Spennie - Awesome Season

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by joeyclams, Oct 27, 2003.

1. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Just to get away from all the negativity and Hanki talk - Okay, those are one and the same. I just want to point out the high quality season that our captain just had. Tied his record for goals in a season (14) and was just two points away from tying is points record as well (33).

If only he could have got that hat-trick goal last Saturday.

Anyway, cheers to Spennie. Let's all hope it is wasted.

2. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you just love it when good things actually do happen to good people?!?!

Spenny works hard for us, and scores for us...

He's our dash of international flavor, wears his heart on his sleeve, straight for the throat kinda guy...

He's given us great moments, none of them have been a waste... still get goosebumps thinking about Super Johnny Spencer striking in LA...

If the Rapids stumble, it certainly won't be because Johnny Spencer didn't give 100%

3. pigtail

pigtail New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    If you subtract all the Pks that Spencer has taken and scored, Mark Chung a midfielder has scored more goals than Spencer this season. It is amazing that the guy gets no credit or respect in Colorado for his contribution. Spencer is a Striker, it is his job to score goals. For a midfielder to score more goals than the striker,who really is the better. Only one other in this league does that and it is Preki, the Budwieiser champion. So give credit where credit is due.

4. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Spenny's goals

I am so glad that someone else thinks like I do. I have been saying all along, if you take away everyones penalty kicks how would the league goal scorers stack up. Does anyone know? ....Greenie?
    I dont think it is fair to count penalty kicks in for the league leaders when not everyone has the opportunity to take them.
    This being said, I agree that Spenny has fought a tough game every minute he has been on the field. He certainly gives it his all.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chung and Spennie are really our one-two punch, but I think it's good to get Spennie back to 100% after the past two seasons and all of his injury problems.

Take nothing away from Chung, but he did almost exactly what he did last year, Spennie's play was drastically improved.

Ok, go ahead and take away his PK goals this year. He had 4, that still leaves him with 10 overall, just one behind Chung. Chung ended up with 6 assists to Spennie's 5. Really, pretty even on overall scoring statistics.

Both of these guys made significant contributions this year and maybe Spennie stole a little of Carrieri's mojo from last year, but I think it's good to have our captain back in top form.

6. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Lighten up Francis. Starting this thread was in no way an insult to Mark Chung, who also had an incredible season and scored some pretty spectacular goals. And last year, I praised Chung up and down for his great season. I just think that Spennie had a better season than Chung, from a leadership perspective and from a scoring perspective.

As someone else said, it was great to see Spennie back to 100% and get back to his scoring ways, regardless of how he got them. Goals are goals, period. Someone has to put them in the back of the net and while it may look easy, PKs aren't. Hell, he missed two this year.

And when you say that he is a striker and is supposed to score goals, would you say that CC had a horrible year because he scored only three goals this year, even though he had 8 assists? And how about Spennie's 5 dimes? These guys are supposed to score goals and not get assists right? That's the midfield's job.

If you wanted to honor Chung for his great season, then start another thread.

7. pigtail

pigtail New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Yes,say it is good to have Spencer back at 100%,but do not go further than that unless you like the off feild antics more than you enjoy the play. And do not make the PK situation sound as it is a tough chore. Hell taking a free kick and scoring is 10 times tougher. Rabidratz is correct in saying it should not count as it askews the true statistics and gives unfair advantage numbers over those that do not get the chance to do so, especially in the US where everything is stats. How do you think other players feel when they work hard to score real goals and others totally overshadow them by getting the penalties. It is downright stupid. And by the way I like CC but even he knows that this season has not been his best. CC give them hell in the playoffs

8. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Geez................I hope players don't get there feelings hurt.

Would you make special considerations for players who drew the penalties if they were the player who subsequently converted it?

To me, the special footnote for penalty goals is a silly argument. A goal is a goal, a win is a win.

I bet chunger or spencer would gladly trade in there goal and assist totals to lift the cup. Any player that wouldn't needs to find another sport.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I bet defenders feel so bad because the forwards are getting all the goal scoring opportunities and not sharing with the whole team.:rolleyes:

PK taking is something that you earn. You are the most reliable player in those situations and the whole team is counting on you to score. I'm sure Chung wouldn't mind taking PK's either, but my guess is that the team worked on it in practice, and Spennie emerged as the clear winner, the go-to-guy for crucial scoring opportunities. PK taking is an art, especially with keepers like Brad Friedel in goal who can reach both posts with his wingspan. Besides, the pressure in taking a PK is completely different than a goal during the run of play. I would argue that some goals scored in the run of play are easier to score than PK's, at times. Don't want to hijack the thread with the silly argument, but Spencer deserves every one of the 14 goals he scored this year, he worked for them.

10. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

And I think that history shows that hendo is second on that list, not chunger (I am by no means trying to downplay chung's abilities and/ or performance this season, there is no doubt that he has played well.)

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Jeez pigtail, you're acting like someone pissed in your Wheaties. A guy offers praise to Spenny and you take this as a shot to the crotch regarding your buddy Chung.

They both had outstanding seasons. But just as you claim that Spenny's contribution may be overshadowed by the penalty goals he's won, so are you devaluing the intangibles that make Spenny so valuable to the organization.

But hey, as long as we're talking about statistics, how about looking at the last 10 MLS games?

Spenny: 5g, 3a (no PKs)
    Chung: 2g, 4a

Like you say, Spenny's job is to score goals. And he's doing that. But Chungy's production certainly seems to have fallen off the mark from where it was earlier in the year -- in the past 5 games, he's only put in 1 goal (the free against Chicago) and 2 assists.

Big players need to step up when the chips are down, and whereas Spenny appears to have been at a consistent level for the entire season, where is Chung when we need him the most? Why is that despite racking up so many goals and assists over his MLS career, Chung is with his 3rd team in 8 years?

I'm not belittling Chung's contribution this year, but if I think there's no question that Spenny is the MVP of this team this season. This year he's led by both example and emotion, and he should be applauded for his work.

12. pigtail

pigtail New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Greenie,9 out of 10 Pks scores in this league. Does that answer your silliness about Pks vs real goals and secondly we do not have any Freidels here.Then you claim that because Chung has not scored so many goals in the last 5 games his game has fallen off. Another stupid statement because the guy is still playing very well. It just goes to show that you are a sports fan but not a real soccer fan because you depend on stats, rather than what you see. Then you claim Spennie has been consistent all season. Did you just start watching the Rapids in July? It is really useless talking to a Dummy.

13. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Why is it that PKs count as goals in other leagues, same as in MLS? If I recall correctly, RVN had 16 pks last year as a part of his 45 goals and Thierry Henry had at least 20% of his goals from the spot. They suck too correct? How exactly would you record PKs then? Give everyone on the team a goal just so their feelings aren't hurt?

I've been to every home game this season and watched every game available on the Shootout. I know what I have seen and what I have seen is a guy (Spencer) take a team, and will them to play better by talking the talk and walking the walk. Remember, it was Spencer that scored in 6 straight games for the Rapids to get their mid-season streak going, including the only goal in the LA win that gave the Rapids their first away win and second win in LA in like, 12 games.

This is a guy that leads, where Chung is content to sit back and play. You don't have young players going up to Chung and asking advice, they go to Spencer for that. For me, that is why he is captain and why he is also successful at scoring and setting up goals.

Plus, to say that Chung had a better season based on the fact that he scored 11 goals from midfield totally goes against your point. You're using statistics to argue your point and not taking into account the other intangible stuff that makes a Most Valuable Player.

Look, this is really phucking stupid to argue this stuff. Pigtail is obviously more knowledgeable about soccer than any of us. We should all go away and let him post replies to his own superior thoughts. I don't know what I was thinking trying to praise a successful season from the Rapids captain. I must be out of my mind.

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    You're tellin' me.

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey pigtail, how many pk's have you ever taken? Do you understand the responsibility, the pressure? Even in a semi-competitive league, you have to be on to score, I can only imagine what it's like to take one in a professional match. While a majority of pk's are scored, it's no gimmie. The reason the stats are 90% is because the sharpest players are taking the kicks. It is a skill, just like Chungy's free kicks, you are just 1v1 with a goalie.

Wait, why are we debating this???

Let's get back to giving kudos to Spenny for a great season (good season for Chung too, but that's for a different thread.)

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    What does it matter ... they both rock. We'd suck without either one of them.

They both had a fantastic season ... and they are the two untouchables on this team.

Why don't you focus your argument against Preki or Donovan ... not Chunger?

17. pigtail

pigtail New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Hey Clams, who scored 2 goals on July 4th when this team turned around. Who has been player of the week,player of the month and winner twice of goal of the week. Was it Spencer? Did he once this year win any of these accolades. No my freind, it was Mark Chung. You and Greenie talks about leadership and emotions when you decide your MVP, well I get it now. You believe MVP means most valuable person. OK if that is the case I completely agree with you both. End of argument. I will now focus on Razov and Donovan good players indeed.

18. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    On July 4th, who scored in their 5th straight game? And a week later, who scored in their 6th straight game? Oh, but I guess since some of those were PKs, that doesn't matter. Gotcha.

What the hell is your deal, anyway? You bring up numbers to support your buddy, yet call everyone else a moron for doing the same.

Whose name has been bantered around as league MVP? Who is the player routinely credited by his teammates for his ability, his passion, his leadership? Was it Chung? Did he once this year get credited with any of those accolades? No my friend, it was John Spencer.

And before you discredit those who suggest Spenny as league MVP, remember that the same people are the ones that have named Chung POTW.

Just what is your deal, anyway? Someone mentions praise for Spenny and all you feel like doing is taking a dump on their opinion.

19. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Kudos to Spenny! Chungs my man but Spenny is the kick in the ass out team needed.

20. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    ZIZI FOR PRESIDENT!!!

ok only kidding. anyone who can't recognize this is THE YEAR for John Spencer is blind or too consumed with fanboyism for another player that he can't see straight. Hell, I think the Rapids best player this year is Thor but you don't see me coming in here trying to rain on John's parade.

14 goals PK or no, 14 balls left john's body and hit the back of the net. i don't know what else describes a goal. it's not like in years past when mls had the shootout. these are in game, someone was pulled down in the box (or at least the ref thought they were) penalty kicks. and they are hard. sure chung can get an almost impossible goal on a free kick but spencer continues to surprise and dazzle with his beautiful moves game after game. did you see how far out that header was on saturday?

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spencer's the man. He's great for the Rapids and just as great for MLS. He's what's known as a "true footballer" and is the type of player that not only inspires teammates but brings out fans to the game.

And you gotta love his accent too. :)

(PS. I'm also a HUGE fan of Chung...as well as Beckerman, Borchers, Trembly, Fraser, etc.)

22. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Exactly. We're all fans of the team but special mention has to go out to the player that everybody is touting as a candidate for MVP. He won't win but it is a great honor.

And last year, we were all singing the praises of Chung when he was an MVP candidate and had a great season. IIRC, nobody went on these boards and bashed his play at the expense of CC or Hendo who also had great seasons.