Spencer turns down D.C.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by antnee7898, Dec 17, 2009.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives reports that DC United in "scrambles" to find a coach after San Jose does'nt give them permission to speak to Frank Yallop. Houston gave permission for them to speak to John Spencer but he turned DCU down.

Makes me smile on a footy sense. But personal, they have the same or worse trouble we have on a stadium deal.

2. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link to the story?

3. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    John Spencer would never go to DC because he has the

SPIRIT OF TEJAS!!!!!!!

5. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “If the D.C. job came up and it was the only job this year, I would definitely have gone and spoken to them, but I had already spoken to another team, and I just think it’s against the grain to do one interview and then go somewhere else and do another interview. I think it’s unprofessional.” (John Spencer)

I'm not following this. Maybe someone can clear up the coach job-hunting etiquette issue for me. If I am a skilled professional and there is demand for my services, isn't it in my best interest to talk to everyone who needs them and find out which job can offer me the best salary and quality of life for my family? How is it unprofessional to schedule multiple interviews?

7. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    read-Portland offered me the keys to the house so why would I go to the Scum for year to try and manage their set of Geritol addicts? What good could it do for a guy like me that has already been offered the Timbers job and I get to build my own team with my own guys.

unprofessional in the fact that Portland is the place he wants to be.

Its like Tiger-has a hot Swedish wife so why fool around with hamburger when you have fillet mignon at home? It's pointless to interview elsewhere for just a year. Sounds like he's a lock for Portland and I would expect John to be gone and moved by June.

8. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That doesn't make sense to me. If that's the case, why not just say he's not interested in the DC job at this time? Why bring up professionalism at all?

9. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    it's respect for the DC organization.

Why go through the interview process when you've already made up your mind. I'm sure coaches would rather deal with a team they built, than all of the baggage of pre-existing players, the drama of benching veteran guys, etc

10. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    maybe he isn't a lock for the Timbers and wants to make is sound like that's his dream job. Example-you have an interview for Shell scheduled and then get a call from Exxon. You have a good feeling that Shell will take you and that's where you want to be, so you tell Exxon no thanks-it tells Shell that's where you want to be.

11. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf that's not how it works. You listen to Exxon's offer and let Shell know Exxon has an offer on the table as well. If Shell really wants your services they will give you a competitive offer, but if they say screw off then you take Exxon's offer.

12. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're both wrong. You tell both of them to shove it and go with Pemex.

13. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I am not saying that is what you would do, or even I would do but it's probably what someone that really really wants to work that particular job at Shell would do.

Sounds to me that there is some sort of gentleman's agreement between Portland and John and he doesn't want to step on any toes-why would he want to go to DC?

If memory serves me right-he blew off Chicago after JCO jumped ship as well. Spencer is patient, knows what he wants and won't be distracted by other opportunities.

If it was all about listening to the best opportunities and going where the money is-then why isn't he in NY already?

I have heard that he doesn't want to be on the West Coast-so why would he waste anyone's time if he has absolutely no intention of going there. Believe it or not, there are honorable guys still left out there who do stuff for other reasons other money. That's where his professional comment comes in.

14. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when did they move Portland? :D

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    oops, that should have been East Coast

16. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we start screaming profanities at him cause he wants to go to Portland instead of stay an assistant in Houston??? :D Just Kidding, obviously.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a feeling that any profanities directed toward Mr. Spencer would result in a Glasgow handshake

18. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, Please Explain.:p