Speed and feints

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by sudhan, Mar 23, 2003.

1. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Hi once again..I need tips from ya ppl once more..

How do I develop my speed to get past opponents? Like how Henry does it. And how do I feint? I just can't get it right. Thanks a million..

2. Galen

Galen Member

Jul 16, 1999
    El Cerrito
    If there was an easy way to be like Henry, we'd all be doing it. ;)

As for speed and feints...my advice is this: the main ways to beat someone on the dribble all involve change of speed and/or change of direction. Practice dribbling the ball while changing direction rapidly - also practice dribbling the ball while changing your speed - combining a change of speed with a change of direction will often be enough to fool a defender long enough for you to get by him or open up a passing lane.

As for Denilson-style feints, well, can't help you there, sorry. :)

3. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    feints meaning not the scissors move but just body tricking.

4. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    The best feint move I know of -- also, not coincidentally the simplest -- is the "Matthews" move. The move was named for Sir Stanley Matthew, an England international who was probably the best dribbler of the ball in his generation. This move involves taking a step in one direction, possibly even throwing an arm in that direction, then taking away the ball with the outside of the other foot. When Matthews was playing, everyone in the park could know the move was coming, and it still achieved its aim -- to freeze an opponent for just that moment.

The key to any of the feint moves, as you'll see if you Henry or Owen, is to go in to a move slower and come out faster.

Patience! Keep working on it. If it doesn't come at first, that doesn't mean it never will. Master the move on both the right and the left side.