Sporting C.P. x Manchester United F.C. - UEFA Champions League: Matchday 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by JuveleoRules, Sep 6, 2007.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh, and deivid scored a crazy goal for fenerbache against inter. :( wish we still had him

2. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Only in Turkey he pulls the shit out. ;)

3. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Miguel Veloso is superb, damn.

Djalo and Liedson are midgits nd bullied around easily, Derlei would have been perfect for this match.

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    exactly. they are too small and skinny. derlei would've been better. also, ael keeps attacking too much on the flank and hes gonna get caught and we'llbe punished for it. veloso is flawless wow:eek:

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1-0 ronaldo. ok so now we have to find someone whos not a peic eof shit like abel. agreed?

6. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    More so Tonel being no where.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    also funny to note the poor choice for starting. Yannick and liedson? what about purovic? did they really think they'd score with yannick there? what has he done in the past year? nothing.

8. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    It would be absolutley stupid to start Puro against physical defenders that are Rio and Vidic. Djalo was the smarter choice even if he didn't do much.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    rio is not playing and if ur watching the game, yannick blew a good chance too. so all in all, yannick is completely useless

10. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Rio Fern. is not playing for Man Utd? Are you watching the game or not?

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    this ref sucks, what pie ce o f shiiiiiiiiit he was.

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ur right. my bad.

13. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    For us to outplay Man Utd in the first half, it sure went to hell for most of the second half. ********ing hell. Most of our shots on goal was soft, it became practice for Van De Sar. Should of done whole lot better, goal, point, whatever.

The shit within the first 15 minutes was pathetic, thank god the ref stopped it with a yellow.

14. SirWayneRooney

SirWayneRooney New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Well played Sporting. Class gesture to give Ronny(OURS!) an ovation. :)

15. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, the CL campaign has started on the wrong foot. 0-1 to United. I don't think that Sporting played that bad, or that Manchester United were much better. Sporting started off really great and then sort of tapered off some. Djalo was absolutely horrible up front, and Vukcevic off the bench really didn't do much. There was midfield cohesiveness and great ball control, but very little on the creative side today. Polga had a strong game as did Veloso - the guy is a monster.

Props to Cristiano Ronaldo. He scores a goal and did not celebrate it. That was probably the loudest ovation that I have seen from a Sporting crowd for an opponents goal. Nani wasn't impressive at all. Vidic is one tough CB - I wish that we had someone like that, a no nonsense type of CB. Van Der Sar was superb when called upon. MUFC got a very gritty win today, something that I am sure that they will build upon throughout this tournament.

All in all, we played pretty well. Maybe not enough for the victory, but we also showed that we shouldn't be push overs if they continue to play this way. Tough match in 2 weeks' time, as the campaign continues in Kiev to face Dynamo...

16. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also, one other thing - I think that Sporting should be fined by UEFA. Why? That pitch was absolutely embarassing and disgraceful. The team should be embarassed that the pitch looks like that for such a prestigious tournament. You'd think that a team whose game plan relies heavily on ball posession would have a pitch more suited to their preferred style of play. Pathetic...

:mad:

17. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    He wasn't given the ball when the many occasions he was open down the left. Can't fault him for it.

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no but u can fault PB for leaving him on the bench to begin with

19. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can see why PB had him on the bench, because he figured that he would give the team a spark coming off the bench if they were down. Well, it didn't work. I feel that he should be the teams starting No. 10 and Romagnoli should see some time on the bench...

20. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    exactly

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pass it on, I agree, the ref was crap. I'm not going to make excuses but it just seemed in the end of the game he didn't bother making calls when it warranted.

Btw, What happened to the field?

All in all, another classic example of a former player coming back to haunt us, but he didn't celebrate knowing he daggered our heart!

[​IMG]

22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly, Vukevic is so good he needs to start...

anywyas I felt very very awkward when Ronaldo scored.. its my faviourte team vs my faviourte player and it was really tough to swallow

I was behind Sporting 100% and now im in a bad mood...

We deserved to get a result today... I think 1-1 would of been fair.

Anyways im glad the Sporting fans were amazing today

they sing very loud for most parts of the game, using a variety of chants unlike other clubs (SLB....SLBB.....).

and they dont make too much violence, man u had trouble with roma last season in that respect.

Ronaldo didnt make a big fuss of his foal, and seemedd to make a gesture of apologies to the fans, and the fans repayed him with a standing ovation which was good to see.

If anyone was going to score it better be Ronaldo- but FFS he better score vs the other teams too or I will be :mad: because Ronaldo needs to prove to the world he deserves to be rated among thebest in the world because right now everyone is blowing Kaka because of 1 game so Ronaldo better score goals in CL and help bring his club far.

as for Sporting, they better play good next games, we need to win some games... Purovic should start next time we had NO physical presence in the opposition box and that is not how you gain results in this tournament.

Van der Sar made some clutch saves for Man united.

VIVA SPORTING... Im proud to be a Sporting fan

they can lost 1000 games in a row Ill still be a fan.

SPORTING ATE MORRER

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have a question. Why does yannick suck so much?

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Didn't Sporting just spent over $100 K to re-do the pitch ?

On the game. The German ref was calling it one side for most of the first half; this crap about diving is really starting to take a toll on Portuguese clubs in international games, not only wasn't he calling anything , he even gave a yellow to Romagnoli after being fouled, ridiculous.

Veloso, Polga , and Moutinho were awesome, Liedson also in the first half. Good goaltending by Van der Saar made the difference in the final result. Nevertheless, Sporting didn't have enough bite up front. Not because the Man U defense was outstanding but more of their short-comings, no pun intended, of both Djalo and Izmalov (sp).
    If Sporting wants to advance, they need to score, which means no waste of scoring opportunities like today.

25. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    First things First...the pitch was recently replaced after the Rolling Stones concert this past June.

(put in by an English company by the way);) Can't seem to get the roots to catch and we have this problem.

As to the game, very lackluster first half were SCP had the better run of play and outshot MAN U by a wide margin.

Veloso, Polga good first half as did Liedson.

I must say that the ref was a fool, calls non fouls on some early flops then cards Romagnoli for a dive on a blatant kick in the shins...so clearly this guy had an agenda.

Second half more lackluster play, a momentary lapse and Ronaldo sneaks a diving header in as he beats Abel.

All in all a more fair result should have been a draw, Man U showed me nothing for all the high priced talent they have. Van der Sar saved them with 2 outstanding saves, but no way to think that SCP can't steal a draw there.

I lost some respect for Nani...in his incident not giving the ball back...he should know better.

IMO Bento makes a mistake leaving Djalo in, I don't understand what he sees in him, SCP have given away Lourenco and Varela both equal or better then Djalo.

Well maybe this is a good omen, last year we open with a CL win, this year a loss...hopefully they learn from this.
    No reason to not expect a victory in Kiev and we're back in it.