Spieltag 1 - BVB - Werder

Discussion in 'SV Werder Bremen' started by WerderBremenYank, Aug 17, 2012.

1. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it just had to be. The schedule gods have determined that our beloved Green & Whites be offered as sacrifice to the back to back defending champions Borussia Dortmund at the Westfalenstadion.

I must say, I expect us to be beaten, and by several goals. I think its important to not be too worried by such a result. It will be a long season, and I suspect, a happy season, for our team.

Lineup I would like to see (4-1-4-1)

GK: Mielitz
    DR: Gebre-Selassie
    DC: Sokratis
    DC: Prodl
    DL: Schmitz
    DM: Fritz
    AMR: Arnautovic
    MC: Hunt
    MC: Bargfrede
    AML: Elia
    ST: Peterson

wow, what a very different squad we have this season.

Pre match predictions?

2. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see de Bruyne ahead of Bargfrede... i would probably play Fullkrug ahead of Petersen, but Schaaf will likely start Petersen. i don't make final score predictions, but i do predict de Bruyne over Bargfrede in the starting 11 for the Dortmund match. heck, i would probably even toss Juno ahead of Bargfrede in the pecking order with Fritz covering DM responsibilities. de Bruyne has to start over Bargfrede, way too much talent to leave on the bench lol

Dortmund has picked up a few bumps the last few days, maybe they can pick up a few more with the DFB Pokal this weekend. it may be a sacrifice like you say, but i think it may be a bit closer than you would think ;)

3. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope you are correct in your belief that this match will be closer than many would expect. Perhaps the weight of expectation on Dortmund's players will cause them to stumble out of the gate.

Also, your thoughts on de Bruyne and Junozovic are spot on. Playing either of these players in lieu of Bargfede would be a statement by Schaaf showing his continued commitment to playing that attacking football we fell in love with several years ago.... I just wonder if Schaaf may get cold feed and be a bit more conservative in his approach.

4. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Bargfrede starts over de Bruyne or Juno, it will be a sacrifice to Dortmund lol... the only way i see Bargfrede playing is if Fritz picks up a bump before now and then (or a Fritz injury during the match).

5. Aluscardum

Aluscardum Member

May 31, 2009
    British Columbia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even at the DM position, I would prefer starting Iggy over Bargfrede.

I also expect that Juno and De Bruyne will play in lieu of Hunt and Bargs. It is also possible that we'll play a 4-3-3 since we drew against Dortmund with that formation. If that's the case, I'd expect Juno-Fritz-deBruyne to marshall our midfield behind the obvious Elia-Petersen-Arno combination. Sadly, despite being given the number 10, I see Ekici playing a fairly small roll this season.

BMike86 repped this.
  6. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would definitely pick Juno over Hunt... but with all the talk this preseason surrounding Hunt as the pk and freekick taker, i think he will get the benefit of starting for a while because of it. but I too, would prefer a center of the park with Juno, de Bruyne and Fritz

7. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Bargfrede made a strong impression at the test match this week, but Juno and Kevin De Bruyne were the strongest player in the season preparation IMHO. Well, but before dreaming of the Dortmund match we have to concentrate on Münster. They have already 5 matches played and started very well in 3. Liga. This can become a cup fight.

8. Aluscardum

Aluscardum Member

May 31, 2009
    British Columbia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I actually really like Hunt--the people who have been here awhile will recall that--but even I'm not sure if he'll start. That being said, though, he seems like the best candidate to be our vice captain this season (based on how long he has been with the team.) Talent wise, I don't think there is an argument for starting him. However, TS loves him (even more than I do!), so that will probably see him win quite a few starts.

9. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like the foot injury Elia picked up will hold him out of practice the next few days... has a chance to return against Dortmund on Friday, but we will see how he progresses as week goes on

10. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elia has returned to practice, so that is great news heading into the Bundesliga opener on Friday

11. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Our roster for today:
    Sebastian Mielitz, Raphael Wolf, Theodor Gebre Selassie, Assani Lukimya, Sebastian Prödl, Sokratis, Lukas Schmitz, Aleksandar Ignjovski, Philipp Bargfrede, Clemens Fritz, Aaron Hunt, Mehmet Ekici, Kevin de Bruyne, Zlatko Junuzovic, Eljero Elia, Marko Arnautovic, Nils Petersen, Niclas Füllkrug

12. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After another calamitous cup exit, the boys better focus and give a gritty performance. I don't expect too much against Dortmund, but if theres one thing I hope to see from Bremen this season, is that they put a stop to conceding soft and amateur goals, and actually play some defense!

13. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    That will probably not change. The team is built from scratch, some of the players have great potential, but are inexperienced. I expect a season with ups and downs.

14. WinniWerder

WinniWerder Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hope to find a steady stream here...I'm actually home to watch this match.

15. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WinniWerder repped this.
  16. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    starting 11 for today's match is...

looks like they will be Mielie - Iggy, Sokratis, Prodl, Theo- Elia, Hunt, Fritz, Juno, de Bruyne- Arnautovic

17. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  18. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reus makes it 1-0 about 11 mins

19. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Marco Reus scores the 1st goal of the 2012/2013 Bundesliga.

20. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Well done by Reus, but every 3rd league player had made it. Ignjovski is so pathetic, I don't know why Schaaf fielded this looser. :mad:

21. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Elia should've buried that. :(

22. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  23. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, too many touches by Elia... positive is Werder is creating good opportunities, negative is the back line is not looking good haha

24. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ignjovski receives a yellow card.

Horrible positioning once again.

25. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT 1-0 Dortmund

Reus 11 mins

Iggy looked out of place several times at left back, but i doubt Schaaf wastes a substitution to bring Schmitz on... Arnautovic has not done much, I would like to see Fullkrug brought on if possible