Speculative: Where should Buddle play?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jeffmefun, Sep 14, 2003.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious as to where people think someone like Edson "Butter" Buddle should play? I've heard of interest in Norway, I believe, but it seems like his touch and ability to move defenders might be well suited for a tougher league, like the Bundesliga, or even a more physical EPL team.

Mods - please move this to the appropriate forum if this isn't it.

2. javaj

javaj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Creve Coeur
  3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    1 healthy season where he helps his MLS club team accomplish something seems reasonable.

4. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    going to Norway would be foolish. He's an EPL quality player in 1-2 years.

5. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Germany, with a mid-table side, after another year in MLS, that is.

6. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    Easy..US NATS. ASAP

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Like Howard? or John? or Bartlett? or...

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'll give you all 3 guesses on what i think and the last two don't count...

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyenoord?

FC Utrecht?

PSV?

:D

I think Germany would be a nice spot for Edson. He's looking very good and shows tremendous potential.

10. Shures

Shures New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    NYC area
    Edson Buddle will start at forward for the US of A in Germany 2006. That fall, if not sooner, he will be a starting forward in either the EPL or Bundesliga.

He's the man. Period.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since most people usually tag the EPL or Bundesliga as destinations for young Yanks, I'm going to go out on a limb as saying Bundle could ply his trade in Italy or Spain. Maybe with teams like Udinese, Chievo, Real Betis,Sevilla, or Celta Vigo. I like his style of play and I hope he becomes a regular with the Nats soon.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    He does need to move on to a higher, more fully-concentrating league after 2004 at max, but Buddle's ability to hold off defenders.....I really can't think of an American player who I think has better fundamentals ever (including McBride)...Buddle has GREAT balance...

Certainly, it would be nice to see Edson and Connor compete for the McBride role for 2006...it will only make them better (to try to outdo each other in league)..

13. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Buddle does look pretty strong at holding off defenders.

Somebody in another thread said he lacked speed. But on that third goal against Dallas, he raced to the far post, beating (I think) Eddie Johnson to the ball, and Johnson is blazing fast.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ok panic gets 4 guesses... and they all count ;)

15. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
  16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This about sums up my feelings.

He's a stud. Period.

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    where?

Until recently I'd have said the A League, before we put him on the MNT or a higher league let's see some consistency over a period.

18. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    He has to be given his chance to shine for the Red, White and Blue first. If he does well, a lot of doors will open real wide. He has to avoid injuries though.

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: where?

Uh, he has shown some consistency. When he's healthy, he's an absolute bear to defend. You are aware he's missed most of this season due to a hip injury, right? And he's still got 8 goals!

When he was healthy last season, he regularly destroyed teams. Ask any KC fan what he can do, and has been doing for quite some time.

I was saying over a year ago that he was the 2nd best forward on the Crew (behind McBride, but better than Cunningham). Now he might be the best forward on the Crew. It's very close.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: where?

He scored 11 goals last year, and has 8 this year despite injuries.

He's shown he can handle MLS defenders fairly easily. So for him to improve, he needs a new challenge.

21. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: where?

Panic - thanks for putting it more succinctly than I was able. I can't believe the "MLS" and "A-League" commentary here, none of which has been supported by any examples or anlaysis. Buddle's ability to move MLS defenders around is the exactly why he needs to go overseas and hone his skills.

And, just to back up the info with numbers, I did my best Peter Hirdt impersonation and ran a little analysis on some of the scoring stats of the league's more well-known players, to see where Buddle stacks up:

Code:
    	Min    G  PK  A  Pts	Min/Goal	Shots	On goal	OGP	INP	Min/Shot	FC	FS	Min / FS	Min / FC	Give/take
    Ralph	1755  11   1  5   27    159.5	100	56	56%	10%	17.6	29	32	54.8	60.5	0.91
    Mathis	1561   9   1  1   19	   173.4	70	32	46%	11%	22.3	28	29	53.8	55.8	0.97
    Twellman	1618  13   0  4   30    124.5	72	38	53%	18%	22.5	28	49	33.0	57.8	0.57
    Buddle	 933   8   0  2   18    116.6	38	20	53%	21%	24.6	9	15	62.2	103.7	0.60
    Ruiz	1967  13   6  3   29    151.3	70	42	60%	10%	28.1	64	77	25.5	30.7	0.83
    Donovan	1446   7   1  5   19    206.6	38	22	58%	16%	38.1	26	29	49.9	55.6	0.90

So, from this, we can see that Buddle is scoring more frequently than any of the other stars in the league (Min/goal). And, if you look at shooting accuracy (OGP = On Goal Percentage, but even better - INP = In Net Percentage, which removes Ralph's numerous SOG's = Shots on Goalkeeper as well as penalty kicks), Buddle is lethal at putting it in the net, almost twice so of all others except Donovan and Twellman.

The one other stat that might lend credence to the impression that he's extremely strong on the ball is that he suffers fouls less frequently than any of these others... is it because he's too fast for defenders to catch (probably not) or because he's able to maintain possession under pressure, where the ref may let possession/advantage play on (maybe)?

He's also so far and away in last place in fouls committed in this group that perhaps he needs to hustle back on D more often or get a little scrappier in the box... then again, that would probably drive his offensive stats even further ahead of the rest of the group. Just some stuff to think about.

Anyway, what the heck does all this mean for where he should play? I had been thinking England or Germany because of his size, but maybe these fouls stats indicate he should head to a "flair" league, like Spain or Italy.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW!

That was some beautiful work. I think you should contact his agent and let him see that stuff before he renegotiates.

I'm not keen on Spain, but you might have something there. The Italians are quite physical, but I don't think it would matter to Young Edson, the problem is getting in there.

Germany is the most open door to American players. He won't get rich, but he'll learn how to work hard, and play in a very tough league.

Holland would be nice, but I'm they are too tight with money. Minimum Non Euro salary is €380,000 and only a few teams can afford that.

EPL: No chance for him
    Belgium: Great place for him to launch himself in Europe. Hard for Yanks to break in over there from what I've seen.

So back to Germany, I'm sure Bayer Leverkusen knows about him, and Berbatov isn't exactly lighting up the scoring charts.

23. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watching the replay of the Crew vs Dallas match from Saturday and I must say that young Buddle is finally starting to win me over. For years I haven't believed the hype lived up to the product, but now that he's healthy and playing hard, he really seems to have the goods. Personally, I'd like to see him stay in Columbus for one full, healthy season and score somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty goals. From that point forward, I think the Bundesliga is the place for him to go. He could do well there with his size, pace and skill. I'm not sure if he could get consistent playing time in the EPL or Spain or Italy, therefore I like the idea of a mid-table Wolfsburg or Bochum for Butter.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, but the numbers point out a need to develop physically before he moves anywhere. If he's being beat up in MLS, he'd be murderered in the bund, or any top league in Europe, for that matter.
    I know this is spec, but unless he's got an EU passport, his credentials don't point to anyone needing to spend a precious non-EU slot on him for the first team for at least a couple years. Before he moves, he has to be at least as good as if not better than the best Americans, South Americans, Africans and Asians coming out. He's not. Yet.
    I'd agree that unless lightning strikes, his coming out party is after 2006.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having seen Fugita play for FC Utrecht this weekend, Buddle can play for them. Right now.

I don't think the numbers show that he isn't physical at all. I saw the games and he is pushing defenders around like high school kids.