Sporting CP Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Oct 31, 2018.

1. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Is Mihajlovic available

nelly29 and SCP_16 repped this.
  2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good lord...

Nothing against Keizer, seemed like a nice guy, but he was clueless and his recent statements seemed clear that there was little communication.

Now we have to find a coach who had no say in the squad building. Seems like a lot of poor planning here. Varandas has to get this one right - a coach that can get the most out of players but also communicate effectively - or we might be having elections sooner rather than later (again)

3. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Pontes is terrible lol

No real obvious choices on the market eh. Why wait til now to fire him too..

In Keizer's credit he really brought the best out of BF in a way that no one else has. Just seemed mentally weak, he'd probably be a very good assistant manager.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I wouldnt mind inviting him back if we open the B team again but I doubt he wants that. He did great at Ajax B (De Ligt, De Jong, etc)

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1.) Your claim that Pontes is terrible. That is that claim based on? Can't be as terrible as Keizer

2.) You wait until now to make the move because we are on an international break. Besides, might as well do it now before this horrendous excuse of a head coach drags us deeper down the table.

3.) How did Keizer "bring out the best in BF"? BF is a great player. He was great with JJ too. He will be great after Keizer.

6. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Jose Mourinho? :laugh:

SCP21 repped this.
  7. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    1. Every single one of his previous experiences. He has been objectively terrible. He'll be lucky to be as terrible as Sportings most successful coach in a couple of decades.

2. My point was you might as well fire him before pre-season. Pre-season essential is starting now for Sporting. This isn't what should happen at a professional club.

3. There's a clear qualitative jump that BF took when Keizer took over. Again, this is objective. I never said BF wasn't a great player, he clearly is. All I said was that BF was much better under Keizer than he was under any of his previous coaches, including JJ.

Why are you so intent on hating this guy? He's been Sporting's most successful coach of the last 17 years and he didn't even have a full year or even a shred of support. Why shit on him?

natenate101 repped this.
  8. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

1.) Fair enough. Saw that he was atrocious at Debrecen.

2.) Agree with that, however, firing someone in pre-season based on results of pre-season games seems a bit premature.Everyone knows pre-season is an outlier for nothing.

3.) Yea that's completely subjective and may have more to do with BF than Keizer. We can also say that the entire defense regressed with Keizer, as well as the wing play. You can say Dost became a shell of his former self when Keizer became coach.

It's not that I hated him. I wanted it to work out, but watching how terrible he was every week started to drag on. Dude gets a 1 goal lead, then bunkers and tried to defend that lead. This is the Portuguese league, where every ref is paid for by Benfica and hates SCP. Any chance they get to screw us, they're going to take it.

Plus, as we've all seen that in Portugal, you gotta keep attacking and scoring goals. Apparently, Keizer didn't understand that. Even after getting smacked by Benfica 5-0.

He would wait until the last 5 minutes of the game to make the necessary tactical adjustments, and often times, never used any of his subs.

He had no idea how to deploy wingers.

He wasted Dost, but still kept starting him when he didn't fit his style.

Worst of all, he wouldn't admit that the refs completely screwed us against Rio Ave, but instead, blamed his team, when he was the one who decided to sub on Borja to defend a slim lead instead of scoring a 3rd to put the game away.

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Talking about replacements. If we're going to go with a non-portuguese coach, we should go with someone with a wealth of experience and a history of winning. Spanish media says we're looking at Eusebio Sebastian. To me thats just more of the same. If we go outside of Portugal we need a Blanc, an Allegri, a Spaletti.

Otherwise go with a Portuguese option. Pedro Martins doing well at Olympiakos. Just not JJ.

10. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    My dilemma with those options is what's the point of spending millions on a coach but only give him aggressively average players to work with?

Wouldn't mind giving a shot to whoever Portugals u-19 coach is.. he seems to have been doing a decent job.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Varandas had an interview today to discuss the clubs status right now and the decision to let Keizer go.

- He thanked him for coming in november 2018 at a time when no coach wanted to come to SCP after what happened
    - He said the 2 trophies won last year were fantastic, and when asked Why not let him go last season instead of now, he said "who in their right mind would fire a coach who just won 2 trophies?"
    - He said the supercup 5-0 loss to our rival affected the coach and the confidence was disappearing, as shown in the subsequent performances.

12. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Sporting pushing hard to get Abel. Apparently PAOK declined our first offer for him.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We can continue the coaching discussion here.

Record and O Jogo both saying that Silas will be our next coach.

They also say that Varandas approached Mourinho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lol. This will end well.

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    At least he's a sportinguista. Cause thats a qualification for a job.

Varandas better hope it works out.

16. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    What happened to him? Did he get sacked by Belenenses in the summer? I'm curious because they finished 9th last year which is good by their standards.

17. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Doesnt even have his full coaching qualifications lol

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Considering the turmoil that Belenenses is as a club, 9th was pretty good, even with them he played positive attacking football, but I remember for example we killed them like 8-1.

He got sacked after a few games similar to Keizer after a poor run of results.

I'm thinking he's Keizer 2.0 - wants to play out of the back and possession football, but will leave gaps in defense.

True - but neither does Bruno Lage. Not that he'll have the same effect.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    A Bola and O Jogo saying negotiations were concluded today and he should be presented tomorrow as the new manager. There's a game today so I doubt we'll hear an official announcement. Rumour is 1.5 year contract.

All the best of luck to him - I've been reading about him, seems like a genuine guy, came from a poor background so knows what hardship is like. The players have looked totally demotivated, at least if he can push them to play 100% motivated it's a step in the right direction.

20. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    God help him.....He will need it :(

21. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Not too confident in him to be honest. I'm expecting for us to get another coach in the summer. I hope he proves me wrong but the pressure here is a lot worse than any club he's managed. So good luck lol

22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  23. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because SCP is and will continue to be the most hated team in Portugal, solely because they rival SLB. Nothing new. But if this was a rhetorical question, I agree 100%