small joke. Not a huge deal to me. He talked up the team around the opener and had some guests, did the same around the US game. I've heard interviews with Davy and Jimmy this year and both were decent with just standard questions. Nick did bring up the Puma Pints with Jimmy that gave Jimmy a great chance to thank the fans and talk about how important we are. I heard him mention last week about Klinsman but went one to Chiefs talk. Nick really is about Chiefs, Chiefs, then Royals. He makes his living being the guy that scoops Chiefs stories in KC.

810 Afternoon - I don't like Keitzman and yet I don't see how people think he openly hates soccer. KK is a very blunt and honest person, to a fault. He will state the truth: that soccer simply isn't popular in the US compared to 1) the rest of the world and 2) other sports like football and baseball. But like him or not you can tell he knows his stuff when he has soccer people on. I've heard interviews with Robb, PV, KZ and players. Every time his questions are relevant and often deeper than I hear from any other radio personality in town.

In the end I think if you take a negative beginning point of view then you'll see the worst of it all. If you understand the correct place of soccer in the sports landscape in the US I think you'd find yourself pleased with much of the coverage.

25. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to admit, I don't listen to the Border Patrol very often. I'm more into music on my drive into work every morning. I'm pretty sure Bukaty played soccer in high school, so I'm sure his genuinely enjoys it. Not everyone on the radio thinks soccer is silly, just some of the larger voices.

I may not have been too clear above, as I was drunk and tired when I posted, but the enthusiasm they show when a soccer guest is on is a front. I always hate when KK asks PV a question that would have taken a little research. Fully aware that an intern probably wrote the questions for him. When they segment is over and they go to break, I'm sure he is thinking, "Good, I don't have to talk about soccer for another week."

I don't listen as much as I used to, but I still get in a couple hours a day. Not to far in the distant past, those guys would all snicker any time something soccer related was mentioned. They are in the camp that fully believes soccer is something 10-year old girls play.

Soren used to do the stadium announcing for the Wizards back in '96, but beyond that he doesn't really pay attention to the sport. Which is too bad because if he just put half the effort in statistic gathering for the MLS that he does for NFL and MLB, he would have a lot of really compelling insight. But, most of his statistic research is done because he's an avid sports gambler. However, he can explain he offside rule, which most others probably couldn't.

I don't listen to Nick Wright too often. Not because I don't think he's good, but because his voice annoys the crap out of me. Along with his "Jim Rome style" pregnant pauses.

KK doesn't hate soccer, I don't think. He just thinks it's silly. Which might be worse. You can tell when he thinks a sport is silly when he tries to think of ways to change it to appeal to him and his Bud Light drinkin' buddies. Him and the Racin' Boys go on and on about the rules, and you can tell the RBs get annoyed. Nothing worse than someone who half pays attention to your sport then demands you change some giant rule about it.

I don't like NASCAR. Doesn't appeal to me. But I definitely see why others love it. I feel like NASCAR and soccer fans are kind of in the same boat when it comes to opinions from other, outside sports fans. In fact, NASCAR fans probably get made fun of more than any other group of fans.

But if I had a daily sports talk show in this town, I would research, watch and discuss NASCAR. With passion. Because we have a track, we get two races a year, people here want to talk about it. I would never, for one second, make the listeners of my show feel that a sport they love is silly and pointless. KK does this several times a week.