Spielberg to make movie about '72 Munich massacre and aftermath

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Jul 1, 2005.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The world's most talented yet stupid filmmaker takes on the Middle East!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/movies/01spie.html?ei=5065&en=0b6b27e5f627bb9a&ex=1120795200&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

LOS ANGELES, June 30 - On Wednesday, Steven Spielberg's apocalyptic thriller "War of the Worlds" invaded movie theaters worldwide. But the director had already moved on. That night in Malta, Mr. Spielberg quietly began filming the most politically charged project he has yet attempted: the tale of a secret Mossad hit squad ordered to assassinate Palestinian terrorists after the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics in Munich.

The film, which is being written by the playwright Tony Kushner - it is his first feature screenplay - begins with the killing of 11 Israeli athletes in Munich. But it focuses on the Israeli retaliation: the assassinations, ordered by Prime Minister Golda Meir, of Palestinians identified by Israeli intelligence as terrorists, including some who were not directly implicated in the Olympic massacre. By highlighting such a morally vexing and endlessly debated chapter in Israeli history - one that introduced the still-controversial Israeli tactic now known as targeted killings - Mr. Spielberg could jeopardize his tremendous stature among Jews both in the United States and in Israel.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering how he's going to get a cute little girl and an alien into the story.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spielberg...subtlety and nuance. Spielberg...subtlety and nuance.

Nope, not happening.

This film has "camp classic" written all over it.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    "Talented yet stupid" sums it up pretty well. I'm pretty much sick of his movies.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Or which Mossad agent will be played by Tom Cruise.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that Harrison Ford will play Golda Meir.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    A list of all the films he's directed (IMDB, sorted by ranking):

(8.80) - Schindler's List (1993)
    (8.70) - Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    (8.30) - Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    (8.20) - Jaws (1975)
    (8.10) - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    (7.80) - Minority Report (2002)
    (7.80) - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    (7.70) - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    (7.70) - Duel (1971/I) (TV)
    (7.60) - The Color Purple (1985)
    (7.60) - Catch Me If You Can (2002)
    (7.50) - Empire of the Sun (1987)
    (7.40) - Jurassic Park (1993)
    (7.20) - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
    (7.19) - Amblin' (1968)
    (7.10) - The Terminal (2004)
    (7.02) - Night Gallery (1969) (TV)
    (7.00) - Amistad (1997)
    (7.00) - War of the Worlds (2005)
    (6.94) - Columbo: Murder by the Book (1971) (TV)
    (6.88) - The Unfinished Journey (1999)
    (6.80) - Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)
    (6.71) - The Sugarland Express (1974)
    (6.26) - Amazing Stories: Book One (1992) (V)
    (6.21) - Always (1989)
    (6.17) - Something Evil (1972) (TV)
    (6.11) - Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
    (5.80) - Hook (1991)
    (5.61) - 1941 (1979)
    (5.50) - The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

I avoid Holocaust stuff so I didn't see Schindler's List. Maybe that was a great film, but that would have to be the only one, from an artisitc perspective. I loved the first and last Raiders' movies and enjoyed ET and Saving Private Ryan. The rest have been various degrees of bleh. I still can't figure out why so many people loved Jaws.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's amusing that 1941 ranks above The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, to me it sounds like Spielberg is taking an authentic risk by tackling a controversial subject. His legacy is intact with films like "Raiders" and "Schindler's List" and who the hell remembers "Hook" or "1941"? Maybe this will bomb, maybe this will alienate a lot of people, but at least he's taking a risk.

10. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Read this - One Day in September: The Full Story of the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and the Israeli Revenge Operation "Wrath of God"
    by Simon Reeve

Then watch this - [​IMG]

11. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a great story to be told here. If done well, this could be a really entertaining movie.

12. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Oren's book ,Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East, should be required reading for an understanding of the region

13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may be more to this movie than just special effects.

14. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Spielberg, eh? Great. Now the movie's guaranteed to have a cutesy ending.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "1941" is an underrated gem IMO. A true guilty pleasure.

(so says the guy with John Belushi in his avatar)

16. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    I am sure we will all run out and take the kids to see this movie.

17. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    A LOT of people remember Hook.

18. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With Tony Kushner on the script, I'm going to hold out hope that this will be watchable.

19. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    It will be aremake of "Sword of Gideon" which was in the 80's, that also had a stupid plot, where the main Mossad agent has doubsts after awhile that if everyone takes retaliations or revenge or an "eye for an eye" theme, then the world would be full of blind people. I hope Mr. Spielberg for once (beside Schindler's List) remembers where his ancestors came from and the reason why Jews have outlived all great empires - humor, religion and payback. As much as I love this subject of Mossad going after terrorists and killing them, if this movie will have a theme of "Let's all just try to understand and no one's at fault" I won't pay a dime for it. If he wants to show the real history and make a distinct difference between Terrorists who kill innocent athletes and Mossad agents going after not so-innocent terrorists, then I will watch the movie

20. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Spielberg is pretty stupid.
    Thank goodness he has enough fingers so he can still count the zeros in his net worth............barely.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Um, the point is that his movies are usually pretty stupid, but like Charlie Brown kicking the football I keep looking forward to them (see War of the Worlds...actually don't).

Nobody doubts that he's extremely bright and makes more money than any other filmmaker.

22. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I should have read it as stupid film maker or maker of stupid films and not stupid filmmaker as it was written.

Either way I'm still saying that he is stupid. If you want to say his movies are stupid, fine you can have that. I still think that he is stupid. So I'll give you that his films are stupid if you'll allow me that he is stupid. The original wording did not make that very clear so being the benevolent SOB that I am I'll allow for either. Also, are his films stupid when compared to films as a whole or when only compared to a select group of films. And does he have a select group of films that are not stupid at all, but might be pretty good. Ones that could be separated from his entire catalogue. He has made a specialty of overly sentimental blockbusters and a few have been gems in my opinion. One is even among my favorites.

There is also the possibility I thought that the word stupid is improper in properly describing the shortcomings of him or his films and that was what I was making light of. I would agree with the idea that many of his movies are flawed, but I would not use stupid to describe the flaws in him or his movies.

Imbecilic works much better for me.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's completely proper. Spielberg has acces to the best screenwriters, the best producers, the best technicians, and all the money in the world. No other filmmaker has ever had it as good as he has. And he still makes stupid movies. If it feels better to blame it on something else, go ahead. But stupid is as stupid does. (to quote a filmmaker even more stupid than Speilberg)

24. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly. Everything everyone thinks is forever completely proper. If you don't believe me just ask them. Or better yet contradict them. Then you'll be certain they'll be right no matter the reasons they must contrive. When you contradict someone, no matter how slightly or innocently, they are always right.

25. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ