Spokane Black Widows 2010

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Mateofelipe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Spokane Black Widows anounced their presence at halftime of the Spokane Spiders preseason game on Sunday. They will compete in the crowded Pacific North division of WPSL, which I hope gets more playoff spots than smaller divisions.

Please post any info you have on this team here, including accounts from fans of host teams at away matches. The media are not going to help us much, so we must all hang together.

2. Argyle82

Argyle82 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Nice write-up about the Black Widows from the leagues official WPSL website. Should be a strong team this year. Exciting times for womens soccer!

3. Argyle82

Argyle82 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
  4. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today I posted a very interesting first of a two-part series on Spokane / Inland Empire soccer.

http://www.examiner.com/soccer-in-seattle/on-the-scene-spokane-area-soccer-hoping-to-burst-through

I spoke with one of the guys trying to build the professional support side of the Spokane scene.

"In terms of getting behind another soccer team, the city has not recovered from losing the Shadow. I would just like to add that the year the Shadow folded was the same year that the Spokane Shock arena football team started up. I think the Shock provided to Spokane the same thing the Sounders provided to Seattle when the Sonics left for OKC; a high energy first time sports franchise at a time when both cities were losing a team with deep roots in the community under controversial circumstances. Essentially the Shock picked up the entertainment dollars when the Shadow ended, and the Spokane Spiders franchise was unsuccessful in winning it back."

[​IMG]