Spirit Take 3 PbP and discussion [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Ludahai, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Spirit Take 3 PbP and discussion [R] - May be Philly and SJ as well

Good morning (depending upon your time zone),

I know most Beat fans will be at the match, but for those who can't be there, let's discuss it. Is anyone watching on TV? I will be following on matchtracker, I hope it is better than it was for the last Spirit match.

A general question to ask before the match starts. Last year, it was pretty well expected going into the playoffs that the Beat and the C-Rays would win their semi-final matches. They were clearly better than the rest of the league last year. However, it seems this year you can drop a blanket on the top five teams and cover them all they are so close. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two first round 'upsets' this year where last year I think many people would have been surprised if it happened.

Enjoy the match.

WAR BEAT!!!

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Unfortunately this match is not aired ANYWHERE. :(

spiritpr just posted the starting lineup in the Spirit forum:

SPIRIT – Carly Smolak, Fan Yunjie, Joy Fawcett, Kim Pickup, Rhiannon Tanaka, Julie Foudy – C, Jenny Mascaro, Shannon Boxx, Sherrill Kester, Shannon MacMillan, Julie Fleeting.

BEAT – Briana Scurry – C, Sharolta Nonen, Julie Augustyniak, Lisa Krzykowski, Nancy Augustyniak, Nikki Serlenga, Sun Wen, Marci Miller, Homare Sawa, Charmiane Hooper, Cindy Parlow – C.

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: Spirit Take 3 PbP and discussion [R]

How did the WUSA let this happen? These two teams have a history of not liking one another and it always winds up being an entertaining show, even if the matches are NOT competitive. Furthermore, it turns out that a playoff spot is hanging in the balance.

Rediculous.

I guess we are relying on matchtracker today. YUCK!!!

4. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Ludahai.

During the final weeks of the regular season, Atlanta and Washington have been hot and even still they are quite close as the Washington-Atlanta match signifies, while Philly and especially Carlina have cooled off. It all comes down to who is peaking at their game in the post-season. I believe this year we will have an even better post-season (not like the Atlanta-Philly match last year was a yawner). I feel confident that we will get the cup this year!

Does anyone remember how we clinched a spot last year? It was a rainy day in Washington and the match was very close. Atlanta was down 1-0 by a Tracey Milburn goal. With only a few minutes to play, it seemed evident that Washington would win, but it ended up with a thriller ending. I can't remember the exact way it happened, but I do remember Hooper battling through the defense getting to a loose ball with the keeper rushing at her and then she suddenly poked it past the keeper. Then there was that corner that Bivens was going to take, but Stone told Sunny to take it. The corner was headed out by a Washington defender, and it came directly to Sunny; Sunny just launched it back into the box and caught the defence off guard and then there was a goal...don't remember how exactly even though I probably watch that tape a million times. Anyone else remember this game?

5. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Spirit Take 3 PbP and discussion [R]

How can there be two captains?

6. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we post about the SJ match?

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Has the match even started yet? I am getting no indication that it has. It is 7:16!

8. soccerbabyusa

soccerbabyusa Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Virginia
    anybody reading the match tracker?

9. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I changed the topic name to make it on topic. Have at it. It is important to the Beat if we don't win.

10. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    The match has started it's 0-0 in the 11th minute.

11. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I am. 11th minute. No score. Sun has taken the only shot so far. All Hail Sun Wen!!!

WAR BEAT!!!

12. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    13:10 SD -14th Minute. Foul Committed by 10-Sherrill Kester, 5th of season. Foul Suffered by 12-Cindy Parlow, 46th of season. Type: Pushing

Still 0-0

13. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, lots of fouls!

14. piper

piper New Member

Is this game on TV? Sorry if someone already asked this... :)

15. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    There's sure a lot of pushin goin on so far.

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    San Jose and Philly is knoted at 0 after 20 minutes according to the Yahoo Scoreboard. A San Jose loss puts the Beat in the playoffs just as much as an Atlanta win does. A draw by both teams also does the same thing.

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    16:50 ATL -17th Minute. Shot by 9-Sun Wen, 22nd of season.; Result: Wide Right
    16:50 ATL -17th Minute. Direct Free Kick by 9-Sun Wen. Kick resulted in a Shot.
    16:19 SD -17th Minute. Foul Committed by 16-Kim Pickup, 12th of season. Foul Suffered by 10-Charmaine Hooper, 47th of season. Type: Holding

I like it that Sun is taking shots. I feel she will score one before the match is out.

18. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Nope, not on tv ANYwhere :(

19. piper

piper New Member

Wouldn't be a Spirit/Beat match if there wasn't. :p

20. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    I hope you guys don't mind me being in here, bein that I'm a SD fan.

21. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Ummm...I know someone out there got REALLY PO'd a couple of weeks ago when the score from another game was mentioned in a pbp, so probably not the best idea...

22. piper

piper New Member

That is so damn ridiculous. :mad:

23. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    20:15 ATL -21st Minute. Shot on Goal by 10-Charmaine Hooper, 23rd of season.; Save by: 24-Carly Smolak, 20th of season.
    20:09 ATL -21st Minute. Shot by 9-Sun Wen, 23rd of season.; Result: Hit Crossbar

Sun is finding the range!!!

WAR SUN
    WAR BEAT!!!

24. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    On offense, it seems like all Atlanta so far.

25. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    As long as you behave its all good ;)

Wow, Pags isn't playing again...is it her knee, or performance problems?