Sponsorships on the front of MLS jerseys

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by brinobyrne, Jun 28, 2005.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I'd pay $1K to FC Dallas to put this on the front of their jerseys, for just the games at the new stadium.

[​IMG]

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how much money USL teams get from their sponsors?

3. gotemcoach24

gotemcoach24 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Northridge Ca
    from what ive been told/read/heard is that the only reason euro clubs have ads on thier jerseys is bc they dont get the same TV deals that US club get. So the ads generate revenue that TV doesnt. For US clubs its the opposite.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You heard wrong Prem teams get huge money from Sky Tv not NFL money but they have no tv time outs.

5. gotemcoach24

gotemcoach24 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Northridge Ca
    and you heard this from...?

im looking for my sources. i think it was on OTL but im not sure. and i really doubt the prem teams get the same tv contracts the US does.

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    the english premier league is a HUGE tv property in asia as well as many countries in europe. the TV rights go for a lot of money. not NFL money, but they are the biggest tv ticket in europe. That being said, the teams don't negotiate their own tv deals like in MLS. the league has the tv rights and sells them accordingly.

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    And.......WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!! Huzzahs all around.

ALPO was a hometown sponsor, being that the team was based in Allentown, PA. Of course, it's way better than Preparation H or Cruex or something...

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google now go look I'm not going to do all the work for you. :p
    They don't I said that they have a good contract with SKY, but not NFL money
    I believe the NFL got $4.4 billion just from FOX for the NFC rights.

9. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ElJefe again.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Overseas TV rights are tiny. Always have been. Sell to 100 countries and it all adds up to a tidy sum, but the premiership rights sold in England are still well in excess of the rights sold to the rest of the world put together.

Shirt advertising started about 25 years ago when TV deals were much smaller. Clubs get around 100 times more now than then. It was just an extra way to generate revenue. It was seen then as a necessary evil, and is viewed much the same way today. Nobody thinks shirts look "cool" with a logo on them.

11. gotemcoach24

gotemcoach24 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Northridge Ca

lol you said "huge" money, but im not gunna debate your words. the fact is the TV deals that euro clubs get is nowhere near US clubs and the jersey sponorships are revenue created to make up for that.

you go google that bc your info isnt right.

12. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    How about this :

[​IMG]

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hundreds of millions of pounds is huge money to me sorry I'm working class.
    :rolleyes:

Is MLS so successful that it doesn't need to increase revenue? If shirt sponsorship will do that then yes I support that. Unless you want to see more side by side commericals.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BRUSSELS SLAMS TV DEAL

Brussels has slammed the Premiership's new £1.02bn deal with BSkyB. Embattled competition commissioner Mario Monti, who has been facing problems in his fight against cartels, declared, 'The announcements so far made by the Premier League suggest that BSkyB will have an even greater monopoly over live television rights than was the case in the past. This is bad for competition on broadcasting markets, and is bad for consumers.' If the Commission forces the Premier League to restructure the rights on offer and deprive BSkyB of exclusivity, the pay-TV group will lower its offer by several million pounds. Such a move could cause chaos among England's top football clubs. Many have already budgeted for the next three years on the assumption that the £1.02bn would be paid in full. The difficulty for the Premiership is that there are no real rivals to BSkyB with the cable services having only a weak share of the market. They are so enfeebled and divided that they cannot be serious contenders for any mass market television rights. The auction is therefore a charade, but it would be even more so if it was run again.

From
    http://members.tripod.com/~WynGrant/WGFootballPage.html
    A good UK sports business page

Now considering MLS pays to put its product on ESPN can we afford to not exploit any potential revenue streams?