Spector to Hibernian

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shorter take: serious fans of Spector's clubs would remember him along the lines of "solid pro, never let the side down". Even die-hard fans of Kiroviski's clubs would go "who?".

lmorin and tomásbernal repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will never forget some of those Spector midfield forays when he was at West Ham, that made me wonder what could have been if we stuck him there. he did extremely well there for Avram Grant given the circumstances

Magikfute repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I was talking about as an academy prospect pre-pro. From my recollection, and with the caveat that they were different eras and playing different positions - and Jovan was one of the first young US players to get hyped by a team like ManU so maybe it was more sexy at the time - it seemed to me that Kirovski was more hyped as he was getting to his pro debut than Spector was. Now, that said, he's a striker and had a really prolific run in the Milk Cup and was doing pretty well with ManU Academy, leading the reserve team in scoring in 96. "Sir Alex Ferguson rated the Californian highly and after scoring 20 goals in 21 reserve team outings in the 1995-96 season, he was expected to be granted a permit and possibly break into the first team."

The WP thing was 100% real.

I dug up a couple of articles of that time to give you a sense of what folks were saying. That Kirovski never lived up to the hype is certainly true, tho he had a perfectly respectable career. He just played a bit too slow to impact the top levels.

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/15940/pfa-turns-down-kirovski.html

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/11/13...vski-of-the-us-is-a-manchester-united-reserve

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Huh? Maybe Dortmund. But he was a decently active figure at Sporting, Koln and Galaxy. One of his bigger problems was not staying anywhere for long until he got to MLS. The "next Mark Hughes" lable might have got him reaching a bit too high until he returned to So Cal. Brum was for sure a bridge too far with Bruce.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #655 The Irish Rover, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    In his solitary season in Portugal, he made exactly one apperance in all competitions. He got 23' in the second half against a bottom-feeder. Sporting were 3-0 up at the time.

Not sure how that makes him "decently active" but YMMV

freisland repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I thought I remembered him playing more at Sporting, but it wasn't till he moved to Palace (with Beerholder) he got a decent number of games.

And he certainly never lived up to his ManU hype, which, at the time, was pretty high, justified or. not.

The Irish Rover repped this.