Speed

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by rymannryan, Aug 30, 2002.

1. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    I realize a lot of speed is natural, but does anyone have any tips for improving speed, quickness, agility, etc.

2. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    In order to have maximum speed you need to have a great aerobic base, which means a lot of long-distance running at first. Like 45 minute runs. After you feel really comfortable endurance-wise, start doing short sprints. If you want more detailed tips you need to give more information about your current shape and level of play.

3. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I would like some information on that same topic because i think that if i were faster I would be a much better soccer player.

This year I will play in a U-16 League recreationally and hopefully competitively also.

I can run a mile in 5:30 and the most i have ever run is 20 mins but i didn't feel too tired after that and that was two years ago when i was much shorter and in worse shape.

4. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    For the first month try to run for 45 minutes three times a week, if you can't do so much, start with 20 minutes and build up from there. That's all you need to do in the first month - I guarantee you will be a lot faster by the end of that month. If you have a lot of practice during a week, make 2 runs instead of 3. If you do this, by the end of the month you will have built yourself a pretty good aerobic base (wich means your body is prepared to use a lot of oxygen to make energy and you won't get tired as fast any more). In the second month start doing short sprints on some days (to build speed) and longer sprints on other days (to build speed endurance). And at the end of those workouts put a 20 minute run to relax the muscles and help them recover more quickly. A short sprint might be sprinting 10 times for 30 meters with max power with little rests in between. A long sprint workout: first 200, then 400 and then 600 meters with rests in between. NB! The most important thing is that you must build an aerobic base first!

5. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    And one more thing - for the long runs the tempo should be so that if you run with a partner you can talk to them not that you are so out of breath that you can't even talk. (then it's an unaerobic workout and your muscle will hurt like hell the next day)

6. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks green day, i am pretty sure i can easily do a 45 minute run at that speed, when i ran twenty mins it was like my fastest possible speed for that time so i definitely couldn't talk to my buddy next to me.

7. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Personally, 45 minutes is way too long to run distance. The standard for soccer players is anywhere from a 3-4 mile run...anything more will take away from speed and quickness. Try interval training, fartlek training. Look them up on the internet...look under soccer conditioning on yahoo.com and see what pops up. Also try this site
    www.socceroutreach.com and look under training tips and then scroll down to fitness, click on it and it will DL a page full of stuff...it's what the US Women's Nat. Team does for fitness, incredible stuff, it has their endurance/speed/anaerobic/aerobic/plyometric drills all on there.

Good luck.

8. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    These are good tips. Thanks.

9. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Anyone know anything about "ladder" work?

10. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Your probably right if we're talking about 14-15 yearold players. Pros do 45-60 minute aerobic runs and it definately won't take away their speed... but if you're younger you gotta be really careful not to harm yourself. The best thing is to consult a professional coach of course. From what I know 16 is about the age when you can start training similar to adults. At age 14 it's definately ok to do endurance workout unlike at a very young age.

11. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Yeah I just turned 16 and I'm thinking about going to a soccer field and doing about a 35 minute run with a ball. It'll help with dribbling and stuff. Are there any flaws in that?

12. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    All I know is that one of my college teammates plays for the full Trinidad National Team and the other is captain for the Grenada National Team. During the summer I trained with them everyday and we never ran distance longer than 3-4 miles, everything else was on the field, sprint work, shuttle running, plyos, and tons of ball work. These 2 guys are the fittest players I've ever seen and by training with them, I have become as fit as them. So, take what you will from that. If you wanna know more, let me know. I've got a whole program that the Trinidad National Team does. It'll get you fitter, faster, and quicker than you've ever been.

13. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I want to know more. Can you post that program?

14. snsj4

snsj4 New Member

Oct 3, 2001
    O.C. ,California
    I want to know more about the program too

15. socerdoug

socerdoug BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 8, 2004
    hood of florida
    Try doing plyometrics that increases your speed and you verticcal jump

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    f'n $ht!!! i just wrote a long post that disappeard cuz of these damn servers!!!

anyway this running 45mins crap is CRAP. do sprints to build your endurance and speed at the same time. actually doing sprints is the easiest way to build speed. for acceleration focus on 10's-60's. for top speeds practice 60's-150's depending on where you notice you start topping out, for me the 100 is the best. 150-500 is for sprinting stamina.
    also plyometrics rock!

17. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    do anyhting to improve your stride (make it longer)

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is true, if you can find someone to teach you proper form too then do so, but dont over-exaggerate your strides when making them longer.

19. socerdoug

socerdoug BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 8, 2004
    hood of florida
    I have a 5 week plyometric program i can send you or post just tell me if you or anyone needs it

20. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd liek to see it plz. you already know my screen name, but i think it would be better if you told everyone. thanks

21. da_man

da_man Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why did you start posting in this thread and do you people think that after two years he will still need advice on "speed"??? Seriously he probably doesn't even visit the site anymore!!! TWO YEARS!!!

22. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Listen to AstraBo0t he's right that's what i do and it helps just sprint then rest then sprint and keep doing that, repetition is the key.

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

honestly i didnt notice, i assumed it was new, but hopefully someone will get something out of this thread.

24. napalm_dave

napalm_dave New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    New Orleans
    When I was in high school I starting running track to help me with my speed on the soccer field. I think it definitely helped. It can be especially beneficial if you have a good track coach who knows something about running.

25. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    yea i would like to see it plz.