Spector off to Charlton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by csj1, Jul 9, 2005.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    no - its because of a single match. Apparently the most important he's played based on the commentary over the past month or so.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    competition is a good thing. Especially at this age. I've always disliked guarenteed playing time

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    An absolutely genius statement. I swear Apoo, do you have someone else do posts for you sometimes? Because sometimes you sound smart.

Anyway, what would you prefer, "guaranteed playing time" where he's competing week in and week out under high pressure against many of the best players in the world, or having competion against teammates and losing out, but continuing to compete against his competition in practice?

Seriously, it's just ridiculous to suggest that for a 19year old american who was until pretty recently playing for the Chicago Sockers wouldn't be motivated enough by the Premiership.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe, but I would never assume this about any loan of any player.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Newsflash : Charlton reputedly agreed to loan a central defender (Sorondo) from InterMilan.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Man, this is starting to sound like Blackburn all over again....when, after the ManU deal was 'done', Hughes brought in 3-4 more defenders (including our adopted YA Nelsen).

Coaches, of course, have to look after their priorities, but so do loan-ees. I'm all for Spector besting the competition (other defenders), but you also don't want to give the kid hard-odds..I guess we'll see.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I see in the Sky article that Gardner deal from Tottenham may fall thru...so this would replace that. So we are back to same odds (if both Gardner AND this guy make it to Charlton)

8. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    At very least the match against Italy showed that young Mr Spector has alot to learn before he becomes a reliable central defender. He may have the tools, but not yet the know-how. Sure he's young and bound to get better, but learning as you go in the EPL has a price most teams can't afford, and center defense is a position where mistakes come dear. Unless Charlton or ManU can arrange a brain transplant (might I suggest Michael Parkhurst as a donor) I think Spector will remain an outside defender for the near future. How good a one remains to be seen.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I've never seen a central defender that avoided having games like Spector had against Italy. Can you imagine how silly Eddie Pope would have looked trying to mark the speedy forwards that Spector was up against in the U20s?

10. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    the US has capable centerbacks in Gooch, Gibbs, Carlos, Eddie, and Whitbread so i think that Spector should just battle it out with Convey and the aforementioned Boca for the LB spot. the kid's got a bright future, as evidenced by his Man of the Match performances for Manchester United in the early Premiership season last term, i think he's definitely up to the task of contributing to the USA's upcoming domination of ALL nations in CONCACAF......Azteca will only be so strong in delaying the inevitable!

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    But, Spector isn't just any player is he?

He had several Premiership clubs seeking his services on loan at the midpoint of last season, when he was only 18. That's 18!!!

The loan didn't happen because Manchester United thought they were a hammy away from needing his services. That's Manchester United!!!

If anyone can recite a list of 18-19 y/o defenders that have been coveted (and not as an academy prospect either) by so many clubs in the Big 3 leagues it's you. So, let me have your list.

Also, let me have your list of 18 y/o defenders that have played in the CL, the Premiership, the FA Cup, and the Charity Shield.

12. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Spector's mistakes were mental, not physical, which is why the argument about him not being 100% fit are specious. And sure, everyone can have a bad day at work, but those days are also taken into account when evaluations are made and responsibilities distibuted (ask Howard). But help me out here, just where and when has Spector shown he can play high level consistent CENTRAL defense? You people seem to think that because he's big, has decent speed, and is comfortable with the ball, that he can't miss. Well think again. Decision making is the sine qua non of a top level defender. What evidence so far do you have that Spector has this at a level commensurate to the EPL (Wes Brown aside)? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, I fail to see how you're certain about this so far. His size, speed, and athleticism has bought him a chance, nothing more.

13. Galen

Galen Member

Jul 16, 1999
    El Cerrito
    Although Sorondo is being loaned from Inter Milan, this is the same player who played in central defence last year for Crystal Palace. As such, he'll miss the first 3 games of the season due to a red card from the incident with Peter Crouch near the end of last year.

I'm hoping that this will be a replacement for the Gardener[sp] transfer, which looks like it may fall through due to a stress fracture in the player's foot. Not just because all the Tottenham fans have been quite eager to get him off their squad.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he's been called one of the smartest (as in almost never making mistakes) young players in the ManU system. "Classy and calm" are the terms most normally associated with his ability.

once again, I have about 8 First Team matched, friendlies against the likes of Bayern Munich and AC Milan, and countless reserve matches - you have a single U20 match

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Not true on any level. (Just one) If you really hurt, you are already playing differently, and trying to compensate. That difference is enough to cost you against a good player.

16. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    This is absolutley untrue. Spector's progressive loss of minutes to the likes of Phil Neville and Quinton Fortune last year was more worrysome.

It looked at the begining of the season like he would be in the rotation, getting an occassional game with the squad, especially when Fergie thought well enough of him to include him for the Charity Shield. I know Heinze came in and that was a big factor, but his complete disappearance was worrisome and as the year went on even injuries couldn't force him into the squad.

I just am not sure about this move, you want to force an 18 year old to win playing time against a bunch of Premier League vets when the club he is with has no stake in his future? Thats a daunting task.

I don't really care all that much about his future at Manchester United currently, my main concern is getting the boy some minutes so that he has a chance to impress before WC 2006.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I don't know how worrisome. SAF got bitch-slapped early when it became clear Chelsea would likely only drop a couple points here and there. He knew there was little/no room for error pretty early in the season, and although he came some minutes to a few younger players- for the most part, if he was going to go down, it was going to be with the vets that cost him a lot of $$$. I can't blame him for that- he woulda been roundly criticized had Spector ever cost them a match (with Heinze on the bench, or Neville or??).

The best thing for Spector is to be at another Premiership club right now- the pressure is too great on Man U (still). I just hope this is the right one (opportunity) and Curbishley isn't as tight-assed about things..

18. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    The situation is a similar one to Kieran Richardson's where he found himself stuck on the bench behind the first team regulars and yet when he was loaned out, became probably the difference between Premier League and 1st Div. Football for West Ham. At this point the reserve league no longer holds any value for Spector; if he wants to improve he needs to be playing at the highest level. This is absolutely a great opportunity for him.

19. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I like Richardson too. But I don't think he was so good that he managed to have an impact on West Ham without playing a single match for them.
    :) :)

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

once again you are making way too much sense.....remember the pecking order....

....and look out for superdave.....

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

why do you look for superdave?..your rival?:)
    and what is pecking order....?

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
  23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    nah....it's just that superdave and myself "disagree" on some things....he's really not a bad guy at all....

...the pecking order is a FACT of life at big clubs (superdave thinks it's just my theory )....and is covered in some other threads...let me know if you can't find them and I'll pm them to you....

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana