Spirit 2018

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A single match and multiple matches in the future.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I also wouldn't mind a double-header at some point... That is, assuming the Spirit don't triple-or-more their draw simply by the different location. If the Spirit can actually draw over 10k any time they play solo at Audi Field, then no need for double-headers.

(I also wouldn't mind if DCU eventually - probably not soon - buy the Spirit outright, but that's a different discussion altogether.)

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's for the next ownership group.

5. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Ten thousand may be what will be needed for the Spirit to play their games at Audi field to make a decent profit.

Since the 4 MLS clubs have shared costs relating to using the same personnel in certain areas as the men's teams, like marketing and merchandizing, and since they operate their stadiums, and thus are able to generate income off food and beverage sales, and let's say for the sake of discussion their breakeven point would be to draw 5000 to 6000 a game, what would that attendance number need to be for the Spirit to breakeven.

After Chicago worked it out so they could rent out Toyota for the 2017 season, I wonder how far off they were on their breakeven point.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Huh, I should pay attention to the build-up to drafts more... Didin't know Sullivan was a local player. I bet she fills the advertising gap left when Kreiger was traded away.

With Pugh, Hatch, Sullivan, and Quinn, the Spirit has a strong young contingent that should sustain them for a few years.

blissett repped this.
  7. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way Washington is on the bottom next year. Those new players are way too good for that.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wonder who will be on the bottom, this season: on paper, most teams seems stronger than in 2017.

Ok, probably Boston Breakers (it looks like they're going to... break for real? Sorry for the pun :oops:).

Or Sky Blue, despite Lloyd (or maybe even "because" of Lloyd)?

Maybe we should open a thread about that? :cautious:

Airox repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just to play devil's advocate: that's what a lot of people said about Boston last year with their draft class. Then injuries happened, and Washington has never had the best luck with injuries either.

And I guess, to be fair, Boston ultimately wasn't the bottom last year, so the people who said they wouldn't be bottom were right.... but just barely.

blissett repped this.
  10. HeyBooBoo

HeyBooBoo New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Here is a list of the Spirit players that have been drafted, offered a contract or under contract.

GK - Heracic, Labbe, Wys
    DEF - Baasinger, Debree, Church, Dydasco, Johnson, Kallman, Kleiner, Smith, Zadorsky
    MF - Dougherty Howard, Huster, Huster, Lohman, Moore, Proffitt, Quinn, Sullivan
    F - Aedo, Estefania, Eubanks, Farquharson, Hatch, Pugh, Ship, Solaun, Williams.

That's 29 players for only 20 roster spots. How do you see the roster looking opening day?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Francisca Ordega is no more part of the team? She scored some nice goals in 2017 season...

12. HeyBooBoo

HeyBooBoo New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Good catch!

She is on loan with Atletico Madrid but should be back in March. That just makes the decision that much harder :mad:

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Stephanie Labbé is current starting Canada's GK, but she had been benched in the last part of the season in Washington and if I remember well she could have had some problems with management.
    Also, she had recently made a very touching video about her health problems and her fight against depression.

I wonder if she actually wants to remain in Washington for another season (especially if management is the same) or if she's going to look for a change. :cautious:

14. HeyBooBoo

HeyBooBoo New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    True. Personally , I think Labbé is their best GK and would be the starter in 2018 if she plays for the Spirit. We also don't know if she was benched because of her health issue or performance.

I hope she comes back, not because she is their best GK (even though she is), but because it would mean that she has made progress with her fight against depression.

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree both about the fact that I want her back and healthy and that she's an excellent GK.

She's an asset Spirit should protect: she deserves it as a person, and she could be a match-winner for her team; if I remember well, she won multiple times Save-of-the-Week Award, in 2017, before being benched.

HeyBooBoo repped this.
  16. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see it being:

GK - Labbe, Wys 2
    DEF - Debree, Dydasco, Johnson, Kleiner, Smith, Zadorsky 6
    MF - Dougherty Howard, Huster, Lohman, Proffitt, Quinn, Sullivan 6
    F - Estefania, Eubanks, Hatch, Pugh, Williams, Ordega 6

And yes, I realize some good players not on that list. Maybe some trades.

HeyBooBoo and blissett repped this.
  17. HeyBooBoo

HeyBooBoo New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #17 HeyBooBoo, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    I like your list. Makes sense. After a couple days of thought here's my guess.

(2) GK - Labbe, Wys
    (6) DEF - Baasinger, Debree, Dydasco, Smith, Zadorsky, Quinn (Their MF is so stacked, I see Quinn starting more as a CB this year)
    (6) MF - Dougherty Howard, Estefania, Huster, Huster, Proffitt,, Sullivan (I just really want to see the sisters on the team together for at least a year)
    (6) F - Eubanks, Hatch, Ordega, Pugh, Ship, Williams, (a lot depends on how players return from ACL injuries)

I agree a lot of talent being left off this list, but I also see plenty of trades too. I can see the names not on this list being on another teams roster, especially in the midfield. I also don't see 6 rookies making the team but I can't help myself :whistling:

18. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha sometimes it's hard to knock the rookies until you at least see them in a game or two!

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon and sitruc repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^^^^^

When the schedule comes out, I will be able to plan my trip to the Maryland SoccerPlex - never been there. NC and SkyBlue are my top priority games.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that the Spirit still have Frannie Ordega and Estefania Banini, on top of all the others - Holy Crap!

blissett repped this.
  22. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Was just at the Plex stadium last night. Dang that's a nice field.

23. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they stay there. I realize it's not the best if you're trying to draw huge numbers, but the field and stadium are so nice and welcoming. It's a good setting.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For some.

25. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's cryptic! Care to explain?