Spector Talk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.redissue.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=228792

"At United, we have some interesting players coming through. I think Italian striker Giuseppe Rossi has a great chance of making it. He's small but he did very well last year. Sylvan Blake was also having a very good season alongside Rossi but the lad was unlucky as he broke a leg.

"Spaniard Gerard Pique, Jonathan Spector, the US defender, and David Jones, our reserves captain, have also got a bright chance of becoming part of the first-team squad."

Please note that this is Martin Ferguson, a scout for United

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Spector at least gets double digits games with ManU's first team this season.... or somewhere else, for that matter.....

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    With Fortune getting hurt Fergie will no doubt hold on to Spector as the backup to the backup to the backup left back.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so he's just three long term injuries away? NIce....My bad..... four....

5. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    Is he still a left back in Fergie's mind? Shouldn't he be plying for a central role, behind Rio and whoever they want to stick next to Rio?

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't be so narrow minded. He's two injuries, a sexual assault charge and a bad doping test away.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    United likes well-rounded defenders. Spector can and will play any of the back 4 positions, along with O'Shea and Phillip Neville. Heinze will play CB or LB, Rio will always be a CB, Gary Neville will always be a RB, Wes Brown can play CB or RB, and Silves can play both CB and LB

8. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Spector's abysmal decision making in the U-20 game against Italy raises valid doubts about him starting in the EPL anytime soon.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yea because one game after coming back from injuries not nearly 100% in the U20's really raises doubts :rolleyes:

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yes, one match against a bunch of teenager is far more conclusive than playing 9 or so matches in the premiership and playing well in those matches. to the point where you won't find a single manchester united fan anything but happy with his performances in those matched

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    On the other hand, he was the best player on the pitch against Argentina, until he came off.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm assuming the pre-season matches in which Spector played are being referred to...as he received rave reviews from them.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    One single game?

Not even Pele can live up to your standards.

:rolleyes:

15. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Exactly. Mental mistakes are punished more severely in the EPL than in a youth game. Spector might get away with them out wide, but not in the center. Like it or not, he looked more like Lalas than Ferdinand when the chips were down. I doubt SAF will be forgiving of that sort of play when the games count, as Howard's experience attests.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    :rolleyes:

Yea, you keep thinking that -- we'll excuse you since you spent a majority of your time in World Rivalries but -- one game does not make a player, and SAF probably cares less about how he plays in the U20's then how he's played with ManU when given the chance.

17. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Forget staying with ManU, he won't see the time on the pitch he needs there. If he does get loaned out to a lower EPL side or even a ColaShip team and plays consistently I think he'd have a legitimate chance at making the roster for the WC and possibly claiming that LB spot as his own.

18. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    So how does he stack up? He is Heinze's backup's backup's backup - but altogether, is he defender 10 at manu or 12? or 6?
    Rio
    Heinze
    Brown
    Silvestre
    ________
    ________
    Spector
    ________
    ________
    ________

Sorry, the other names of the manu defenders are escaping me but I seem to remember him making the bench many times as the only defender so number 6 seems about rite. . .

19. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    Mr. Idiot Wind,
    I think you forget spector was not 100% for italy, heck even sigi said as much in his "its not my fault these kids played like crap" column for mls. that being said, I agree in that the u20 tourney definitley was not a spring board for spector to show what he can do.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 to 11,then, and SAF goes with the "best four" he can put out as opposed to having a designated second-string at each position.
    He needs to go on loan because he needs the PT.

Don't forget that in the three EPL games he played,he was subbed in (at least) one of them for what I could only gather were performance reasons.

21. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ