Spector's position

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mtr8967, Nov 18, 2004.

1. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Spector appears to be about to break into the US team. But where? He's listed as a centerback, but he seems too good going forward with the ball at his feet. He's played LB, but he's right footed (notice that when he gets forward he never crosses, but cuts inside instead).

To me, this says RB (the US could use some help there) or DM. His ability to defend, dribble, and stay calm makes me wonder if DM isn't the best option.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I had him predicted as a LB or RB for WC2006 but I've changed my mind now.

I think we could go with a 3-5-2 and have Spector partner JOB (Lord willing) behind two wingers (DMB & gasp, Adu) and LD in the middle.

Something like this:

-Johnson-Twellman
    --DMB--LD--Adu
    --JOB------Spector
    Boca-Gooch-Cherundolo
    ---------?

3. TurboRook

TurboRook Member

May 7, 2003
    South Pasadena, CA
    After seeing him in those Man U starts earlier this season, I also couldn't help but think what a great holding midfielder he could be. Outside back is probably the position he'll be vetted at (both with the US and at Man U), but I wouldn't be at all suprised if we see him in front of the central defenders in the end.

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't answer your question other than reiterating what you already said. Personally I;d like to see him get a look at defensive mid, just because of his skills.

But your question brings up a point of contention I have with last evenings broadcast... Mainly the point that Stoner was going on & on about how excited people were to see Spector get a cap (me among them), and to the fans who follow soccer closly, they know about the kid.

What about the people who DON'T know about him?

What are his skills? What makes him, as an 18 year old, so special? What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses? Whats hi situation with Man Utd?
    None of this was touched on... Guys like Ralston, Corrales, etc aren't in the big picture, so who cares? But quite likely Spector will be pushing for a spot in 2006, TELL US ABOUT HIM!

Lee

5. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    ManU does need to think about who'll replace Keane. I wonder if Spector is being considered.

6. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    A while ago there was a thread on the ManU board about this, so you aren't the only one to think about it.

7. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Excellent point, I thought Dempsey got the shaft too. It was his first cap and I think all that was mentioned when he came in was MLS rookie of the year. Thats great but come on, we have to assume somebody is watching that doesn't know who these kids are.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they have a host of young midfielders being groomed, i think spector will be a replacement for gary neville at RB, even if he isnt 30 yet, he sucks.

9. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    So young - maybe, if after another five year's of experience, he exhibits the same fire and fitness that Roy has, he could be the "next" Roy Keane. We have a long way to go on that one, though...

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could get very excited about a central midfield pairing of Spector and Dempsey. And not just for 2010, either. It could be similar to when Cancela was out (or out of favor) and Clint and Shalrie played in the middle. Put DMB and Donovan "beside" them, EJ and McBride up top, and you've really got something.

Counting on Reyna or JOB isn't an option right now.

11. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Personal peeve warning.

Nobody is ever the "next" of a great player, in any sport. Great players are rare and unique. Neither Spector nor anybody else is going to be the next Keane. Spector should try and be the first Spector.

End personal peeve.

I'm not saying he'll have the same on field personality as Keane (pretty much exact opposite!) or be as good but somebody will have to take the position over.

12. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Anyone else pick up on this?

Jonathan Spector
    [​IMG]

Ian Ziering
    [​IMG]

One Steve Sanders,
    There's only one Steve Sanders...

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    they don't do mullets in the 90210

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Spector looks more like Franz Beckenbauer in 1966. Even their hairstyles were a bit similar ... and so was the style of play.

Not that I am comparing Jon with Roy Keane, mind you.

15. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you remember the first couple seasons?

Full on mullet for Mr. Ziering.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The thing with Spector is that I've bnever seen him dump someone. I've seen Dempsey dump a guy trying to counter I've seen Danny Szetela piss Amado Guevara off so much he gets thrown out. Spector is a converted Forward and he's great on the ball and at getting to the ball, it's not that he avoids physical confrontations or is not good at them, it's that he is not a hard or tough player. He can grow this part of his game and personality but where he plays will depend on tactics and formation choices. Who are the great up and coming American wingbacks, Spector, Karby, Whitbread, maybe Simek. Who are the great central midfielders, Clark, Dempsey, Szetela, Gaven, Adu, Martino, Capano. He's not competing directly with Adu but there are only two CM spots in a 4-4-2 and 3 in a 3-5-2. There is a lot of uncertainty in the future but near term in 2006 Spector probably won't take a CB spot without an injury. Left back is not his optimal position because he's right-footed but who else do we have? Boca works well but he's better in the center. Convey has lost his ********ing mind in Reading. Gibbs can man mark well but we haven't seen him against a much faster opponent and his offense is not optimal. Vanney is slow and mistake prone. Spector might be our second string back when we want a balance between attack and defence. On the right there's Dolo, Russel, Hejduk, and Albright. Somehow Dolo isn't the automatic starter, but that might be because Bruce deffers to Dolo's club wishes in the hopes that latter on they wont complain. I don't think Spector brakes into the starting lineup at RB because Dolo, when healthy, is better today. The next friendly we play i hope to see, Dolo--Gooch--Boca--Spector.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mcbride will be long gone by then(if youre talking 2010, unlikie others i still think he ha s ashot at 2006), and donovan moving out of the center for spector and dempsey? not going to happen. we need more quality at the fullback positions anyways, so boca can move back and play CB all the time(where hes best IMO)

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The backline is an interesting topic. For the remiander of the 2006 cycle, Spector's best shot is going to be at left back, which may be our weakest position. The center seems pretty set. I suspect gibbs will end up in the "Carlos Llamosa at the world cup" role, i.e. a fifteen minute man marking substitute to blanket the otehr team's best offensive threat down the stretch. The right back has three (Cher, Russell, Albright), four (hejduk, if you're into that) or five (Simek, depending) prospects.
    In the next cycle, some of it depends on formation. In a 4-4-2I still think the middle seems pretty hard to break into, and you probably still have a similar logjam on the right.
    D-mid looks pretty even deep w/ Dempsey and Szetela and maybe Clark and maybe whatever hard-nosed plugger emerges.So he may still be a left back. In a 3-5-2 he would have a somewhat better chance in midfield, although so might Simek, for instance.
    The thing about left back is that he is almost always going to be a more singnificant upgrade there than at any other position. But then you have to wonder if you're getting full utility.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Talked with Spector after the game, a very humble 18 year old kid.

He said he can, and does play anywhere along the back line; left, center and right back. He told me he prefers playing in the center of the defense if it was his choice.

20. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was a monster 18 months ago in the U17 World Cup- upending players left and right. I really don't know about his timidity since then.

[​IMG]

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whitbread is really a center back. Thats where he has been playing for Pool and he lacks the pace to play on the outside.

Also Dolo's size is a liability at the international level and is going to prevent him from ever being a consistant starter at right back. IMO Albright has a real chance to secure that spot for 06.

Spector's best shot is at left back. While he did well his first time out, I doubt he is going to be a serious factor in 06. He may make the team, but starting a 20 year old defender is a lot different than starting a 20 year old forward or winger. One mistake can cost you a game at the WC. As far as him becoming a D-mid, no way he makes the 06 team in that position.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this doesn't bother me so much. Reminds me of how my daughter plays - more finesse. Has the ability to win the ball, steal it from someone, and then take off and do something with it - as opposed to just "dumping" someone, perhaps getting called for a foul and you lose the ball; in other words, using some skill, not brute force.

But of course, she can put a hit on somebody when necessary. :)
    I suspect Spector can, and does, do the same.

23. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I could se him taking the right back spot. I like Dolo, but Bruce has seen him plenty and has never given him the spot, deferring to Frankie, so I don't think it's gonna happen. Maybe Bruce just likes bigger guys.

Thus, I could see him starting at right back in 2006. He's tall, can defend, is strong on the ball, likes to get forward. If he can cross a bit, I see him being just what Bruce would want on the right back there.

We would be tough to beat with a lineup of...

Boca - 2 of Pope/Gibbs/Gooch - Spector

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could enjoy watching that combo in 06.

Thinking past 2006, doesn't something like this get you excited:

----------------Howard-----------------

Spector-----Gooch---Boca----Karbosyan(sp?)

------------Szetela--Clark--------------
    ---Donovan-------------------Beasley--

-----------Johnson------Adu-----------

Depth: Simek, Whitbred, Marshall, Gibbs, Dempsey, O'Brien, Gavin, Convey, Casey...

The possibilites seem huge.

25. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody suits up for Premier League matches for Manchester United (even as a temporary fill in) without at least the willingness and ability to "dump" someone, if need be.
    Perhaps Spector shows a trifle bit of finesse that we aren't acustomed to seeing in American players. And its a good thing, IMO.

Lee