Spector, the New Right Back Sheriff in Town!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Captain10, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Spector has arrived on the scene! His play in the Confederations Cup has been very good and IMO, Spector has won the starting spot at right back.

As such, we need to groom Wynne as his understudy, and let Dolo ride off into the sunset (best case, sit Dolo on the bench.) Do we really need to include yet another aging player that is just coming back from injury?

When are these coaches going to quit calling players past their "sell-by" date and using the US National Team as a geriatric unit for old player rehab? ;)

Spector is the "NEW" Sheriff in town ... and he deservedly has won the starting spot. Go Jonny, Go!!!

2. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    well, he's certainly played well over the past 4 games.

i keep reading about how versatile he is across the back 4.

how effective is he at LB?

if BB decides to go with dolo or frankie at RB, can spector fill in at LB?

i hope he cements his place as a regular though. remember when pearce had the fine run of games last summer, and he seemed to have made the LB position his own?

3. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    Spector has played great since getting the call to start. He's 23 years old. He plays on a decent team in the EPL. He is the future at RB.

Knowing Bob Bradley though, the MLS stalwart Frankie Hejduk will take over the position once he comes back.

4. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Frankie, but that would be a travesty.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, if Spector can play LB close to the level of his play at RB, he should switch.

I think JS is better than Cherundolo or Hedjuk at RB, but LB is such a complete hole that it's a disaster. Bornstein has done better than a I thought he would but still he's the worst starter in our first team 11.

Also, out distribution out of the back has been a major weakness. If we had Spector and Cherundolo in the back, it would help out a lot.

I don't think Bob has ever had anything against Spector it is just that Spector has been hurt so much he's been unreliable. Spector didn't start against Costa Rica but that's not a bad thing either. I wouldn't have started him on that crap surface either given JS's injury history.

6. Reynaldo2000

Reynaldo2000 New Member

May 17, 2007
    It has taken me a looong time to admit this, but Heydude has earned his spot as a starter. He is risky with his spastic play, suspect crosses, and questionable ball skills, but he was the spark in several qualifying games that led us to victory. For some reason, he gives the top tier strikers fits. His speed is invaluable and his heart gives us a much needed shot in the arm at times. He was MOTM vs. Mexico.

7. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I like SPector a lot and have been waiting for him to get his chance. He is capable of playing the entire back line from the reports I have read at West Ham. I love Frankie'e enthusiasm and heart and it make a mockery of everything he has ever worked for if Bob put him out there in the World Cup and he became the next Agoos or Pope. That is what scares me the most about him. I do not question Frankie's heart or speed but I do not want to see him in that position.

Spector has proven himself and I think deserves some serious looks along hte back line.

8. Mike in NYC

Mike in NYC New Member

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Hejduk, but - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't remember him ever making a cross like Spector's for the goal Dempsey scored last Sun.

I haven't seen Spector play that much before this tournament, but he looked very good.

9. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    Spector impressed me the most at this tournament. I can't believe that's him.

10. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No, I don't remember that.

11. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least at the moment, and if everyone's healthy, etc., etc.

I'd feel pretty good with Churundolo at RB, Spector at LB and Hejduk as the main sub at either spot. Is it awe-inspiring, no, but would that be pretty darn good and secure for a position which was nothing but ???? and "ewww" a few games ago? Yep.

Plus, considering what the LB spot looked like, and for plugging in a young player with little international experience, I've been mostly pleased with Bornstein, too. Perhaps Spector and Bornstein for solid team leaders between 2012-2014?

12. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with dolo and spector playing. frankie needs to be there next summer, at the expense of califf and wynne, for his versatility and locker room presence

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector has played a few matches at LB but has looked uncomfortable. The best case is being a clint dempsey type in how dempsey plays RM for us, but its not natural. It may not be awe inspiring, but it should do.